Referee's To Go On Strike

delboy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the best idea they can come up with to combat the criticism is to deny us our weekend fitba fix?!!! They need to start being more open and honest after games by speaking to the media. That is long overdue in my opinion and MUST happen soon, as this will make them appear more accessible and break the wall of silence and suspicion that surrounds our match officials.

Well done the referees.

In recent weeks we have had John McKendrick and Steven McLean with Lennon invading their personal space and swearing at them, we have had Willie Collum receiving death threats and we had that ridiculous rant at Tynecastle about a referee who had one mistake. Thats before you drag out all the paranoid nonsense over the Dougie McDonald decision. And you can probably add in the ridiculous media circus and scrutiny he faced in his games at Falkirk and Hibs after it. No matter the mistakes they make all that is totally unacceptable. And I'll wager some negotiation will take place and this point has already been made and will be complete after tomorrow's papers. Wouldn't be surprised if its called off by Tuesday.

I watched a few of the rugby internationals over the weekend and the difference in refereeing standards is quite marked.

Whenever foul was given the ref told us what exactly it was given for and then obviously the video ref situations none of which disrupted or delayed the game, the players were treated with courtesy and respect by the ref and vice versa.

Lennon has taken it a bit far.. ok really far but these guys deserve a hell of a lot flak. the standard of referees in this country (england and scotland) is shocking. They are getting basic decisions wrong every weekend. i think the assistants (linesmen) deserve the majority of it because they do nothing to help the ref even when they have the best view.

just my thoughts.

Hopefully it will lead to a radical shake-up then rather than a damp squib.

Football is the only major high profile sport in the world that i can think of that doesn't take advantage of technology. In rugby the rules are fantastic and the respect the players need to show the referee is night and day compared to football. Yes football is a passionate game but is it any less so than rugby? No.

The problem is that some people argue that introducing technology to the game would ruin it in some way, but if we are determined to keep things the same then we need to accept mistakes happen very very regularly.

I watched goals on sunday today and seen about ten red cards dished out in English games yesterday, they dont show you a replay of the incident either just one run through and i had to rewind sky every time to watch the situation and see if they were merited or not,referees - although better trained than me - dont have this pleasure and call decisions as they see them.

What we do need is the introduction of some sort of 4th official who has access to instant television replays rather than a wee subs board. We don't need it for every foul just the major decisions in the game. Some weeks we probably wouldn't need them at all. It would completely eradicate the issue altogether and cost almost nothing to implement since every club films the game in some format anyway.

If this isn't enough for some people, how about a short press release after the game from the Referee highlighting why he made certain decisions, bookings, sending offs, penaltys - nothing to in depth,

quite simply : Booked Maloney in 66th minute for what i believed to be simulation.

Then that's it, matter over. The decision has been made accept it. It's the mysters that stirs things up

Lennon has taken it a bit far.. ok really far but these guys deserve a hell of a lot flak. the standard of referees in this country (england and scotland) is shocking. They are getting basic decisions wrong every weekend. i think the assistants (linesmen) deserve the majority of it because they do nothing to help the ref even when they have the best view.

just my thoughts.

i a agree with this.the refs should be getting it for this.

this is clearly celtics fault but if the refs do strike they should all be sacked.no other job that i can think of would people go on strike because they were accused of making a mistake, players,managers and everyone else involved in football are criticised for poor performances and lets be honest some of the refs have been shocking in recent years and deserve it.so now they want to strike because of it,shameful.i also think reids comments about dougie are spot on, he should resign or be sacked.what kind of amateur organisation allows a member who lied and tried to convince others to lie keep his job?

what kind of amateur organisation allows a member who lied and tried to convince others to lie keep his job?

Well........to be fair, just about every fucking company in this world these days.

The reason they are striking isn't because of the criticism apparently but the fact that their are living in fear of reprisal attacks.

Sacking them isn't the answer either to be fair, at the end of the day if you honestly think this lot are bad, what are the second tier we employ to replace them gawny be like.

Hit where the reprisal threats are coming from then, only one area attracts that kind of response to their performance, hitting all the games is not the answer when 90% of us have done fuck all but put up with the eejits over the years.

