Agm 2017

Andy_P

A brief summary of some of the stuff that sticks in the mind from the AGM earlier this evening.

Not a lengthy meeting but fairly positive stuff to report from the board and the manager nonetheless.

It was reaffirmed that 40% of transfer incomings goes to the club with 60% to creditors but what was further explained was that any costs involved with the transfer are deducted before anything goes to the club or creditor. For example if we got £100,000 for a player and £10,000 of that went to the player it would then be 100% between club and creditor of the remaining £90,000.

Debt has been reduced on the previous accounting year with Well Society funding contributing largely to that. The topic of future finance came up a couple of times with Jim McMahon giving an assurance that we would be in the coming year, with a later remark (curiously from the manager actually) suggesting we may well be "cash positive" was the term used over the next three years.

The "why an undisclosed fee" question that comes up here regularly was answered and it is apparently almost always at the request of the buying club - to the point it is actually included as part of contracts.

It was suggested 90% of our negotiations with players involve agents although one significant transfer signing this season negotiated his own terms.

The minimum wage stuff came up with the club feeling somewhat aggrieved at the impression left. It was emphasised all staff are paid what is legally due to them. The issue would seem to have arisen whereby sums come off an employee's salary to cover payments to the club (e.g. for a Well Lotto subscription) which if the end sum is looked at could suggest they are paying less than is due. It was inferred the transactions are actually in the employees benefit e.g. dosh comes off their wage for a ticket for a game rather whereas now they have to go to the bank, get money and pay that way etc. The SPFL are both comfortable and supportive of the club's position.

A re-evaluation of stewarding is ongoing in general but further thoughts will be given to the housing of both Celtic and Rangers fans (who have recently returned to the Main Stand) in sections in there. The club are aware of issues but are also keenly aware of the benefit of the six figure sum ticket sales from their presence in the POD can bring in.

Interestingly there apparently seems to be some desire from some involved in the security and stewarding process that the Bois move to the opposite side of the East Stand. There was a claim that the Bois themselves aren't against this proposal. The board noted however that the Cooper stand predominantly used by families is of course immediately adjacent to that section and indeed those who currently use those sections would require to be consulted before any move were to happen.

There is a proposal to replace the scoreboard up for consideration shortly and a survey has been undertaken on the PA system also. The company involved in the PA evaluation have experience in improving at least one of other top flight ground.

Stephen Robinson gave a brief run through of the season thus far and reckoned it had been a good start given that we have one of the lowest budgets in the league.

He was lavish in his praise of Keith Lasley whom he believed had completely surpassed his expectations when he offered him the role.

On the recent injury worries he was positive that most if not all will be in a position to return if not on Saturday then shortly after.

Work is ongoing to try to secure Peter Hartley on a permanent deal. Discussions are ongoing about adding to the squad with at least one striker and a central defender on the wanted list. The club are aware however that with the perception of being flush sums discussed have rocketed. Robinson insists the club will continue to trade within its means. He acknowledged that signing players from Scottish sides was particularly difficult in this regards.

Negotiations are ongoing with some current players about extensions also. Some deals he pointed out were not as clear cut as simply offering and accepting terms with, to use one example, the location of a players family having a bearing on whether they might accept an offer.

Longer term he hopes to build a core of first team players that is perhaps added to each in each window and further supplemented by those graduating from within the club. He remarked that Allan Campbell was one who had made the progression but cautioned that he still had to be managed carefully to avoid burnout.

Lessons have been learned about handling a schedule such as the three successive Celtic games in six days and the mental and physical repercussions of such a run of games.

The issue of referees was raised but those who spoke didn't go into huge detail. The message was they preferred discuss matters privately with the SFA and match delegates with the manager keen to ensure players tried to keep their discipline.

• Like 14

I think the well bois moving to the other end would be a good benefit. I get that parents in the Cooper stand may object but I take my two kids 6 and 4 and would fully backing. Could be a great benefit in the fact the it could create a bigger atmosphere focusing on the team and what we are good it

I think this maybe one of those damned if we do damned if we dont decisions. While it would potentially create a raucus atmosphere at that end as the Cooper stand would i think be then likely to break into song more often, I think it would leave the other end of the ground with all the atmosphere of the moon when we are attacking there. I would be tempted to leave as is but it does appear the police and our own stadium security are behind this.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Assuming the bois move is due to the close proximity to away fans?

Might be mistaken but I'm not aware of any genuine problems between sets of fans there and would hate to see fans moved to reduce what is probably no more than over-exuberant goading. That's a welcome part of the game.

If there's a bigger problem there thats costing the club money to steward then fair enough.

A brief summary of some of the stuff that sticks in the mind from the AGM earlier this evening. The "why an undisclosed fee" question that comes up here regularly was answered and it is apparently almost always at the request of the buying club - to the point it is actually included as part of contracts.........The minimum wage stuff came up with the club feeling somewhat aggrieved at the impression left. It was emphasised all staff are paid what is legally due to them. The issue would seem to have arisen whereby sums come off an employee's salary to cover payments to the club (e.g. for a Well Lotto subscription) which if the end sum is looked at could suggest they are paying less than is due. It was inferred the transactions are actually in the employees benefit e.g. dosh comes off their wage for a ticket for a game rather whereas now they have to go to the bank, get money and pay that way etc. The SPFL are both comfortable and supportive of the club's position.....the club are aware however that with the perception of being flush sums discussed have rocketed.

Thanks for the excellent summary Andy; that must have taken some time.

Well, lets hope that put to bed the issue of undisclosed fees once and for all and some posters now cut the club some slack. Hopefully too it answers some of the criticism the club received over the paying below the minimum wage story.

An interesting comment too about players and agents upping demands if they think the club is awash with cash.

