John Sutton 2014/15 Season

Stu

I don't get to many Motherwell games. I've not seen us once this season yet. John Sutton proved so many doubters wrong last season when he scored a significant amount of goals. This season, he appears to copping a fair amount of flak. As I don't see as much of our team as most of you do, I'm interested as to why this is.

Is his general play worse than last year? Is he simply judged purely and solely on his goals scored (as opposed to his general team play)? Has his service diminished? Does he appear to have the same desire and hunger? Are the others around him not giving him enough support?

I don't get to many Motherwell games. I've not seen us once this season yet. John Sutton proved so many doubters wrong last season when he scored a significant amount of goals. This season, he appears to copping a fair amount of flak. As I don't see as much of our team as most of you do, I'm interested as to why this is.

Is his general play worse than last year? Is he simply judged purely and solely on his goals scored (as opposed to his general team play)? Has his service diminished? Does he appear to have the same desire and hunger? Are the others around him not giving him enough support?

A little bit of both methinks.

Still I think when he gets his first goal he'll go on a wee run again. He'll still hit double figures easy.

Pretty much this for me. It hasn't been uncommon for him during his two spells with us to go four, five six games without a goal. And when he does more often than not he'll go on and score in three or four of the next five or six games. I think perhaps akin to the start of last season where the service to him wasn't great and it took him a few games to get on the scoresheet.

He just needs that first goal to get up and running.

In all fairness we could be having this debate about any number of about 7 or 8 players just now. Simple fact is the whole team has under performed so far by their own standards from last season

Pretty much. I think it's unfair to single out individual players when we've hardly have a good performance even on an individual player basis, never mind as a team.

The one thing about Sutton I would say is that he needs to stay on his feet. It's extremely frustrating to watch, especially when we aren't doing well.

Yes give him proper service and he'll deliver. It's who is going to get decent balls into the box that's my main concern. Ainsworth doesn't look up for it and everyone else is getting swamped in midfield chasing shadows blowing out their arses. Worrying times. <_>

The fundamental problem is that we've not had a proper pre-season. Other than the Fulham game, we had a hurriedly-arranged match with Betis and little else. Seems to me that we were (for some unknown reason) trying to use the Stjarnan games as 'stand-ins'. Why we thought they were another Havnar Boltfelag I'll never know...

It's been something that's always struck me about us, we never really seem to play many pre-season friendlies. Not sure if it's just been more noticeable over the past few years because of the European games however.

Sutty will come good, everyone will. A couple of wins under our belts and we'll be up and running.

To be fair to Sutton, we could replace him with Drogba just now and he'd equally ineffective!!

Sutton is not the type of player to create chances, he never has been, he needs service and when that happens he becomes effective!!

unfortunately we have no creative players in the midfield. Lasley and Carswell aren't those types of players and Josh Law is what he is, a Conference player. Ainsworth could create but he doesn't look arsed and Vigurs, even when fit, fannies about too much, although I do appreciate he's talented.

I have a horrible feeling things will get worse before they get better, another few weeks of pish ahead until the sick notes get back.

• Like 1

The fundamental problem is that we've not had a proper pre-season. Other than the Fulham game, we had a hurriedly-arranged match with Betis and little else. Seems to me that we were (for some unknown reason) trying to use the Stjarnan games as 'stand-ins'. Why we thought they were another Havnar Boltfelag I'll never know...

It's been something that's always struck me about us, we never really seem to play many pre-season friendlies. Not sure if it's just been more noticeable over the past few years because of the European games however.

Sutty will come good, everyone will. A couple of wins under our belts and we'll be up and running.

Official MFC Twitter, I seem to remember, pointed out that the Betis game was our 8th pre-season match. A number of them were behind closed doors, but I don't think we can use that as an excuse.

All for the idea of chest height passes. Said for years that the big man has a 50p head and otherwise generally immaculate close control. Give him what he thrives on ffs.

His close control this season been shire too. I am a fan but he needs to do more or Erwin will take his shirt.

I don't really think it's fair to have thread exclusively devoted to Sutton when there should easily be one for Lasley, McManus and Law aswell!!

That said, Sutton once again was fucking murder today. Is incapable of even the most basic aspects of football.

He's not a very good footballer tbh, but he does a job and is very effective if used in the right system. We just need to start using him in the right system.

100% correct. The system we are using this season simply does not suit him. There are 2 choices: you either stick with the same system and replace him with someone better suited to that role or you change the system and retain him. The status quo is not an option.