If they strike ban them for ever again officiating, they're shite anyway. 2nd tier will be worse but support them and they'll improve, hopefully beyond the current level of imbeciles we have now.

fair play to the refs. the last month has been ridiculous and we all know who's to blame. celtic have ruined fitba and something needs to be done. the referee's decision is final and if you cannae accept that then you shouldn't be playing the game. the hassle mcdonald, collum and dallas have had and the abuse lennon gave mclean has been completely unacceptable and something serious should be done about reid and lennon. the other clubs should call a emergency meeting at the sfa and try and push through new guidlines about respecting refs with heavy punishments if you don't, hopefully that would be enough to convince them to put next weeks games on.

someone mentioned rugby, did you not see the farce at the end of wales-fiji or are you aware of the elv's and the controversy around the breakdown?

refs make mistakes in every league and in every sport even in the nfl where they have replays, a squad of refs and and as much time as they need they still have dodgy calls.

someone mentioned rugby, did you not see the farce at the end of wales-fiji or are you aware of the elv's and the controversy around the breakdown?

refs make mistakes in every league and in every sport even in the nfl where they have replays, a squad of refs and and as much time as they need they still have dodgy calls.

Yeah absolutely nothing will ever be foolproof but this is becoming a major major row every single week now, as opposed to something that happens now and again.

See to be fair, yes Celtic, Neil Lennon and Dr Reid need to take a lot of responsibility for this but another major player has been the tabloid Media in this country - granted they are only reporting the news - but they are not stupid, they know how to dig fresh stories to coincide with whatever contravertial headline they can drag out and attatch to Lennon or Celtic recently.

It sells papers yes, but it's selling our game down the swanny aswell now. We must look a bit of a laughing stock.

Hopefully it will lead to a radical shake-up then rather than a damp squib.

Football is the only major high profile sport in the world that i can think of that doesn't take advantage of technology. In rugby the rules are fantastic and the respect the players need to show the referee is night and day compared to football. Yes football is a passionate game but is it any less so than rugby? No.

The problem is that some people argue that introducing technology to the game would ruin it in some way, but if we are determined to keep things the same then we need to accept mistakes happen very very regularly.

I watched goals on sunday today and seen about ten red cards dished out in English games yesterday, they dont show you a replay of the incident either just one run through and i had to rewind sky every time to watch the situation and see if they were merited or not,referees - although better trained than me - dont have this pleasure and call decisions as they see them.

What we do need is the introduction of some sort of 4th official who has access to instant television replays rather than a wee subs board. We don't need it for every foul just the major decisions in the game. Some weeks we probably wouldn't need them at all. It would completely eradicate the issue altogether and cost almost nothing to implement since every club films the game in some format anyway.

If this isn't enough for some people, how about a short press release after the game from the Referee highlighting why he made certain decisions, bookings, sending offs, penaltys - nothing to in depth,

quite simply : Booked Maloney in 66th minute for what i believed to be simulation.

Then that's it, matter over. The decision has been made accept it. It's the mysters that stirs things up

I agree 100% with everything you've said there apart from the bit in bold. I don't think we need press statements to clear things up. 99% of the time it's obvious why refs make decisions (from their view it looked like a pentalty), they just happen to be wrong sometimes. If a ref is going to come out and admit they made a mistake then I think that will cause far more trouble than is caused just now.

As for the ref strike, fair play to them. It's clearly not about getting criticism as that's being going on since fitba started, it's about the aftermath that creeps into their and their families daily lives.

The teams and fans I feel sorriest for are Ross County and QoS who have a final next weekend. Bet some fans have booked transport, hotels, etc that will no doubt cost them a fortune to cancel. I remember what cancelling accommodation cost me in Inverurie. Whilst I support the referees I think they have sold some fans down the river by not giving a bit more notice.

Though on fatcalf's point about a blanket strike not being the answer. I think their grievance is as much about the tabloid press as it is Celtic. Therefore giving them no matches to report on makes it harder for them to sell papers.

don't really know what to say here. I mean refs are only human and some of the personal abuse they get goes way to far. Yet again when you play one of the old firm the bias they seem to get is rediculous. Conclusion this is one fucked up country