Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

The automatic reaction to the Lambert suggestion is a big hearty belly laugh.  But I guess with Kilmarnock managing to get Stevie Clarke in and even I suppose Rangers managing to attract Gerrard would appear to have emboldened one or two clubs to ask the question of people they simply wouldn't have dared even contacting previously. 

I still think this is St Mirren attempting to puff out their feathers to  make themselves appear to have a bit more about themselves than they actually have.  Being linked with a English Premiership manager from last season will do no harm in shifting season tickets and hints at a level of ambition to any players that may turn the head of players they are attempting to sign. 

Fully expect them still be choosing from the usual suspects like Neilson, Goodwin or McCulloch when the time comes. 

On 26/05/2018 at 4:12 PM, Andy_P said:

I don't think he got more than a couple of first team appearances if I remember rightly.  Was sacked after he smashed Jim Griffin in training.

That was the day I was working in the home dressing room, installing the steam room, the dressing room door flew open and the whole team rushed in with blood pouring from Griff's mouth. 

• Like 1

Well that is a blast from the past. Completely forgot about him. 

He had HUGE potential and was a damn good player. Just kept getting bad injuries one after another. 

Be good to see him back at Fir Park as long as he has a crap game. No offence Steven.

If I remember rightly as teenagers he and hutchy were our centre back pairing in a home game v Rangers and the bigots never scored. Cant remember if we won or drew. Indeed a shame about his various injuries, wish him well.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

If I remember rightly as teenagers he and hutchy were our centre back pairing in a home game v Rangers and the bigots never scored. Cant remember if we won or drew. Indeed a shame about his various injuries, wish him well.

Hutchy and Saunders would have been playing boys club football the last time we beat Rangers in the league. Kinniburgh and Partridge at the back that day.

The game you are thinking of is the one where Jim O'Brien missed a pen in the last minute to win it. And Yassin Mouatkil ran riot against Jerome Rothen.

21 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

My eyes are nearly bleeding looking back at reports of their pairing together vs Rangers , I might have missed the game youre thinking off but safe to say in general they conceded hell of a lot

9 hours ago, Yassin said:

Weird that Saunders getting a Scotland cap ahead of Reynolds was a laughable decision at the time but they've both managed to work their way to pretty much the same level nowadays.

To be fair, Saunders was only called up at last minute as he was with U21 squad already and ended up getting a cap.

:lol:

13 minutes ago, daver said:

Was that the game Clarkson played (and scored) as well?

No, Clarkson's caps were a good bit earlier.

It was towards the end of season 07'08 Clarky got his goal, away to the Czech Republic. Ross McCormack came on that day also but didn't quite have the same feel good factor as he was all but away at that point.

Saunders cap was at Pittodrie.  Can't remember exactly when but it might have been against the Faroe Islands but as sbcmfc says I also recall it being a case of "right time, right place" for him  with the U21's not being a million miles away.

Motherwell > Sheffield Wednesday > Aberdeen (146 appearances)

Motherwell > Ross County > Dumbarton > New Saints > Livingston (newly promoted, 0 appearances)

Yeah they're in the same league, however you could have brought up the semantics of that in your "mainstay" post, but you elected not to. However, your premise is watertight. I'll shut up now.