Scottish Premiership Game 25: Partick Thistle (H) 03/02/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Hartley is still injured with this foot thing. So, the Kipre chat is a non starter.

For me there are a few key decisions to be made following the last game:

Cadden - Wether it's the position not being right for him, actual fitness, confidence, just match fitness or a bit of everything...he's just not been right for a while. Last season he'd my first name on the team sheet but not right now. Much like...

McHugh - Not a great season to date. Defensively has been good recently. But his distribution is awful and if he plays in a midfield 3 with no creativity it just looks even worse.

Tanner - When he is playing well he is great and can be that link between midfield and up front...but it's too rare.

Robinson needs to either persist in the hope it's all confidence/match fitness related or change it. I'd change it.

Carson

Kipre Aldred Dunner

Tait Campbell Bigi McHugh Frear

Main Cifcti

• Like 1

Hartley is still injured with this foot thing. So, the Kipre chat is a non starter.

Cadden - Wether it's the position not being right for him, actual fitness, confidence, just match fitness or a bit of everything...he's just not been right for a while. Last season he'd my first name on the team sheet but not right now.

Did Cadden not have a similar spell after his hamstring injury last season? Despite a cracking assist, I recall him labouring in the cup game at Ibrox and it was a while before he was flying again.

Cadden - Wether it's the position not being right for him, actual fitness, confidence, just match fitness or a bit of everything...he's just not been right for a while. Last season he'd my first name on the team sheet but not right now. Much like...

McHugh - Not a great season to date. Defensively has been good recently. But his distribution is awful and if he plays in a midfield 3 with no creativity it just looks even worse.

Tanner - When he is playing well he is great and can be that link between midfield and up front...but it's too rare.

Robinson needs to either persist in the hope it's all confidence/match fitness related or change it. I'd change it.

Carson

Kipre Aldred Dunner

Tait Campbell Bigi McHugh Frear

Main Cifcti

That'd be exactly my team as well. Even with his injuries I feel we've massively underused Frear. Would walk into at least half the league.

Frear, like Cadden I think, suffers when playing 3-5-2. It results in them playing so far back that theyre nullified as an attacking threat. Both are at their best when they can run into space and either drive into the box (Cadden) or swing the ball in from the bye line (Frear). Unfortunately, playing them at wingback means they usually have two men to beat before they can get into a position like that.

Playing a flat midfield 4 is also suicidal against most teams in this league, so youre really only left with sacrificing one of your forwards. Main and Ciftci both seem more capable of playing the lone striker role (in different ways), but I genuinely think the only way to properly accommodate Frear or Cadden is to move them up the park, which means sacrificing elsewhere.

Look at what a difference it made to Cadden on Saturday being pushed forward and having Tait behind him.

Frear, like Cadden I think, suffers when playing 3-5-2. It results in them playing so far back that theyre nullified as an attacking threat. Both are at their best when they can run into space and either drive into the box (Cadden) or swing the ball in from the bye line (Frear). Unfortunately, playing them at wingback means they usually have two men to beat before they can get into a position like that.

Playing a flat midfield 4 is also suicidal against most teams in this league, so youre really only left with sacrificing one of your forwards. Main and Ciftci both seem more capable of playing the lone striker role (in different ways), but I genuinely think the only way to properly accommodate Frear or Cadden is to move them up the park, which means sacrificing elsewhere.

Look at what a difference it made to Cadden on Saturday being pushed forward and having Tait behind him.

You managed to say what I was trying to say a few posts back, but you used far fewer words.

What I would say is that a manager having a clear idea of how he wants to play and the formation he wants to use is, in general, a good thing. Robinson has clearly managed to bring in central defenders that are comfortable in a back three. Tait is comfortable at right wing back and Hendrie may turn out to be the answer at left wing back.

Problem is further forward. We don't seem to have come up with a midfield combination that allows us to compete, retain possession and create chances. I don't know if we even have the personnel to come up with the right combination despite midfield being the area where we have the most bodies.

