The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

Some great pics on Getty Images of Motherwell's tour of Argentina in 1928.

Not sure if The Steelmen programme has ever written an article on our South American exploits but i'm sure it would make for some interesting reading.

Just look at the crowd for these games! Also check out the headgear on the Argentine player on the last pic. :lol:

2629owp.jpg

11j41av.jpg

2zom7vr.jpg

24vqzus.jpg

15gee74.jpg

73e2du.jpg

30wa6p1.jpg

2ufvrxt.jpg

Geat pics there, mate, though it begs the question why were Motherwell in Argentina in 1928 ??

Pretty sure that the team sailed to places like Argentina and South Africa for massive pre-season tours in those days.

Pretty sure that the team sailed to places like Argentina and South Africa for massive pre-season tours in those days.

It would have taken weeks to get there by boat, same for the return, and must have given no time for a close season break at all. And what about that strip: no claret and amber in those days ?

It would have taken weeks to get there by boat, same for the return, and must have given no time for a close season break at all. And what about that strip: no claret and amber in those days ?

Good example of the results from a tour to South Africa. There's about a month from the 30/31 season ending and the first 31/32 pre-season friendly; and about a month between the last pre-season friendly in South Africa and the first game of the season. Make of that what you will!! :evilgrin:

As for the strip, we were claret & amber in 1928 as far as I know. Either it's a change kit in the photos, or it's just the old images that make it look as though it's not C&A.

I think that's about right. Motherwell where one of the best Scottish sides at the time and were always hot on the heels of the old firm. This probably put us in demand as tough opposition for any club or country for pre season games.

Good example of the results from a tour to South Africa.

As for the strip, we were claret & amber in 1928 as far as I know. Either it's a change kit in the photos, or it's just the old images that make it look as though it's not C&A.

The kit was claret and amber stripes. It's just that our original shade of amber was much darker than it is at the moment.

Quite a few British teams did these kind of tours, some as early as the turn of the century. While such a trip would be costly now, at that time they were incredibly lucrative for visiting clubs. The games would attract huge crowds and would often be attended by presidents, cabinet ministers and other members of high society who would occasionally hold banquets in honour of their guests. I don't know whether or not Motherwell received the VIP treatment, but they would still have done quite nicely out of the trip.

You're right. According to Historical Football Kits, the blue shirts I mentioned were last used in 1913. C&A from there on and September of 1928 saw the first "traditional" Motherwell jersey.

So, I'm stumped. :evilgrin:

EDIT: Just saw UBH's post. Now that you mention it, I can see the stripes in the pics. Hadn't noticed them until then.

It'll be claret and amber stripes with white shorts. that was our strip 1924-1928 Motherwell's strips

I remember that being posted previously, good to see it again. Interesting to read the colours were changed to emulate Bradford City, at that time very successful, and also to prevent colour clashes. By the way, that 1979-82 adidas number is positively canary yellow !

Hit the post, apparently :evilgrin:

fantastic crowd thou ........ just a pity the St Midden cup-tie was before personal media recording kit was so easily available.

I'm sure I've got a picture from St Mirren game in an old programme. Think it's from behind the goals at WP's penalty. Not sure how to post it tho' :thumbup:

I remember that being posted previously, good to see it again. Interesting to read the colours were changed to emulate Bradford City, at that time very successful, and also to prevent colour clashes. By the way, that 1979-82 adidas number is positively canary yellow !

I've already made a tit of myself in this thread tonight but I'll risk doing the double. Our colour change had nothing to do with Bristol City, we adopted the racing colours of Lord Dalziel. Lord Dalziel had donated an area of his estate to the club to build a new ground. This piece of land - previously covered by fir trees - is where we still play today.

I'm fed up being wrong all the time. -_-:thumbup::evilgrin:

I've already made a tit of myself in this thread tonight but I'll risk doing the double. Our colour change had nothing to do with Bristol City, we adopted the racing colours of Lord Dalziel. Lord Dalziel donated an area of his estate to the club to build a new ground. This piece of land - previously covered by fir trees - is where we still play today.

I'm fed up being wrong all the time. :D:thumbup::evilgrin:

Oops I'm sure that trafficlight mentioned BRADFORD CITY........... :O-_-

In fact their yoked shirts were identical to those worn by Bradford City at this time and it is likely that they were adopted to emulate the success of the English club and reduce the need to change when colours clashed with opponents. It was not until 1935 that they adopted the amber shirts with bold claret band that became their signature kit.

"It is likely" makes me think they're speculating. The second bold part of the quote contradicts their own strip graphics time-line which show our traditional/signature kit first appearing in September 1928. Read into it what you will.

Football historian Alick Milne sent me these notes on our switch to claret and amber.

Switched to claret and amber in 1913 – at first, largely a copy of Bradford City's strip of the time. Between 1913 and the end of 1928 Motherwell wore dark socks with two white hoops – I've seen too many photos to take the hoops as being amber, especially as the club often wore an amber so deep that it was difficult to distinguish from claret in a black-and-white photograph. Until I discover evidence to the contrary, I have taken these socks as being claret with two white hoops. The registered colours from 1913 to WW2 were 'claret and amber jersey, white knickers'; socks weren't mentioned by the SFA or SFL.