Scottish Premiership Game 1: Rangers (H) Sunday 06/08/17 13:30

Andy_P

We'll certainly learn something from the Sunday's game but maybe not as much as many folk think. Our defence may not be at full strength and we'll be short up front. I think what is clear is that we'll go with one out and out striker. A lot of unanswered questions remain from last season and it'll be interesting to get a few answers at least.

Seems that Rangers will be without both Krankjar [ sorry for spelling] and Tavernier.

This is a boost as the suggestions coming out of Ibrox is that the Croatian was looking very good and that Tavernier was showing up well.

Their absences should markedly reduce their threat from dead ball situations.

As a wee digression I was speaking to a rabid Spurs fan who said that of all the Croatians to play for them he was of the view that Krankjar was up there with Modric in terms of ability and guile. I know it was some time ago but his absence I feel helps us.

We have nothing to fear from this mob as they are no better or worse than us. With the right attitude we can take something from this game.

Not according to Expert punTIT Stephen Thompson. Rangers will win because they are stronger than Motherwell. He gets paid for that sh1t ! He may be right but I fkin hope he is not ! Not at least for the 1st game....

I hope we get stuck in about them. Give them no respect - cause they are not due any.

And we have our superhero mascot who is growing on me already. The power is with us on Sunday

• Like 1

Why should Robinson let rangers dictate how he sets his team up. He should set out the team the way he wants to play and let rangers worry about our formation. After all we are the home team.

Generally, I think if you go toe to toe with a team that's on a different level of quality you are likely to come off the worst, whereas if you try to tactically nullify a teams advantages you have a fighting chance.

The thing is we are going into a game tomorrow and we don't really know how good or bad either team is.

I agree with what you say from a tactical perspective. However, against Rangers, we have tried that approach over the last, what, 20 years(?) and not won a single league game.

It's the exception, I know, but if we had just gone toe to toe with them over the same period, I suspect we would have won maybe a couple.

There needs to be a middle ground, and I'm grateful Robinson's press conference talked about simply trying to win the game rather than the endless years of "We need to be at our best and hope they are not" patter from a series of managers.

It is going to be interesting with two teams lining up with many new players. Regardless of the result, I don't think either of us will know where we really stand for a couple of months yet.

• Like 1

Robinson is certainly making all the right noises pre-season and in the build up to this one. He didnt waste any time moving on players that werent cutting it. I guess we will soon see whether the replacements are the upgrade we are hoping for!

• Like 1

Generally, I think if you go toe to toe with a team that's on a different level of quality you are likely to come off the worst, whereas if you try to tactically nullify a teams advantages you have a fighting chance.

The thing is we are going into a game tomorrow and we don't really know how good or bad either team is.

exactly my point. Out with Celtic there ain't a great deal of difference in ability from what was on show last season, except when we set out to defend under Mcgee we generally got pumped. When Robinson came in it was a matter of just surviving. Now we seem to be a much stronger team physically. So let's just go for it and see what happens. Will certainly be much more entertaining.

---------------------Carson

-----Kipre---------Heneghan------Dunne

-------------------Mchugh--- Bigirimana

Tait------------------Caden------------Frear

---------------------Tanner--------

-------------------Moult

Subs:

Griffiths

Plummer

McMillan

Rose

Campbell

Fisher

Bowman

We should (are) going into a home game with full intent of picking up 3 points. First game of the season is not a good marker for the rest of the season and there are always one or two outlying final scores across the card. We are a bit blind about tomorrow but Robinson is making the right noises and the above looks like a team which should be very capable of competing at this level. Forget the noises about rangers and play our own game tomorrow and we will do fine.

• Like 1

I don't think Rangers have a significantly superior team to us anymore. Only recently they have been very much humbled.

Its refreshing to har Robinson say "All we hear is Rangers this, Rangers that" and then concentrate on us.

There's a difference between giving the opponent respect and being aware of their dangers rather than sitting in, inviting pressure and surrendering possession.

We shouldn't approach this game with any more concern than we would Aberdeen or St Johnstone.

We seem to have a lot more pace in the team, in preseason have retained the ball well and look to have goals throughout the team.

Should approach this with a positive mentality and as others have said, play our own game and aim for the win.

---------------------Carson

-----Kipre---------Heneghan------Dunne

-------------------Mchugh--- Bigirimana

Tait------------------Caden------------Frear

---------------------Tanner--------

-------------------Moult

Subs:

Griffiths

Plummer

McMillan

Rose

Campbell

Fisher

Bowman

That's the team right there, without doubt. Only possibility is McManus making the bench.

Robinson is certainly making all the right noises pre-season and in the build up to this one. He didnt waste any time moving on players that werent cutting it. I guess we will soon see whether the replacements are the upgrade we are hoping for!

Agreed. He's definitely talking the talk and I like him a lot, but there is that 5% of me that can't help but think he is Baraclough part 2. Bara talked a phenomenal game, made a ton of exciting signings, sports scientists etc etc, but was absolutely howling.

I think Robinson will go on to be absolutely brilliant for us or gone by Christmas, there'll be no in the middle.

I really like how Robinson speaks, how he identifies areas of the team that need strengthened and in general the cut of his jib and I think it is important to like your manager and buy into what he's trying to achieve. I really hope, for many reasons, that he does well.

It would also be preferable if we had a manager that was here for a few seasons. Cannae be sacking/changing managers every season.

• Like 3

Watching loads of Rangers fans buy tickets.

So we've gone back to the days of just providing tickets to whoever wants to give us their money - great. Thought the play-off had introduced a method of keeping them away from the 'home' ends. Typical f.....g Motherwell - 1 step forward, 2 back.

Were they were wearing colours?