Motherwell Vs Dunfermline Matchday Thread

David

As has been mentioned by a few in the Hearts thread, a change of formation and a bit more of an attacking game is in order for the game against Dunfermline on Wednesday.

Although it's doubtful that McCall makes the change, I'd like to see McHugh given a few games to show what he's capable of. Murphy hasn't been at the races for a while now, and a break would do him some good.

I said it when the St Mirren game was approaching, and I'll say it again here. We need the three points from this game, especially for morale. We need a home win having not managed to get three points at home for three months.

This will be yet another drab, dismal home display from us resulting in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

Merry Christmas.

Have to agree as we don't have the depth of squad to be able to change things round,im giving this one a miss.

Away ya pair of miserable feckers, we're playing the SPL whipping boys had we not relaxed too much when we played at their ground we would have scored a barrel load.

SPL whipping boys are getting gubbed yahoo.gif

• Like 1

Hows about this line up?

Randolph

Clancy Craigan Hutchinson Hammell

Daley/Murphy Lasley Hately Law

McHugh Higdon

That would give us some more height, more of an attacking threat whilst retaining a central deensive core to the midfield.

A 4-4-2 set up with a combative central midfield, 2 wide players capable of getting crosses in and someone supporting Higdon.

Fingers crossed Dave.

If we fail to win this we don't deserve to finish 3rd and I honestly don't think we will. (win that is).

I thought it was the team that accumulated the 3rd largest number of points that finished 3rd. I didn't realise you needed to win specific games too.

• Like 1

Although it's doubtful that McCall makes the change, I'd like to see McHugh given a few games to show what he's capable of. Murphy hasn't been at the races for a while now, and a break would do him some good.

If you put McHugh in you'd have to move Law out to the left and if you are moving Law you are better off just dropping him and keeping Murphy wide and putting McHugh behind Higdon. The match where Murphy was dropped we looked more blunt going forward than ever and only improved when he came on as a substitute.

I hope Steven Hughes gets dropped for this match. His signing looks like a mistake, he's inconsistent even when fit but it's obvious from seeing him that his long lay off from competitive football has left him so far off the pace he's toiling even to keep up with the game and everything is just passing him by. Of course, Forbes, who had a couple of good matches earlier in the season that could have been built upon, has been left to wither on the vine by McCall so bringing him into the XI might result in the same thing happening.

Any way this is one we should win but because of that, and our poor home record, there could be more pressure on the team. You get the impression that our home form curse is building by the match and is actually beginning to affect the players. It's hard to tell what kind of Dunfermilne will turn up but they are better away from home than at home and if you exclude their heavy defeat away to Hearts they have only lost their last 3 away matches 1-2, including visits to both Rangers and Celtic so it might not be as easy as some people think. They are becoming a little detached at the bottom of the league now and you'd expect them to come out fighting to avoid being cut a drift.

I'd like to see some of our players taking shots, from distance, at goal. By distance I mean 25 yards and under. I think Dunfermline will pack the defence when we are in possession and it will be difiicult for us to break them down.

I'm not being short sighted with regards to our passing game but at home I think this can play into the opposition's hands (crowd gets agitated) especially if the game remains at 0-0 for a lengthy period of time.

Shoot on sight until we get the first, force them to attack, then carve them open with our passing game. If someone is having a 'mare it doesnn't mean they are a bad player (some comments to Hateley on Saturday were well OTT) just it isn't there day. In saying that McCall should be recognising this and making the CORRECT changes. I think he got it wrong on Saturday.

Dunfermline will set up differently to the gsme at East End Park. If we win I don't think it will ne by anymore than 2-0.

Some interesting talk of formations and the implications of the changes.

I think it's still possible for us to replicate the 4-4-2 changing to a 4--2-4 when flying on the attack that we employed to good effect in certain games last season (thinking the two 3-0 Scottish Cup wins over Dundee Utd and St Johnstone in particular) without a Law v Murphy decision requiring to be made. Murphy could be employed in the Jeffers role, Hateley in for Jennings, and Law doing the Murphy stuff on the left. Murphy and Law did actually interact really well in pre-season and it looked like it would be a key feature of our play going by those early friendlies.

I have a little sympathy with Stuart McCall in how to get the best from Jamie. He has shown himself capable of tearing full-backs apart and cutting inside and scoring, finishing from close range inside the box and scoring from distance outside the box. I think McCall must be faced with the dilemma of knowing that sticking him to a single role be it as a winger or out-and-out-striker might actually inhibit what he can do when you know just what he is capable of doing.

Ofcourse if Murphy doesn't deliver from that "free role" McCall stands accused of choosing the wrong option and Murph looks like he's wandering all over the place appearing to have had no tactical guidance given.

But will McCall decide to persevere with this season's norm or will he be go with an alternative, that's the question?

As for Dunfermline, we bounced back against them from a defeat earlier in the season and I would hope we can do similar again on Wednesday. A win will do, by one or by however many for me.

If you put McHugh in you'd have to move Law out to the left and if you are moving Law you are better off just dropping him and keeping Murphy wide and putting McHugh behind Higdon. The match where Murphy was dropped we looked more blunt going forward than ever and only improved when he came on as a substitute.

You're probably right. I just want to see McHugh given a run of games to show what he's capable of. I had hoped that his goal against Aberdeen would have resulted in him getting a starting slot, but it didn't pan out that way.

I hope Steven Hughes gets dropped for this match. His signing looks like a mistake, he's inconsistent even when fit but it's obvious from seeing him that his long lay off from competitive football has left him so far off the pace he's toiling even to keep up with the game and everything is just passing him by. Of course, Forbes, who had a couple of good matches earlier in the season that could have been built upon, has been left to wither on the vine by McCall so bringing him into the XI might result in the same thing happening.

I wasn't keen on the signing of Hughes to begin with, feeling that midfield was an area that we didn't need any new faces.

I'd rather see him move on next month and any money we have used to bring in some sort of forward. Even a loan deal until the end of the season or something, as we're really light up front just now.

As far as the result goes this Wednesday, I can see us winning it by a few, which will hopefully kick start our home form this season. We need to win these games at home if we wish to keep distance between ourselves and Hearts.

Surely Hughes deserves a bit of time to get his fitness? After all, it takes Jennings 2 months to get going after a summer break before turning in to our most vital player. Hughes will come good and his comfort in possession will reap the rewards.

As for the Dunfermline game, I'd like to see Murphy upfront and Humphrey on the right. Law deserves to be dropped but I'd probably give him a shot wide left.

Surely Hughes deserves a bit of time to get his fitness? After all, it takes Jennings 2 months to get going after a summer break before turning in to our most vital player. Hughes will come good and his comfort in possession will reap the rewards.

The thing is Jennings is/was an established player on a longer contract you could see why it was worth our while persevering with him until he got his fitness up. Hughes is contracted until the 3rd of January and hasn't shown anything to deserve a new one. And even if he did get a new one we are at the business end of the season now and can't afford to carry players that aren't performing. I don't even think Hughes would be a 1st pick anyway provided Jennings and Lasley were available which makes it harder again for him to get his fitness up to the required level.