The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

12 minutes ago, CoF said:

The new south stand? Didn't that start in the 90s? 

Can’t remember for definite but that picture was on the front of a programme v Hamilton Accies on Wed 2nd January 1985.

Maybe I’m wrongly assuming the big mound of earth at the back is the start of building works as the toilet block that used to sit at the top of the hill is gone.

Anyways brings  back memories of the old terracing.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Can’t remember for definite but that picture was on the front of a programme v Hamilton Accies on Wed 2nd January 1985.

Maybe I’m wrongly assuming the big mound of earth at the back is the start of building works as the toilet block that used to sit at the top of the hill is gone.

It's a great photo - I'm doing a wee bit of research into the development of Fir Park so interested to know what was going on there. 

41 minutes ago, CoF said:

It's a great photo - I'm doing a wee bit of research into the development of Fir Park so interested to know what was going on there. 

Definitely looks like some kind of excavation going on in the RHS of the park and what looks like a roadway of some kind running behind the goals 

Ive got more programmes from around the same era so will have a look to see if there’s any more info or pictures.

Think it was 1993 ? the stand was opened so unlikely to be foundation work.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

I think it's been no more than a clearing of the trees.  There was a toilet down in there at one stage.....ok there was a brick wall down there at one stage, as there was at the Knowetop end before "proper" toilets and a snack bar combo was added around 1987 or abouts at the top of both terraces.

5 hours ago, scoojy said:

Ha! Trafficlight with a rating of -1,000,000

Wasn’t on here much around then so don’t know what happened there but know he has a reputation 

You'd have been jealous of him and all that he achieved.

People come and go from all sites like this. It's part of their natural life cycle. The vast majority of discussion boards wither and die fairly quickly. That happens even quicker when there is no moderation and the trolls and spammers take over. It's a testament to posters and moderators on here that the site has been ticking over for so long with minimal intervention required.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

You'd have been jealous of him and all that he achieved.

People come and go from all sites like this. It's part of their natural life cycle. The vast majority of discussion boards wither and die fairly quickly. That happens even quicker when there is no moderation and the trolls and spammers take over. It's a testament to posters and moderators on here that the site has been ticking over for so long with minimal intervention required.

I think the current team running the site are the longest serving at doing so, a lot of self policing and genuinely decent members have helped keep things extremely smooth during our time looking after the place.

• Like 3