Time To Take A Stand Against Diving?

MFCL84

We have this perverse system in Scottish football where if a player get's it wrong/makes a mistake , and the Officials miss it , they can be dealt with retrospectively and be punished with a ban from games and/or fined.

Can this same rule not apply to Officials who get it wrong/make a mistake. Can they not be banned from Officiating for a few games or be fined?

In the absence of video replays/referees this might stop clowns like Thomson rushing into making decisions that will pander to the masses!!

We have this perverse system in Scottish football where if a player get's it wrong/makes a mistake , and the Officials miss it , they can be dealt with retrospectively and be punished with a ban from games and/or fined.

Can this same rule not apply to Officials who get it wrong/make a mistake. Can they not be banned from Officiating for a few games or be fined?

Referees are human and make mistakes I get that. However in major game changing decisions there ought to be some form of compensation for the injured parties. For example when a team loses a player through a referee's blunder and the red card is rescinded, the damage has still been done through having to play a man short. Other situations might include goals wrongly given or chalked off. In such instances some form of compensation should be paid by the SFA - I'm not talking of millions of pounds incidentally. There has to be more open accountability.

Whilst Sunday's incident is hard to take, I hate to think what would have happened if Kipre's red card had occurred during a play off final and we'd been relegated. All hell would have broken loose.

In the absence of video replays/referees this might stop clowns like Thomson rushing into making decisions that will pander to the masses!!

I think a punitive system for refs would be a step backward.

It's not an easy job and adding another level of fear isn't going to improve standards. They already get bumped down the pecking order based on performance - (however I often suspect 50% of the time this is for their own protection).

Unless we have a wealth of excellent young refs coming through the ranks then we are stuck with what we have.

They need more assistance to get it right in the first place. That's the only way forward.

Referees are human and make mistakes I get that. However in major game changing decisions there ought to be some form of compensation for the injured parties. For example when a team loses a player through a referee's blunder and the red card is rescinded, the damage has still been done through having to play a man short. Other situations might include goals wrongly given or chalked off. In such instances some form of compensation should be paid by the SFA - I'm not talking of millions of pounds incidentally.

I think the FAI got a compensation payment of sorts for the Thierry Henry handball in the 2010 World Cup play off.

I think the FAI got a compensation payment of sorts for the Thierry Henry handball in the 2010 World Cup play off.

They did.

FAI received $5m dollars from FIFA. They threatened to take FIFA to Court of Arbitration to Sport. FIFA even offered to make them the 33rd team at World Cup.

Part of me wishes the FAI did push FIFA to court, would have made governing bodies accountable for injustices by their employees - like almost every other business out there.

If true, that's a very dangerous precedent.

Basically true. FIFA gave them a $5m loan that was used to revamp the Aviva stadium, and the FAI dropped their threatened legal action. It was to be paid back if Ireland qualified for the 2014 finals, but they didn't, so it was written off.

The thing that's always annoyed me about the furore is that the goal only took a penalty shoot-out off the cards anyway, which Ireland were hardly guaranteed to win. It didn't change what they had to do to win outright: score in extra time. (And not lose another, of course.) I know that's still an injustice that needed addressing somehow, but the way they still bang on about it you'd think they'd been 3-0 up before Thierry banged in 4 with his hand. Certainly didn't merit a $5m handout.

Thomson has been handed Partick vs Hibs on Saturday. Very best of luck to both teams with that clown in charge.

Hopefully by then someone will have explained the new triple punishment rule put into place for 2017/18 season by FIFA.

To be fair to Thomson that wouldnt apply if he has deemed him to have pulled Sinclair back. It applies for a genuine attempt to win the ball.

It protects for Goalkeepers and mistimed tackles, not professional fouls. Although I dont think he denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity as he was going away from goal and had a lot still to do.

I watched the Scotland-Australia rugby game on Sat and the use of going to the video referee was great.

Did not affect the flow of the game and ensured that the right decision is arrived at every time.

Also, the ref is mic'd up and can hear him speak to the video ref. For the red card, the ref pulls BOTH captains over and the offending player and explains why he is sending him off. No dissent whatsoever.

Simple, effective. How about it football?

I have no idea what constitutes a foul anymore. It seems the penalty box is some hyper-sensitive part of the field where any physical contact isn't allowed. Unless it's a corner of course where players are allowed to manhandle each other all they want - I assume for a set period of time counted down in the refs head before 'no touchy time' resumes.

Baffling.

After tonight, I don't think it would be unreasonable for the club to seek clarification from the SFA on how the rules are currently being interpreted.

• Like 3

After tonight, I don't think it would be unreasonable for the club to seek clarification from the SFA on how the rules are currently being interpreted.

Id prefer them to publicly ask the SFA what plans they have for VAR to be introduced. It says we believe we have been cheated by Celtic and cant trust referees without fear of retribution.

Weeyin, I dont think that referees are corrupt but they can make mistakes, be influenced by crowds/managers and will have a fear of getting abuse in the media for giving wrong decisions again the bigot brothers but if they can ask for a review which clearly shows the incident, then the pressure is off them.

If the review is unclear then the original decision stands and we can all argue over it but it will cut down on wrong decisions, players caught cheating will be instantly penalised and as such the temptation to cheat will be greatly reduced, giving us a more fair game to watch. As such VAR is a no brained for me.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that was the case. I suspect that in the majority of cases, the decisions would still go against us in much the same way as sections of the media supported Sunday's call even after reviewing the video.

I agree it's not corruption - just a willingness to always give the benefit of any doubt to certain teams.

The only thing that will work will be an extreme retrospective ban and fine for any player caught diving/cheating. 8 games and 2 weeks salary.

I know it sounds extreme, but if sanctions are that tough surely it would not only help prevent it but encourage more honesty and integrity from players - bring in an element of self-refereeing. Would even extend it somewhat to managers who come out with ridiculous statements contradicting TV evidence for bringing the integrity of the game into disrepute.

Would have to be FIFA lead, which means its very unlikely to ever happen sadly.

When you think about it, you face much larger sanctions if a professional football in Scotland puts a coupon on Peruvian football than you do for blatantly diving.

Depending on what team you are of course.

Wasn't last night Celtic's first penalty in league play this season?

Not that I don't think that Rodgers well timed comments in the media about a lack of penalties and our physical play hasn't played a part in all of this lately, but it's not as if Celtic get penalties every week.

Wasn't last night Celtic's first penalty in league play this season?

Not that I don't think that Rodgers well timed comments in the media about a lack of penalties and our physical play hasn't played a part in all of this lately, but it's not as if Celtic get penalties every week.

Last night was the first time that they actually NEEDED one though.

• Like 1