Fir Park Club

ONeils40yarder

Wonder if some partnership can't be struck with the club in the whole "community club" sense. As much as I'm all for it being a Motherwell run bar, don't want it to detract from the club.

Absolutely. For better or for worse much of the new venture's business would be based on the proximity of Fir Park and of course MFC. Any new owner would know that perfectly well and I just hope they don't soak up business from our club, without any symbiosis.

Absolutely. For better or for worse much of the new venture's business would be based on the proximity of Fir Park and of course MFC. Any new owner would know that perfectly well and I just hope they don't soak up business from our club, without any symbiosis.

If the club wanted to make money from it they should have bought it . Good luck to those willing to pony up and take the risks themselves.

• Like 1

If the club wanted to make money from it they should have bought it . Good luck to those willing to pony up and take the risks themselves.

The Club built and already owned the 'white elephant' - why take it on again, when in the current climate of pubs shutting its likely to be a concern that's only likely to ever provide any sustainable income every 2nd Saturday (or whatever day the TV companies deem the games to go ahead).

If the beer and atmosphere inside is any good can only be a good thing for the punters going for a few pints on match days.

Lets be honest the Cooper suite is not the best as the lager is rank rotten, seating is not the best and if not in early your standing , bar staff really slow when its busy, its always boiling hot inside it and no atmosphere in it.

So if new owner makes a good go of it im sure it will be worth a visit .

JT.

• Like 2

Tbh it was ma da who was telling me as he knows the boys involved, he was telling me about the layout and what not. nothing gorundbreaking. and there is an upstairs they are gonna try use. I will see if I bump into the new owner and see what he says about it.

The Club built and already owned the 'white elephant' - why take it on again, when in the current climate of pubs shutting its likely to be a concern that's only likely to ever provide any sustainable income every 2nd Saturday (or whatever day the TV companies deem the games to go ahead).

Ah thought it opened initially as Motherwell Squash club in the early 80's and it went tits up after a couple of years and then the Fir Park Club moved in from under the stand.........did not know it was built by MFC.......did we sell it to the Fir Park club ?

It was built AFAIR by MFC as a gym/fitness facility, for use both by the club and the general public. At one time there was even talk of building a walkover, between it and the ground. From what I gathered at the time - they did sell it, but it was a forced sale - FPC were removed from their bar/lounges under the main stand and forced to buy and move or fold (it was at this point that link between FPC and the club was severed - it had of course originally been set-up to generate funds for MFC - any year end profits being gifted to the club).

Basically it became a millstone round the club's neck and they had to move it on and the FPC were clearly seen as the ideal candidates, though I don't think by the FPC committee at the time.