2017 Season Swpl2

seasonal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The SWPL official site has started updating for 2017 season.

http://www.womenspremierleague.co.uk

There is a piece on MLFC Ladies with an interview from Mark Kirk, so hope to see more about MLFC on that site. I think the Ladies team start back pre season on 10th January or thereabout

I will be back in the New Year and try to keep people updated with my unofficial views from a fans perspective on the Ladies team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The SWPL official site has started updating for 2017 season.

http://www.womenspremierleague.co.uk

There is a piece on MLFC Ladies with an interview from Mark Kirk, so hope to see more about MLFC on that site. I think the Ladies team start back pre season on 10th January or thereabout

I will be back in the New Year and try to keep people updated with my unofficial views from a fans perspective on the Ladies team.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ladies had there first pre-season friendly on Sunday at Glasgow Club Nethercraigs. Was good to see so many regulars back for the team for 2017. Especially good to see Pamela Liddell back after 18 months, and a baby, away.

The Glasgow City development team were as always strong and well organised with some of the 17's moving up to the Development team. MLFc took the lead with a goal from Suzanne Grant, The post and bar at both ends saw action. City equalised and then took a 2-1 lead. A fair few substitutions from both team before MLFC sub Alise ( Stewart ? ) got the game level again with a good run in from the right wing and a shot from the edge of the box deceived the city keeper. Winner came from no other than Pamela Liddell, through the middle and passed the keeper. Really good pre season game, played almost like a cup tie at times. New signing Christie Kerr had a good steady game at centre half. A good test against a good, strong City Dev team. 2-3 to MLFC final score. Ladies used a couple of U17's and one other player at centre half i didn't recognise.

There are a few more pre season matches lined up with the next march away at Patrick Thistle Ladies on Sunday. Dont know place and time yet.

Game 2 of PreSeason was away to Patrick Thistle at Lochinch 3G at Pollok Country Park. Some first team regulars were benched to give some potential new signings and trialists a start. A hard working Suzanne Grant got the first for well. Thistle got a goal back. A penalty for Well saw captain Stacy cook give the keeper no chance and HT 2-1 to Well. Was a good first half with some of the new girls settling in well, but this was a hard working thistle team who had gained promotion last year. Plenty of subs in the second half, with Pamela Liddell coming on and scoring with her first touch after a through ball and slotting past the keeper. A further 2 goals for Grant. FT 5-1 to well.

Was impressed by the hosts, much improved since I saw them last year beat MLFC Development team 4-0. Was a good preseason game with some good players turning out as trialists. Hopefully see some of them being signed.

Nest match is next Sunday home to Dundee Utd WFC.

MLFC Development team had their first game yesterday and beat United Glasgow 2-1

• Like 1

I was invited down to the Trust yesterday to meet with Linda Gibson and offer some fans feedback in respect of Motherwell Ladies Fc. An excellent 90 minute meeting where I put across my own personal views, moans and some ideas for the future. Too much discussed to put on here but happy to chat with anyone interested that wants to seek me out at a game.

A few points here though:

* Home games will be at Ravenscraig 4pm kick off.

* Coach Mark Kirk is working VERY hard coaching, recruiting players.

* Some great young players on trial, not enough training kit for them just now though.

* More team updates/news on twitter. Good to see this morning on twitter some more signings announced.

Next home game Sunday 5 February at Ravenscraig v Dundee United WFC.

Arthur Richardson

Edited by seasonal

A good runout for the Ladies at Ravenscraig this afternoon. Goals from Grant x 4, Liddell, Brown x 2 against a very good Dundee Utd WFC side. Again coach Mark Kirk was able to introduce some new faces. New signing Heather Magill at centre half had a great debut, skilful and confident on the ball. At full back Niamh Johnston had an excellent game throughout. The young DUFC keeper had an excellent game and was very confident in dealing with crosses. Goals from Grant, Liddell and Dionne Brown sealed the victory. Last kick of the ball was a 30 yard free kick from Dionne Brown, an absolute screamer.

Things on the park shaping up well for the season.

Next Sunday at Ravenscraig 4pm v SWPL1 side Aberdeen Ladies could be a cracker against top league opposition, the week before the SWPL cup match against Spartans Women.

