Mixir Commentary

well_said

I listened to the commentary of the last two games , what a difference not having to listen to Graham barnstables Celtic tv esqe biased garbage. Lewis irons is very smooth on the ears and Graeme Mcgarry as summariser was extremely good. One small criticism of Lewis though please stop using the word bizzare so much. Keep up the good work.

Apparently the club couldn't meet Graham's wage demands so they parted ways.

A bit harsh after all the society money he helped funnel to them.

Apologies but I genuinely don't know if this comment is tongue in cheek or not. Are people paid to do the commentary if it's not already part of their club media job? If so, I wouldn't imagine it's a lot.

Did Graham do a lot of work bringing in money for the society?

I don't listen to the commentaries in case it's in reference to his comments made on them.

Very rarely hear the commentary with the exception of the stuff that is dubbed over the goals on social media, although I thought Graham's passion for the club came across very clearly on that.

From speaking to him, his desire was to spend more time with his family and get back to enjoying the football with them - got to remember there are a fair few all day efforts across a season and when you work full-time it's a big commitment to add on top.

• Like 3

It's funny how your habits change.

When I couldn't get to a game in my youth it was listening in hope for the scoreflashes on the radio whilst they invariably commentated on the Old Firm. I suppose you did it as there was little other option.

Even as recent as the Billy Davies era when Radio Scotland did online commentaries from each top flight game I would listen on my PC if I couldn't go.

By then I had long since come to the conclusion it's an awful way to follow a game your team is involved in. The oohs and aahs, wails of excitement that set your heart racing only to discover it's a fucking throw in on the half-way line and then almost missing goals because the commentator of the day has so underplayed the fact you've just scored.

As for Motherwell's own offering I have barely given Mixlr a listen for a first-team game. I actually really enjoyed the low key general chit-chat approach employed when in the early days they covered some of the U20 games but my long since reached conclusion that most audio commentary is ulcer inducing listening when your team is involved hasn't changed. As aside seeing "Dangerous Attack" for the opposition on Bet365's wee pitch graphic with the game at 94+03 minutes and you're hanging on has managed to surpass that level of gut wrenching tension if you particularly enjoy your masochism.

All that said, and given my lack of custom as it were I'm perhaps not best placed to comment, but I've often felt Graham seemed to get a bit of a hard time. If this change has given listeners what they want with a different voice and allowed Graham to return to watching games with family and friends then that seems like a happy outcome for all, but on the face of it, it appeared to me that the fact he was giving of his time for what presumably was little or no personal gain and for the benefit of fellow fans seemed to be overlooked.

There's no doubting Graham's passion for the club and all round enthusiasm for the games.

Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate well into commentary (or co-commentary). So there were often long spells of loud yelling, and sustained rants about refereeing decisions etc. - over the top of actual commentary, so you couldn't hear what was going on. And, ultimately, the one thing a commentator needs to do is describe the action to the listeners.

I imagine that would make it difficult for any fan to commentate, as we'd all act as if we were in the crowd rather than with the necessary detachment.

• Like 1

It's funny how your habits change.

When I couldn't get to a game in my youth it was listening in hope for the scoreflashes on the radio whilst they invariably commentated on the Old Firm. I suppose you did it as there was little other option.

Even as recent as the Billy Davies era when Radio Scotland did online commentaries from each top flight game I would listen on my PC if I couldn't go.

By then I had long since come to the conclusion it's an awful way to follow a game your team is involved in. The oohs and aahs, wails of excitement that set your heart racing only to discover it's a fucking throw in on the half-way line and then almost missing goals because the commentator of the day has so underplayed the fact you've just scored.

As for Motherwell's own offering I have barely given Mixlr a listen for a first-team game. I actually really enjoyed the low key general chit-chat approach employed when in the early days they covered some of the U20 games but my long since reached conclusion that most audio commentary is ulcer inducing listening when your team is involved hasn't changed. As aside seeing "Dangerous Attack" for the opposition on Bet365's wee pitch graphic with the game at 94+03 minutes and you're hanging on has managed to surpass that level of gut wrenching tension if you particularly enjoy your masochism.

All that said, and given my lack of custom as it were I'm perhaps not best placed to comment, but I've often felt Graham seemed to get a bit of a hard time. If this change has given listeners what they want with a different voice and allowed Graham to return to watching games with family and friends then that seems like a happy outcome for all, but on the face of it, it appeared to me that the fact he was giving of his time for what presumably was little or no personal gain and for the benefit of fellow fans seemed to be overlooked.

Due to new work commitments looks like Mixlr will be my way of keeping in touch.Already fed up with ooh's and aah's...

From speaking to him, his desire was to spend more time with his family and get back to enjoying the football with them - got to remember there are a fair few all day efforts across a season and when you work full-time it's a big commitment to add on top.

Don't let hearsay and second guessing get in the way of a good yarn Andy.

Well said, some folk on here should maybe count to ten before coming on here and trying to sully someone who has given up more time and effort than they would ever consider.

Just because he put a lot of time and effort into it didn't make him any more bearable to listen to. Let's be honest the guy was absolutely awful at commentating, and since he left it's gotten ten times better.

Just because you know him personally doesn't mean we can't discuss how brutal he was to listen to.

• Like 1

I dont know the guy personally and as an exile, I often listened to Brian and Mixlr.

To say he is brutal etc is harsh. As someone who has little access to all things motherwell, and yes one sided it is, I enjoyed his passion.

I dont think the mixlr broadcasts are intended to be polished to a sky or even radio Clyde standard?

Arent they for Motherwell fans to listen to motherwell fans reporting on the games they are watching?

For me its simple, if you think you can do better, you can;

1, volunteer to do it yourself

2, dont listen and listen to the professionals talking all things old firm/Aberdeen

3, go to the games

If you struggle with the above, why ridicule those who make the effort?

• Like 5

Just because he put a lot of time and effort into it didn't make him any more bearable to listen to. Let's be honest the guy was absolutely awful at commentating, and since he left it's gotten ten times better.

Just because you know him personally doesn't mean we can't discuss how brutal he was to listen to.

Aye, it's no slight on him as a human being. He just struggled to follow the number one rule of audio commentary - describe the action.

We need to hear "Tanner steps inside Reynolds and goes down after a late tackle" rather than "REFEREE! C'MON REF. REF! THAT WAS..! REF! COME..ON...!"

Which isn't easy, I'm sure, as a fan - and something a lot of us would struggle with. Guys like Hartley have been fun because they provide a lot of insight into players only they have. And Craggs tonight brought his professional game, but with a wee bit more Motherwell bias.

Anyway, the last few have been very good, so well done to all involved.

• Like 1

On a different note, my favourite comment from Craggs tonight was his loud "Yesssss!" at the final whistle.

He doesn't get to do that on BT Sport.

Between that and Hartley's digs at Imrie, the Mixlr commentary has been excellent so far this year.

• Like 2

Fair play to the players and crags for agreeing to do this. Those who have done it so far have been great. Its a nice touch from the club, who have really taken this stuff to another level this year.

Hopefully grimshaw, bigi, and dunne get a go at some point, especially dunne as going by his interview this week he doesnt really know what words mean.

• Like 1