Do We Need a New Manager?

steelboy

When I was heading home I heard Tam Cowan saying on OTB that he would only criticise Stuart McCall if we got relegated this season.

To me that seemed like a crazy statement, getting relegated would put the future of the club at risk so the prospect of giving the manager enough leeway that we could end up in the Championship makes no sense to me. McCall has done brilliantly in the league but that's been and gone and if we finish 11th or 12th two second places in 2012/13 and 2013/14 aren't going to help us, bigger and more succesful clubs than us have been relegated and are paying for it.

In the last three games we've lost we've conceded 10 goals and scored 2 against teams that are full of guys who wouldn't have got a look in the SPL 3 or 4 years ago. The board have said that our budget hasn't been cut but anyone can see that the quality in our squad has decreased massively. If you were to guess who are our top earners i'd say Lasley, Hammell, McManus, Sutton, Ramsden,Neilsen and Ainsworth. Six guys who are on the decline and one guy who is a waster who has been booted out a dozen clubs.

The question is can McCall turn it around. For me he has answered the question by making it clear he doesn't think he can improve the team on the training ground because he doesn't believe fucking off for a week with Scotland makes any difference to our form. We need a new manager that can come in, give the complacent element of our squad a fright, get the players fit, put a few of them on the scales every day and make it clear that Motherwell is a full time job.

• Like 1

Maybe we need to get rid of black and marshall before mccall goes. Look at the difference at aston villa with some background sackings.

I like mccall but he needs help by the look of things.

Did faddys departure and clarksons none contract p of some of our senior players. Hence their lack of effort since.

Definitely time for action. McCall has ran out of ideas and it's now becoming embarrassing.

No matter how good a job McCall has done, we are now in total freefall and cannot let it go on.

Personally I would appoint someone like Tommy McLean to try keep us in the league with a view to appointing a younger man long term.

• Like 1

Maybe we need to get rid of black and marshall before mccall goes. Look at the difference at aston villa with some background sackings.

I like mccall but he needs help by the look of things.

Did faddys departure and clarksons none contract p of some of our senior players. Hence their lack of effort since.

Good point about faddy and Clarkson .In my opinion I would give the mananger until Christmas to turn things around. He has earned that much over the last three seasons.IMHO.

No matter how good a job McCall has done, we are now in total freefall and cannot let it go on.

Personally I would appoint someone like Tommy McLean to try keep us in the league with a view to appointing a younger man long term.

That's how I feel as well.

McCall's league finishes in the past few season are immense but if it comes down to giving McCall a fair crack or doing what's best for the club then there is only one choice.

A club with our resources needs to recognise that we need a long term plan for the structure of the club in the board room, in the community and with youth development but that the coaching staff and players are transitory and we need to get as much as we can out of them without any sentiment.

McLean to come in and do a short term job isn't a bad idea, it could be similar to Brown fixing Gannon's mess. Long term we need someone who will set standards but also be able to bring in players from England or abroad.

That was an absolute nonsense statement from Tam on the radio tonight. I'm all for loyalty and of course McCalls record speaks for itself but we can't wait to be relegated before making a change. Unless there is something positive going on in the background that we are unaware of, Motherwell would not survive relegation in it's current guise.

However, my concern is that the problems run much deeper than the training pitch. If we were to part company with McCall then who we would we replace him with?

The club badly needs some leadership. As much as Dempster was a pain in the arse, the club has lost it's voice since she left and the club is completely disengaged with the fans (outwith positive ticket initiatives).

On a sidenote, was listening to discussion about Killie bonuses on the radio last night. Jim Spence mentioned that he spoke to a similar sized club on Friday and they were on a £650 win bonus - this is seemingly par for the course. Pure speculation on my part but the motivation and consistency we've had in recent seasons is not there, has there been a change to the financial incentives at Fir Park?

• Like 1

As others have said the repercussions of being relegated are just too severe and right now we look stick ons to finish in the bottom 2.

No one can say whether McCall would turn it round eventually but as far as I'm concerned he doesn't have much time left.

Remember we have also fallen at the first hurdle against Albion Rovers, Stjarnan and Hamilton Accies in the last three cup ties.

I'd give him until the end of the month because the fixture list looks tough for us in the next 6 weeks or so and if we can't get results against Aberdeen or St. Johnstone then what chance do we have against Dundee Utd, Inverness and Celtic? The two home matches against Dundee Utd and Celtic look especially daunting, could it be 6 home defeats in a row?

There are bigger problems at the club than McCall and I think that those desperately need to be addressed as well but right now I can't see us turning it round and that means the managers position is under severe threat, or at least should be.

It seems as if the players have downed tools. Dunno if thats down to McCall or not bit things are looking very grim. I share a concern LD who do we replace him with ? Who is available at the moment, Danny Lennon, Terry Butcher, Derek Adams, there will obviously be others but they are not exactly names i think would help us turn the corner. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place cause the players look uninterested and we can't guarantee a new manager will change that.

If we wanted to sack him (which I don't I think he deserves more time) can we actually afford to?

Honest question. How much more time?

If we take our form from the last three games into the three friday night games then we are going to struggle. After that it's the managerless international break, ICT away and then the Scottish Cup.

Avoiding relegation is the priority for us but the Scottish Cup is the only opportunity we have to do something positive this season.

I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard that this season McCall is not training the players and is leaving all that up to Black while he spends more time with his family down south.

Is that not what Black does ? He takes the training ?

We need to bring someone up from down south, a number 2 at a decent level that wants to take a shot. The last thing we need is someone that's done the rounds up here. We need someone like gannon that has a good knowledge of players to bring in and rebuild the team as the current one is stale and clearly isn't working.

...things are looking very grim.

I have witnessed a few grim seasons throughout my years supporting Motherwell and this spell has a familiar feel to it. As Hibs proved last season a change of manager doesn’t always solve the problem. Similar to Hibs, I believe that we have problems that go much deeper than just the manager.

Maybe we can't afford to sack him, but in order to save ourselves from relegation then perhaps we can't not afford to sack him?

The senior players and indeed all the players need to take some responsibility but having seen Clarkson play so well today, and Clarkson wanting to play for us, after McCall stating how he wasn't what we were looking for etc has sickened me to the pit of my stomach and really got me wondering how McCall can knock Clarky back yet sign Josh Law?!?!

It just beggars belief.

The lack of response and capitulation v Thistle and then today sees us at 13 games into a season and no closer to piecing together a coherent performance than we were after game 1 v Stjsrnan. This is just a "bad run" and more than enough games have passed in order to see some sort of improvement.

The senior players and indeed all the players need to take some responsibility but having seen Clarkson play so well today, and Clarkson wanting to play for us, after McCall stating how he wasn't what we were looking for etc has sickened me to the pit of my stomach and really got me wondering how McCall can knock Clarky back yet sign Josh Law?!?!

Clarkson made it look easy today. He's no pace but he played with his head up, found space, held the ball up and brought his team mates into the attack.

I don't see any of our forward players doing what he did today.