Fir Park Pitch

El Grew

Kudos to our head groundsman and his staff for the presentation of what must be about the best playing surface in Britain. Gone are the dark days of "Somme-like" conditions of a few seasons ago and yesterday the pitch looked like a start of the season pitch. In all the years thatI've been going to FP I've never seen the pitch as good as it is right now. Well done guys.

• Like 2

Yeah best Ive ever seen it in January . Granted not a lot of games played on it to cut it up but looked terrific even after the game was played yesterday . Well done to everyone on the grounstaff . Take a bow . Also fair play to management team for investing in the park . To get it to that standard takes finance

Yeah best Ive ever seen it in January . Granted not a lot of games played on it to cut it up but looked terrific even after the game was played yesterday . Well done to everyone on the grounstaff . Take a bow . Also fair play to management team for investing in the park . To get it to that standard takes finance

and of course a bit of know how

Our pitch was 10 times worse than Aberdeen, Celtic or Heart's current efforts. There was more sand on it than Troon's beach.

The criticism was 100% deserved.

Likewise, the praise now is 100% deserved as they have turned it into the best surface in the top flight.

We also didn't have the resources available that the current groundsman does - the UV lamps for use on the pitch have clearly made a phenomenal difference as they negate the lack of sun caused by the south stand.

Thats down to the new guy as well. He looked at the equipment he had inherited, got rid of what he thought was unnecessary and used the budget that this made available to him to bring in what he thought would let him do a better job.

Not a criticism at all, and much more of an observation, but Saturday looked the heaviest I've seen the pitch looking in ages, which, given the weather is absolutely no surprise.

The difference from where we were to where we are is amazing. I'd been an advocate for an artificial number (as the state we were in, it seemed a better idea), but I wouldn't even consider it now. Incredible job.

• 4 weeks later...