Dave Mackay

Bigwellfan

I saw him play a few times in the late 50s at Fir Park, and I can tell you he had no fear. But I can also tell you that it was a thrill to watch him, even when playing against us. In those days the best games were Motherwell v Hearts, and the crowds were always 2-3k higher than normal.

But I can also say he wouldn't last five minutes in todays game, and it would not be 2 yellows but a straight red because he took no prisoners. That was the way the game was played back then before the wimps took over. Andy Paton never took prisoners either. Todays players are perhaps fitter than they were back then, but there were some great players back then that todays bunch of mamby pambys couldn't touch, and Dave Mackay was one of them.

I saw him play a few times in the late 50s at Fir Park, and I can tell you he had no fear. But I can also tell you that it was a thrill to watch him, even when playing against us. In those days the best games were Motherwell v Hearts, and the crowds were always 2-3k higher than normal.

But I can also say he wouldn't last five minutes in todays game, and it would not be 2 yellows but a straight red because he took no prisoners. That was the way the game was played back then before the wimps took over. Andy Paton never took prisoners either. Todays players are perhaps fitter than they were back then, but there were some great players back then that todays bunch of mamby pambys couldn't touch, and Dave Mackay was one of them.

Nice find. I can put Dave Mackay in my All Time Motherwell XI now!

He did play his part in denying Motherwell a trophy though, beating us in the Final.