Scottish Premiership Game 26: St Johnstone (H) 06/02/18 19:45

something else

Glad we have another game straight away to get over the shitfest that was yesterday.

We need to seriously look at our midfield as we need creativity in there. I would mix things up a bit.

Back to a back four and put Ciftci back into a midfield four. Tanner looks better up front than he does back in midfield where i think he's wasted.

Carson

Tait Kipre Aldred Dunne

Cadden McHugh Campbell Ciftci

Main Tanner

Glad we have another game straight away to get over the shitfest that was yesterday.

Back to a back four and put Ciftci back into a midfield four. Tanner looks better up front than he does back in midfield where i think he's wasted.

It'll be another shitfest on Tuesday you can stake your mortgage on it. Two teams slugging it out in midfield with errors being crucial to the eventual outcome. It won't be pretty but thats what football outwith the top 4 is all about. I don't care if we play silky football or not so long as we compete and score one goal more than St Johnstone. We have to get wellied right into Murray Davidson and co from the off. We know how they'll play and any young players like Alan Campbell have to be properly briefed before they step onto the field.

I'd like us to play more football on the deck but that may not be possible. Frear to start on the left to give us some much need pace but Cifti, the most talented striker we have has to play in and around the box. I don't get why he'd play wide left midfield.

• Like 1

Tanner needs dropped from the starting 11. Both of the last games I have seen I'd have had him off early. He got away with the Hamilton game because he scored.. prior to that his decisions were suspect. Either too slow to pass or he dilly dallied that long and overthought he missed the chance to get the ball away. Then he scored the penalty and he started playing with a bit of confidence.

Yesterday, he was back at the rush or dilly dally again and we lost the ball.

He is starting to remind me of Skippy but without the end product, if things are going his way, he's fine but as soon as it's not he's dropping the head. At one point yesterday he dilly dallied about putting a ball into the box or passing to Hendrie who was free of a marker, by the time he decided what to Partick were back in numbers and any chance was lost.

d

As for Hendrie, defensively he done okay yesterday, including taking a knock to the head while clearing another Partick chance, going forward I felt he could have been used a bit more as an outlet, when he was he got a decent ball in that caused problems but too many times the play was going down our right hand side and we were getting bogged down. That should have been the signal to start using more of Hendrie and encouraging him to get forward to see what he could do.

It was good to say Ciftci score and Main is looking threatening, however that's twice now when one on one he has went for a lob and not scored from them... I hope he has other options in his locker for those situations. Still, impressed with the start he has made.

I am itching to see Hartley line up alongside Aldred as I think we'll have a decent defensive partnership there and Kipre can only benefit from it. Where it leaves Dunne will depend on what more we can do with the formation.If we stick with a back 3 then Robinson will want Tait or Frear there if we can't Hendrie playing more advanced. (I know as a kid he used to play wing\striker role and he knew how to put a decent ball into the box, if he still has it, we need to encourage him to play more like the other two mentioned.)

Overall not a great game but the ref didn't help and Partick took advantage every time he blew to waste time.

Id drop mchugh and start bigi. ciftci and main are crying out for someone to play a pass to feet. its time to try some creativity rather than going long ball or just putting it out to the wings.

i like tanner but its hard to fit him in just now.

Id probably stick with our 352 system but no more hoofing it up the park it really is an eyesore and our strikers have ability. Tanner to be used as an impact player is probably best.

Setting up to frustrate till 60 mins has worked well for us with our physicality but we need to mix up our play and not be one trick ponies now.

Onwards and upwards

Bit pressure to win this for me due to not winning yesterday. 4 points from 2 games v our peers is absolutely acceptable but 2, or even 1, isnt.

We need a minimum of 6/7 points from the games in February and if we cant achieve that then big questions have to be asked as youve got to wonder where the wins are actually going to come from.

Bit pressure to win this for me due to not winning yesterday. 4 points from 2 games v our peers is absolutely acceptable but 2, or even 1, isnt.

We need a minimum of 6/7 points from the games in February and if we cant achieve that then big questions have to be asked as youve got to wonder where the wins are actually going to come from.

Think thats a fair assessment

As important as this game is, we may have to rest 1 or 2 with Dundee in mind. Id be looking to ensure Cadden, Campbell, Ciftci and Tanner are fresh for Saturday.

Never agreed with this resting players pish it should be strongest team possible at all times, asking a well paid footballer to play 2 or 3 games a week is not too much to ask.

• Like 1

I can see the argument for changing the midfield, but from the highlights from saturday we seemed to create more than enough chances to win, and it didnt look like Partick made that many chances despite overrunning our midfield.

Although I dont think making the team more defensive for a home game we need to win is the way to go, one reason for putting tanner or Ciftci on the bench may be that we have no one to bring on with an attacking threat at the moment. Tanner has been pretty effective of the bench when used that way.

Ill be interested in wether Cadden gets the start. I dont see frear starting yet, but Hendrie on the left and Tait on the right is a possibility.

Id go with something like the following, but I think the manager will prob just switch Tait in for hendrie from Saturdays lineup.

Carson

Kipre Aldred dunne

Tait mchugh bigi campbell hendrie

Ciftci main

Griffiths, Cadden, Tanner, Demi, frear, Mclean

Can't make midweek matches but to be honest these two teams in a midweek match at a ghostly Fir Park during a cold snap does not hold an enormous appeal.

Eyes are bleeding just thinking about it. On the other hand we might put in a dazzling display. 'Might'.

I think this is a pretty important match. St. Johnstone are 3 points behind us with 2 matches in hand. If they were to win this it would put them in a good place to go above us in the league again, although I'm not too sure who their games in hand are against.

Likewise, if we can win we can put a wee gap between them and negate their extra matches.

St. Johnstone are better on the road, their last three wins have all been away from home (Rangers, Hamilton, Hibs) and the last five also includes a draw at Ross County and a unfortunate loss at the weekend to Hearts where they seemed to have played quite well going by the highlights.

Might be a tough match.....and a tough watch.