Thanks for the summary.

I think it would make for a better atmosphere to have the bois near our own fans, but half the fun is ripping the opposition fans, so I dont see them going for it.

So, living wage argument aside, that wages report was the same old lazy reporting weve been used to.

An act of folly moving the 'atmosphere' towards the North side of the ground. I'm sure it's widely accepted the interaction with many of the away supports helps generate that.

There are different factions within that section and a split was mooted - collectively they are stronger though.

Thanks for that Andy. An excellent summary and all sounds fairly positive.

Only my opinion but for me the Bois should stay where they are. Their proximity to the away support assists in generating any atmosphere and, as others have said, if they moved to the north of the stand there would be zero atmosphere when we were shooting towards the south.

If the Police are behind a desire to move the Bois then I suspect it'll be more of an order than a suggestion. A wee bit concerned about talk of Celtic and Sevco fans in the POD Stand, especially in light in unsatisfactory policing, but we'll await further information on that.

As someone who has sat in the section in line with the 18 yard line at the Cooper Stand end of the East Stand for over 15 years, I'd be mightily unimpressed to be moved.

On a similar issue, there was discussion following the Cup final of the Bois obstructing the view of those near them. We had seats pretty close to them and those in their section weren't the problem, it was those who wanted to be close to them but who had tickets for other seats. About twenty of us had seats for the rows behind them and had to try to get those "hangers on" to move which wasn't easy and we received a fair bit of abuse for trying to do so. If it was one or two of us, we could have tried to find seats elsewhere but given we had bought a large group together so we could all watch the game together then it was difficult and made the twenty minutes or so before the game started a really unpleasant experience. I realise that this probably doesn't belong in this thread but it increases my concern if the Bois are moved to close to my seats. They are not the issue. It is (and I hesitate to use this phrase) the "daft wee laddies and lassies" who are not part of the group as such but want to be "close to the action". And I know saying this makes me sound like an old sore arse. So be it. The Bois for the most part do a great job of self policing but those who want to be "cool" by hanging on the fringes cause problems sometimes...

• Like 1

Consideration to moving the last section of the east to accommodate police and away fans is embarrassing. Surely the club has learned it's lessons with the impact of moving fans? I'm surprised folk on here are actually giving it the time of day tbh.

Clearly the atmosphere wouldn't be 'moved' to the other end of the stand. The atmosphere is generated by the close proximity of the home and away fans. This is the reason why when away fans are not there or housed at the back of the south stand the atmosphere is generally not as good.

There is many folk with season tickets in this section unattached to any group who have either stood there for years or do so for the atmosphere. Trying to move fans like this would be suicidal. We are supposed to gaining more fans not driving them away. Police Scotland's flawed over policing of the game in this country is thankfully going to come to an end soon, let's not drive more folk away from the football. Folk that are guilty of nothing over than trying to create an atmosphere

• Like 2

Dave - the suggestion on the Bois seems to stem from views of new high heid yin within Motherwell Police.

That doesn't surprise me. I've learnt from previous AGMs that the club is often at the mercy of individual match commanders and local high heid yins. Believe it or not individual police officers have different views and different pet policies. They're not always consistent much to various parties' frustrations. It doesn't do to fall out with the police.

Thanks for the post, Andy. Just wondering if anything specific was mentioned in relation to the fall-out from the recent Celtic games, in particular:

- the decision to allocate Celtic fans the upper tier of the South Stand at Hampden

- the coin throwing incidents at Fir Park

- the decision to release a statement following the game at Fir Park.

That doesn't surprise me. I've learnt from previous AGMs that the club is often at the mercy of individual match commanders and local high heid yins. Believe it or not individual police officers have different views and different pet policies. They're not always consistent much to various parties' frustrations. It doesn't do to fall out with the police.

Match commanders are a bit like referees; Some are quite good, some are just simply inept. The difference being one is only in charge of a football match, the other is in charge of the safety of thousands of people in, sometimes, fairly volatile situations.

If the latest career climber at Motherwell Police Station thinks that a few guys and a drum need moving to keep the peace, then I guess he can be also be expected to vigorously enforce the all-seated and anti-sectarian laws that are at his disposal. Failure to do so would just show him up to be targeting small groups, and a bit of an all-round shitebag. Not that that would ever happen in these parts.

Anyhoos, I'm sure Alan Marshall will have told the polis where to go...

Thanks for the post, Andy. Just wondering if anything specific was mentioned in relation to the fall-out from the recent Celtic games, in particular:

- the decision to allocate Celtic fans the upper tier of the South Stand at Hampden

- the coin throwing incidents at Fir Park

- the decision to release a statement following the game at Fir Park.

Nothing specific asked or raised about either of three issues quoted James.

In terms of the Bois moving chat, here's what Flow has tweeted in response to the Firparkcorner report on the AGM (and it's suggestion that "consideration is being given to a relocation of the Well Bois section to the other end of the John Hunter Stand"):

That’s not exactly what was said. It was a question posed by the floor that said we ‘should’ move them. I said that view mirrored the Police, but before anything happened, we would consult with all parties. We’re getting a battering on this thread, but it’s not how it played out

My view is that I’m not sure what real positive difference it would make, but if it was something that everyone wanted, we would look to facilitate. I’m not, and have never been, convinced it is though, either from the lads themselves or those who sit at the Coop / East side now.

If the boys who normally sit in that section spoke of a desire to move as a group (which I think has been on the agenda in the past), then it’s something we’d consider/consult on. However, thoughts of those at that end currently are equally as important (as is DC holders too!)

Put the fence back in but 2/3rds along the east and open turnstiles for the away support at the south stand end so that those housed in the pod can be accommodated in the east. That way you maintain the atmosphere generated by the close proximity of the bois to the away support.