2016 Season

Optimus Prime

2nd last game of the season away to Rangers Development played at Palace of Arts Bellahouston Park. A goalless first half which was a pretty even contest. Young Rangers were fast and physical and MLFC seemed to have a nervousness about them. Second half was to see MLFC dominate the half and manage to out physical Rangers. Constant danger from very fast Rangers forwards but generally MLFC contained them well. A Suzanne Grant header at the back post gave MLFC the lead. A number of chances followed for Well to seal the game. I think it was a defensive error allowed Rangers to equalise. Scotland U17 Captain Amy Muir, I believe it was, from 5 yards out. Well did miss Stacy Cook out after last weeks red card. Plenty of good performances from Well with the defenders especially , generally coping with the pressure. Midfield bossed the game in the second half. On another day the forwards would have had the normal bag full, but not to be today.

SWPL 2 next season will see opposition stronger and more physical than the opposition today so will be a real test for MLFC to strengthen and challenge in the SWPL. Next week will be at Kilmarnock.

Final score 1-1

• Like 1

Update from Latest league table . With no explanatory notes MLFC nows shows 3 points less, and Celtic Academy are plus 3 points.

What does this mean. Promotion for MLFC has been gained as teams in 2,3 and 4 places are Development teams i.e with a senior team in SWPL and therefore unable to gain promotion to same league under current rules. The league is still to be won. MLFC 1 game left with 46 points. Celtic Academy 41 points and 2 games left. MLFC have a vast goal difference so Celtic would need to win both games and score about 50 goals to win league. Minimum of a draw would see MLFC win Title away at Kilmarnock.

I am quite critical of the SWF as the league table or anywhere on there website there is no explanation. MLFC will have been made aware of this by letter I am sure, but I am not in the know so not 100% sure of the exact circumstances.

Will still be there on Sunday hoping to see MLFC gain second consecutive league title. #COYW

Update from Latest league table . With no explanatory notes MLFC nows shows 3 points less, and Celtic Academy are plus 3 points.

What does this mean. Promotion for MLFC has been gained as teams in 2,3 and 4 places are Development teams i.e with a senior team in SWPL and therefore unable to gain promotion to same league under current rules. The league is still to be won. MLFC 1 game left with 46 points. Celtic Academy 41 points and 2 games left. MLFC have a vast goal difference so Celtic would need to win both games and score about 50 goals to win league. Minimum of a draw would see MLFC win Title away at Kilmarnock.

I am quite critical of the SWF as the league table or anywhere on there website there is no explanation. MLFC will have been made aware of this by letter I am sure, but I am not in the know so not 100% sure of the exact circumstances.

Will still be there on Sunday hoping to see MLFC gain second consecutive league title. #COYW

Thanks, as always for the update. Our ladies team has done very well and this reflects well on the club. It does seem a very poor show from the powers that be no public explanation has been given for the points deduction.

SWFL 1 South Title delivered at Kilmarnock this afternoon FC Kilmarnock 2 v 3 MLFC. Second successive promotion for the Ladies.

A very early goal, played down the right wing Clare Doherty took it to the bye line put it low in to the box where Suzanne Grant knocked it past the keeper. MLFC had a couple of other chances narrowly missed or knocked off by the referee. Kilmarnock were really up for the game and equalised near the end of the first half.

MLFC lined up with some players playing out of position with Dionne Brown moved from left back up to midfield and Nicole Goodwin starting at left back. Sophie G, Amy Bulloch and Laura Smith all started on the bench. Kilmarnock made it a good challenging contest and 1-1 at half time.

2nd half and MLFC had most of the possession with Kilmarnock threatening on the break. A pass through the middle allowed Dibsy (Helen Templeton) passed her marker and bearing straight down on the keeper calm stroked the ball in. Some subs were made and Sophie G came on to partner Grant up front. Picking up the ball middle of the pitch Sophie G took the ball forward and brushed off the challenges from the defender to calm stroke the ball past the keeper. Megan Burns had a shot come back off the post and the Kilmarnock keeper being kept quite busy. Kilmarnock earned a penalty in extra time to make the final score 2-3.

Celebrations, Photo's and presentation of League Trophy and medals all followed.

Another good year, albeit disappointment in both cup competitions , MLFC now playing in the big league of SWPL 2, 8 teams playing each other 3 times with carrot of promotion to SWPL 1 for the league winning team. Opposition in this league will be fitter, faster and more skilful . With appropriate levels of investment, commitment and organisation I would hope that MLFC could be up there challenging for the title. Well done to coach Mark Kirk, captain Stacey Cook and and all the staff and players.

A great result so congratulations to our Ladies team, players and management. They really have done well. Hopefully the club will acknowledge their fantastic achievement. Onwards and upwards. No doubt the squad will require strengthening but there's time for that. Now is the time for celebration!

MFC Podcast - Fundraising for MFC Ladies

On Friday we had a very productive conversation with Dawn from the Motherwell Community Trust where we discussed ways in which the podcast could help support the great work carried out by the trust.

The first part of this will be the proceeds of our Football Quiz on November 28th going to towards the Motherwell F.C. Ladies team.

We have also set up a Crowd Funding page for donations to be made to the MFC Ladies team.

The purpose of this is quite simple, it’s a fantastic achievement for any Motherwell side to win their league and given the ladies have achieved this in successive season is amazing – this is a chance for fans to support the club - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/mfc-ladies

As we have already stressed the money will be used to support the team with costs whether it be buying strips, training equipment, etc – the Motherwell F.C. Community Trust invest a great deal in the women’s team and also are actively seeking sponsorship deals for the team.

Our fundraising efforts will hopefully allow fans to make a contribution to the team and help further boost their chances as they make the step up to SPL2 next season.