Scottish Premiership Game 1: Rangers (H) Sunday 06/08/17 13:30

Andy_P

Agree. McHugh has to start in midfield.

If McManus is fit enough he goes in for me. As many people say...he only raises his game against Rangers...

Carson

Kipre McManus Dunne

Tait Cadden McHugh Bigi Frear

Tanner

Moult

This looks like the team for me. Only possible change would maybe be Heneghan for McManus. Just whoever is fittest I suppose.

The good thing about that team is we can easily switch it to a 442 if need be.

• Like 1

Personally I'd think it'd be preferable to have McManus start over Heneghan. Whether fans like him or not, his experience and ability to coach the younger and more inexperienced players through games could be very important when he's partnered with Kipré and Dunne.

Rangers may have a fight on their hands to finish top 3 this season but with quality like Alves and Dorrans, they'll be too good for us if their fitness is up to scratch.

To be fair to Robinson though, he's no feart of going toe to toe with Rangers, which is refreshing. Unfortunately, I think the game is coming a signing or two too early, particularly with Moult toiling.

I agree and I'm a bit concerned at the nature of some of the pass backs I've seen during League Cup matches and them not working out against Premier League teams. Fingers crossed, though.

Agree. McHugh has to start in midfield.

If McManus is fit enough he goes in for me. As many people say...he only raises his game against Rangers...

Carson

Kipre McManus Dunne

Tait Cadden McHugh Bigi Frear

Tanner

Moult

McManus has never been fit enough or committed enough to play for us for some time now.

McManus has never been fit enough or committed enough to play for us for some time now.

Certainly up for debate.

As others have said above, Heneghan for me, if fit goes ahead of McManus. I'm just assuming he's not ready.

Main point, I guess, is I'd do whatever I could to ensure McHugh starts in midfield.

• Like 1

I don't think we can play three at the back with McManus in the middle of the three. He's far too slow for it - even Edinburgh City were able to score when they got one chance to get past our midfield. If we're going to play him it has to be part of a back four.

Why should Robinson let rangers dictate how he sets his team up. He should set out the team the way he wants to play and let rangers worry about our formation. After all we are the home team.

Good point. Lasley implied on the MFC podcast that we had lost our way in recent years by adjusting our game to nullify the opposition, rather than focusing on our own strengths.

• Like 2

Good point. Lasley implied on the MFC podcast that we had lost our way in recent years by adjusting our game to nullify the opposition, rather than focusing on our own strengths.

I'm glad the manager team are actively trying to change that. I was generally a McGhee fan but he really began to bug me towards the end of his tenure when it seemed like every game we set up to nullify the opposition and try not to lose, even at home to the likes of St J and Dundee.

Not sure what to expect from the Rangers on Sunday but I don't think they are anything we should fear. I think we'll stick with 3 at the back and hopefully Moult will be fit to give atleast 60 mins.

Think it'll be fairly close, I'll go for 1-1. Tanner for us before Miller (obviously) equalises.

• Like 1

I see this as the perfect first game. Our season is unlikely to be defined by results against last season's top three so I'd rather we give it a go with our preferred formation and we'll learn a lot more about how the team is shaping up. That said if we're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go then a 5-5-0 will suit me fine.

Buzzing for the new season and couldn't ask for a better opener. I think this has really added to the excitement. It's been a few years since we have had as many new signings and optimism around the club. In terms of Sevco, they are in a pretty similar position to ourselves - loads of new players trying to gel together. I would like to think we are in a far more advanced position in that regard. My hope is we can take advantage of this, a lot of their foreign players haven't played in Europe let alone Scotland. The frantic pace is not something some of their new guys will be used to so I think we should try and take advantage of this. Although a lot of our guys are from England they are more used to this British style of playing. Let's start off at the pace we had in the first half v Morton, moving the ball quickly.

In terms of the team, I think it will pick itself for the most part

Carson
Kipre Heneghan Dunne
Tait McHugh Cadden Bigi Frear
Tanner
Moult

Robinson seems to be putting a lot of focus on aerial balls from the flanks. I'm not convinced we will find much success here with Alves in there. Although King Louis might find a way. I would try to utilise our threat through the middle more with Tanner and Cadden. I especially like the look of Cadden in this new role. As some have alluded to McHugh in midfield is a must. With him and Bigi in there I think we can best most centre midfield partnerships in the league. Hoping there will be a healthier home support than normal against them on Sunday and create a decent noise. Optimistic 2-1 Motherwell

Good to read that you're optimistic Luke. However Heneghan may not be fit and Moult is nowhere near 100%. I hope that Plummer is reasonably fit, if he has to slot in.

Oh well bang goes that then haha :suicide: I was under the impression both would make a recovery. Nervous about putting this new boy in but would rather this than have McHugh out midfield