@ALR57

I believe that the Motherwell Ladies Facebook page is being revamped and might be launched this month. I am hopeful there will be some stats with player appearances and goals included.

For the avoidance of any doubt these posts related to Motherwell Ladies FC are my personal views and points. Anybody that thinks I may have got something incorrect feel free to contact me direct.

Arthur Richardson

@ALR57

Well that was a pretty freezing King George 5 Park in Wishaw. Todays pre season friendly against SWPL 1 opposition Aberdeen Ladies. A different line up for Motherwell with some regulars not available or on the bench which gave some new signings and U17's a place in the starting line up. Impressed with Heather Magill and Niamh Johnson in the back line. Lauren Ray and Christie Kerr had good solid games in midfield. Amy Bulloch and Dionne Brown midfield were very impressive. Sara Mcwhirter, on her 16th birthday, playing in front of the midfield showed great skill and is on International duty with U16 squad week after next. Pamela Liddell playing as lone striker had a tough shift against a solid Aberdeen defence.

Aberdeen took the lead before Dionne Brown equalised when she ran from midfield on to a through ball and slotted past the keeper. HT 1-1. Aberdeen got the match winner with a low cross in from the right and an Aberdeen forward showed great skill in tucking it away at the near post. Weather and pitch conditions made it difficult for both teams. A fair few substitutions in the last 30 mins gave Suzanne Grant, Laura Smith and U17s Lauren Simpson, Lauren Whitehead and Amber ? a run out. The equaliser just did not happen and 1-2 is a fair reflection of the game. Aberdeen were impressive and should be very competitive in SWPL1 again this season.

Next week MLFC again face SWPL1 opposition against Spartans in the league cup as the opener of the season. League business starts on 12 March.

@ALR57

Well Ladies lost their league cup tie against SWPL 1 opposition Spartans Women 3 - 4. Well goal scorers Liddell, Niamh Johnston x 2.

Well lined up with keeper Lauren McGregor in for her first match of the season. Lauren made numerous stops and kept Well in the game. My MOTM, best game I have seen her play. I thought Heather Magill and Niamh Johnston were immense at the back, making many brave and determined stops with fight aplenty. Niamh's first goal was from a goalmouth stramash and I have never seen a player so happy about scoring. Great to see.

Pamela Liddell was lone striker and put in some shift. very little came off for her unfortunately. Her goal came came from a shot at the edge of the box, low to the keepers left.

Spartans were up for the game and produced some excellent goals, the first 2 in particular.

Well were without Captain Stacey Cook serving the 3rd game of her suspension. Suzanne Grant was not available due to an issue over player registration. A player that scored 68 goals last term may well leave due to MFC CT not making any effort to retain her services. Will be a shame if this is allowed to happen.

Goals were

MLFC 0-1 Spartans

MLFC 0 - 2 Spartans

MLFC(LIDDELL) 1 - 2 Spartans

HT

MLFC (JOHNSTON( 2 - 2 SPARTANS

MLFC 2 - 3 SPARTANS

MLFC 2 - 4 SPARTANS

MLFC (JOHNSTON ) 3 - 4 SPARTANS

Credit to Spartans who were a fit and skilful outfit. Disappointed to lose in the cup but credit to coach Mark Kirk, all new recruits have improved an already good team. Debut today to latest signing, Taylor Davis. MLFC should prove to be competitive in what will be a tough league.

All views are my own, @ALR57

• 3 weeks later...

Official launch of SWPL17 this morning at Hampden. Team Captain Stacey Cook representing Motherwell. There have been some interviews on SSN at lunchtime. There is likely to be increased media reports on the SWPL after agreements being reached with Sky and Daily Record for increased reporting on SWPL matches.

Waiting latest team news as I believe some players released, some seeking better football opportunities, and a couple of new signings with SWPL experience waiting to be formalised.

First home game of the season is Sunday March 12 4pm at Ravenscraig v Jeanfield Swifts. All are welcome to attend.

I went to the fundraising and team bonding activity at the Footgolf Cumbernauld last weekend organised by the MFC Podcast and sponsored by Patersons's Trophy Supplies. Girls are in good spirits and looking forward to the season start. Appears to me that Mark Kirk has rebuilt a good team and they are capable of challenging at the top of SWPL 2.