The other issue is that playing 352, I'm not sure where Cadden, Frear and Tanner fit in. Given they are three players that offer creativity (Frear and Tanner) or real powerful physical presence (Cadden) then you'd want them in the team. If we are going to persevere with 352, Robinson's third window should be used to get the midfield balance right, find his long term solution at left wing back and perhaps move on some of the players that don't fit the way Robinson wants us to play...

You managed to say what I was trying to say a few posts back, but you used far fewer words.

What I would say is that a manager having a clear idea of how he wants to play and the formation he wants to use is, in general, a good thing. Robinson has clearly managed to bring in central defenders that are comfortable in a back three. Tait is comfortable at right wing back and Hendrie may turn out to be the answer at left wing back.

Problem is further forward. We don't seem to have come up with a midfield combination that allows us to compete, retain possession and create chances. I don't know if we even have the personnel to come up with the right combination despite midfield being the area where we have the most bodies.

The other issue is that playing 352, I'm not sure where Cadden, Frear and Tanner fit in. Given they are three players that offer creativity (Frear and Tanner) or real powerful physical presence (Cadden) then you'd want them in the team. If we are going to persevere with 352, Robinson's third window should be used to get the midfield balance right, find his long term solution at left wing back and perhaps move on some of the players that don't fit the way Robinson wants us to play...

4-2-3-1 is the answer to Frear/Cadden/Tanner or Çiftçi, however that involves going to a flat back four, which Robinson seems reluctant to do.

I just can't fathom Robinson's infatuation with the 3-5-2 formation. We simply do not have the players to play that system.

We should go back to playing 4-4-2. On the few occasions that he has dabbled with it this season (against Celtic twice and Rangers and Aberdeen in League Cup) we have looked a really decent team and posed the opposition real problems. Play with orthodox right-back, left-back and two centre-backs.

Carson

Tait, Dunne/Hendrie, Hartley, Aldred.

Cadden, Kipre, Bigirimana, Campbell.

Main, Cifti.

• Like 1

Missed the game on Saturday, so can't comment on how he played there, but I think saying him playing well is too rare is a bit harsh. He has either scored or assisted a goal on average every 120 minutes so far this season.

• Like 1

The thought of Kipre playing in midfield is making me laugh out loud...the amount of folk advocating it is making me laugh even more. I honestly can't fathom where its coming from, particularly when we have as many midfield options as I can remember. Anybody remember the time we tried to play Clubber Laing at centre-mid?

We have a chance to really develop Kipre into a player that we'll be able to sell for a good amount of cash, hes doing well in his current position, lets leave him there and allow Aldred and/or Hartley to pass on their experience.

That said, I'd be up for switching to a 4 at the back at some point in the near future

• Like 4

I just can't fathom Robinson's infatuation with the 3-5-2 formation. We simply do not have the players to play that system.

We should go back to playing 4-4-2. On the few occasions that he has dabbled with it this season (against Celtic twice and Rangers and Aberdeen in League Cup) we have looked a really decent team and posed the opposition real problems. Play with orthodox right-back, left-back and two centre-backs.

Carson

Tait, Dunne/Hendrie, Hartley, Aldred.

Cadden, Kipre, Bigirimana, Campbell.

Main, Cifti.

I dunno where to start with this madness

The thought of Kipre playing in midfield is making me laugh out loud...the amount of folk advocating it is making me laugh even more. I honestly can't fathom where its coming from, particularly when we have as many midfield options as I can remember. Anybody remember the time we tried to play Clubber Laing at centre-mid?

We have a chance to really develop Kipre into a player that we'll be able to sell for a good amount of cash, hes doing well in his current position, lets leave him there and allow Aldred and/or Hartley to pass on their experience.

That said, I'd be up for switching to a 4 at the back at some point in the near future

Much more elegantly than I could have put it.

• Like 1