Out Of Contract Vs U20's

Snap19

Basically, what's peoples thoughts around out of contact players, and if they are not willing to commit or have already stated they will be off at the end of the season, when or if do we look to drop them for a youngster who might take their place next season?

I know were still fighting for 2nd, and perhaps only really Hutchinson has signalled he isn't staying, but thought I'd see what folk think?

Personally, if it was up to me, I'd be dropping anyone who hasn't got any intention of hanging around, and getting some on the younger ones in. Look at what Leitch and Moore have done when they get the chance!

Thoughts?

Basically, what's peoples thoughts around out of contact players, and if they are not willing to commit or have already stated they will be off at the end of the season, when or if do we look to drop them for a youngster who might take their place next season?

I know were still fighting for 2nd, and perhaps only really Hutchinson has signalled he isn't staying, but thought I'd see what folk think?

Personally, if it was up to me, I'd be dropping anyone who hasn't got any intention of hanging around, and getting some on the younger ones in. Look at what Leitch and Moore have done when they get the chance!

Thoughts?

Play the best team we have now to do the job now

this would have been a good thread a year ago when mccall played omar daley ahead of erwin in a dead game on the final day as well as two guys who had signed for other clubs and had no interest in playing for the 1300 motherwell fans who had travelled through to perth and shelled out 20 quid.

i don't see how it applies now though.

the problem is that we're committed to lawson, cummins, mchugh, nielsen and ramsden's dodgy knees.

Oh aye, agree with that and fingers crossed that we can somehow get at least McHugh and Lawson off the wage bill. However, we should have been in a position to offer contracts to Lasley, Hammell and McManus by now.

Oh aye, agree with that and fingers crossed that we can somehow get at least McHugh and Lawson off the wage bill. However, we should have been in a position to offer contracts to Lasley, Hammell and McManus by now.

We play the strongest team we can field until the end of the season. Very few players are going to be open or daft enough to come out and say I'm moving on. The club will pretty much know who wants to stay and who wants to move on. The trouble is that some players will want to hang off until they see what other offers are coming in. In such circumstances Stuart McCall has said recently that MFC will adopt a harder line this year. Offers will be made to the players the club wishes to retain and deadlines set. If they don't sign by the set date then replacements will be sourced. Fair enough in my book.

love how people guess what's going and pretend know what is going on behind the scenes... what managers and players should or shouldn't do when it comes to contract renewals. Especially when players and management wouldn't give this forum a glance. Think it should be left to the football department at the club and the fans should await official announcements/press releases.

• Like 1

See if you were in the pub and a few folk were discussing you or your work, you may or may not contribute to that or even pay attention to it. This forum is what it is, a place where 'Well fans talk shite about Motherwell. These are opinions, conjecture, guesses and bullshit with the occasional insight or fact thrown in. If it's taken you ten years to work that out then we'll be holding off on that Nobel prize for you for a while yet.

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with what we're doing. These are discussion boards and there's nought wrong with that, as long as debate is kept is kept courteous and respectful. Yes there's gossip and rumours with some facts thrown in, but that's what most football fans do.

We often hear players' points of view, usually from agents or third parties, but rarely the club's on contract / transfer negotiations. Thats the way it should be unless a player's agent starts stirring it in which case the club has been to slow in the past to come forward to counter any spurious claims - not quite so bad these days. A few controversial / economical with the truth comments from a third party was usually sufficient to egg on many fans to start slagging off the club. However many fans are a wee bit wiser these days when an agent states the club hasn't been in contact or made a derisory offer to their client.

We've all heard "reliable" rumours about transfer targets, some as recently as last Saturday, but a few are best kept quiet until the club and player conclude business.

It's the club that needs to commit to the players.

Even if no contracts have been offered at this stage I'm sure McCall has talked to the players he wants to keep and intimated that the contract offer will be forthcoming.

In the mean time I think it's only right that we concentrate on the football for now. Success on the field will mean a lot more money available for the player budget especially if we can overtake Aberdeen.

Even if no contracts have been offered at this stage I'm sure McCall has talked to the players he wants to keep and intimated that the contract offer will be forthcoming.

In the mean time I think it's only right that we concentrate on the football for now. Success on the field will mean a lot more money available for the player budget especially if we can overtake Aberdeen.

Agree 100%. Until our final league position is known we will not know the playing budget for next year and therefore how far we can push the boat out for individual players.

Aside from the obvious "words in ears" we cant offer contracts without knowing how small the playing budget will be for next season and that wont be fully known until our final league position is confirmed and whether or not we will be in Europe! So until then we obviously play our best team with Gunnar becoming more of a hero every match evilgrin.gifevilgrin.gif