The Ladies Development team are 2 games in to their season with 1 defeat and 1 win so far. Not seen them play so far but wishing good luck to them for the season. They are away to Hawick on March 12.

views are my own. @alr57

Match 1.

Ladies lost 0-3 to Jeanfield Swifts at Ravenscraig.

A goal in 2 minutes from Jeanfield gave the Ladies something to think about. Well mounted some pressure on the Swifts goal with a few free kicks from dangerous positions. Despite a lot of effort nothing came from a lot of possession. 2nd half and 2 quick goals from Jeanfield after about 10 mins sealed the game. Lots of huffing and puffing from Well did not really amount to much. Mandy Burns who had received a first half yellow card, was dismissed halfway through the second half with what seemed to me to be a straight red card for foul and abusive language !!!!.

In SWPL2 there are 3 officials, I say no more on the officials.

Well team performance was not what was expected, lack of discipline and a shape to the team which some players seemed unsure of. Plenty of effort from some players with Stacy Cook trying very hard to get things going. Just didn't happen for others despite the effort. Plenty to work on in training.

Development team had a 5-0 win away at Hawick. Well done to them.

Another very tough game next weekend in Shettleston against Glasgow Girls who narrowly missed out on promotion last season.

all views from own @ALR57

Not all doom and gloom. Some good young players with much potential have been signed as well as great additions to the coaching staff. The team has been rebuilt and will need time to gel and organise. A couple of new signings still to make first team appearance. I have seen plenty of effort and commitment from our players and staff. Maybe they are being let down by the attitude of a few and the organisation setup of MLFC. The team were sporting their new kit on Sunday which was good to see. Unfortunately Motherwell FC does not seem to believe in the 'One Club' philosophy which appears to be happening with other ladies teams, and possibly more support could be given.

views are my own.@ALR57

Motherwell Ladies FC suffered a 1-2 loss to Glasgow Girls at Greenfield Football Centre this afternoon. No scoring at HT with Motherwell having most of the possession and 5 or 6 goal efforts. Playing a 4 -5 - 1 type of formation with Suzanne Grant returning to the line up. The second half saw a Stacey Cook free kick give Motherwell the lead. Glasgow equalised soon after with a great strike and got a winner just after. Motherwell again dominated in spells but a hard working Glasgow side worked their way in to the lead. A few more late chances for Motherwell came to nothing. A much improved team effort but no wins from 2 in this league campaign.

Next league match in 2 weeks away to Forfar Farmington.

@ALR57

• 2 weeks later...

Still plenty of work to be done by the Ladies team.

A tidy and well organised Forfar Farmington beat MLFC 5-3 at a wonderfully sunny Station Park Forfar. Forfar went 5 up before any reply from MLFC.

The first half saw some chances for MLFC but Forfar dominated the half with good wing play and a good organisation going forward. MLFC looked disorganised and uncomfortable for most of the game. Suzanne Grant went off with a knee injury, replaced by Nicole Goodwin. Forfar took their first goal well and the referee awarded Forfar a penalty. McGregor went near but 2-0 at HT.

A further 3 goals saw them go 5-0 up before any reply from MLFC. Nicole Goodwin placed shot, a strike from Pamela Liddell and a third goal from Stacey Cook. Last 30 minutes were much better.

Some shocking decisions from todays Referee, missing a obvious shirt pulling in the box, overruling a linesman who flagged for use of an arm to control the ball by Forfar which led to a goal and a completely unnecessary booking. Very poor and disappointing at this level.

Coach Mark Kirk needs to get the defence to stop shipping goals. A much improved MLFC in the last 20 minutes after going to a back 3, Sara McWhirter introduced as a sub in midfield made one of the goals with a defence splitting pass and all 3 goals were well taken.

Still bottom of the league with no wins from 3 in the league, A possible serious knee injury to Suzanne Grant is a concern. Missed Mandy Burns( still suspended ) and could only provide 3 subs. Lots for MLFC staff and players to work on. 2 weeks time home game v Hearts.

@ALR57

• 2 weeks later...