Best Forwards Pairing

chummy

Was speaking to the auld guy beside me on sat about our strikers.

The best pairing in my time supporting mwell are wee Bobby Graham and Wullie Pettigrew.....lethal pairing.

thoughts??

edit to add .

one if my first away games wi the old man was when we beat Celtic at parkhead when bobby n wullie were playing ...massive big sideburns lol

• Like 2

Terrorised the old firm those two.

Did Butcher not say wee Dougie was one of the best strikers he played against?

I'm pretty sure Arnott scored 23 goals against the OF. He scored 60 odd, maybe into the 70s overall in all competitions so that was a pretty big chunk of his career total.

The best strikers were in my time where, in order 1. Tommy Coyne, 2. Scott McDonald, 3. Owen Coyle.

The best pairing though was Arnott/Coyne. Over a 100 league goals between them for Motherwell and most of them playing with each other.

Besides goals one of my all time favourite memories is Dougie ripping the shit out of Basil Boli who got sent off after a late tackle and then took a maddie and started jumping up and down, stamping his feet and throwing his arms about at the ref. Hilarious.

• Like 1

Pettigrew and Graham no competition

Hard to disagree with this.

I'd also give an honourable mention to Willie Irvine and Bruce Cleland, for season '81 - '82 alone. To say that they weren't the most technically gifted of strikers would be a vast understatement, but that was a magical season. Brian McLaughlin blasted in his share as well. RIP, Brian.

Graham and Pettigrew for me. When I was kid I thought Wullie P was just how strikers played.

You often look back and realize nostalgia has made you overestimate the quality of some players, but I'm always happy to see that these guys still live up to their reputation. Graham only kept out of a great Liverpool team by Ian St. John (who was smart enough to bring him to Fir Park), and Wullie P with a burst of speed over 10 yards that left agricultural defenders (on agricultural pitches) in his wake.

Graham and Pettigrew for me. When I was kid I thought Wullie P was just how strikers played.

You often look back and realize nostalgia has made you overestimate the quality of some players, but I'm always happy to see that these guys still live up to their reputation. Graham only kept out of a great Liverpool team by Ian St. John (who was smart enough to bring him to Fir Park), and Wullie P with a burst of speed over 10 yards that left agricultural defenders (on agricultural pitches) in his wake.

He did that weeyin - and he was fast particularly over the initial 10 yard burst. But he certainly didn't leave Laurie Cunningham and Cyril Regis in his wake - sprint pre Joe Wark Testimonial - they were like shit off a shovel.

1425027732[/url]' post='433976']

Without a shadow of a doubt Pettigrew & Graham. The best pairing I've seen in 50+ years. Pettigrew was lethal and lightning quick. Graham had a real football brain and defenders simply didn't know what he was doing until the ball was in the net.

No doubts about this one. Leathal pairing, Graham the brains and Pettigrew, pace and lethal finishing.