On This Day

decorator

Thanks for that. My late father was at that game and never tired of telling me and my brother 9who had stayed from the family tradition and follows Hibs) all about it. We had some team coming through at that time. A shame they never won any silver-wear while at the club but we were a selling club even then.

St John’s legendary scoring feat was a Scottish professional record for a few years. He was quick to prove it was no fluke either as he also scored a hat-trick on his debut for Liverpool against arch rivals Everton.

The Scots seem to love scoring fast hat-tricks... Queen of the South player Tommy Bryce took all of 1 minute 46 seconds to slot three past Arbroath in 1993. He went on to score a fourth in their 6-0 win. According to Guinness The fastest time to score three goals is 90 seconds and was achieved by Tommy Ross for Ross County against Nairn County at Dingwall Ross-shire, Scotland on 28 November 1964.

Like today on 15 August 1959, o Ian St. John makes record, scoring the fastest hat-trick in Scottish football, when he scored 3 goals in two and a half minutes into the match of Motherwell by Hibernian in the League Cup match.

10474642_10202875913914517_774727897759958135_n_zpsa4d6007d.jpg

:notworthy:

Now that's what ye call a Motherwell strip !!!!!

Lovey wide band, white shorts and hooped socks :thumbup:

My mum and dad used to live next door to St John in the old Thistle Street around this time