End Of Season Analysis

milo

Hold off for a week. There will be plenty of time in June to apportion blame to the old and new regime.

The majority of folk in Scotland with a passing interest in football, will want us to do the business this week. So it's important we get right behind our own team. Deep down, we know we are more than capable of doing them if we approach correctly.

• Like 1

Do we pick through the bones of this clusterfuck of a season now and apportion blame, or wait till after the play offs?

Even in the unlikely event we somehow survive the play offs the guilty are still guilty.

I've been saying it since about October. If we escape relegation this season it's been a success. If it goes to the last minute of a two legged play off, so be it.

As for this guilty chat, a lot of the players in that squad this season have contributed significantly to almost a decade of unparalleled league finishes. This season has been very poor but the key part of that phrase is "this season".

Fans need longer memories before they start going around looking to scapegoat players, especially guys that have done a lot for this club down the years.

• Like 4

Kinda agree with ya bezzer...for instance Keith Lasley has been outstanding year in year out and although he has been pish this year I certainly wont be blaming him for our relegation

Other players though are a complete disgrace and im sure they will get the boot in the close season

Feels like some fans have been itching for this thread to start since Christmas. It doesn't matter who we blame, we don't make the decisions for next season.

The usual suspects will be rolling out the usual names. It's been a bad season - not the worst - but very bad. The good news is that we are more secure financially and have already started the necessary restructuring of the club's operations. Imagine the state we'd be in if we were relegated this time last year.

If we beat Rangers in the play-off final, this place will suddenly be the happiest place on earth.

But the time for a post season analysis is post season. If you don't have the stomach for seasons like this from time to time, Motherwell is not the team for you.

• Like 2

I've been saying it since about October. If we escape relegation this season it's been a success. If it goes to the last minute of a two legged play off, so be it.

As for this guilty chat, a lot of the players in that squad this season have contributed significantly to almost a decade of unparalleled league finishes. This season has been very poor but the key part of that phrase is "this season".

Fans need longer memories before they start going around looking to scapegoat players, especially guys that have done a lot for this club down the years.

This.

From playing staff to the backroom, there are a lot of people who are still at the club who deserve thanks for giving us 7 years of on-pitch success. Aye, mistakes have been made however the risk here (and this thread will end up being the perfect example), is that the inevitable over simplified analysis will result in scapegoating and blame based on half-truths and skewed perceptions of reality.

As always, the truth tends to be far more complex than what's trotted out on here, and probably more complex than those involved at the club and in the game can fathom.

Not the worst? Certainly has been in my lifetime.

Must be great to be so young.

2 actual relegations (plus 2 years struggling to make top 6 in the First Division) apart, we have finished bottom with worse teams than this another couple of times. Saved once by league reconstruction and once by dodgy stadium seating rules.

• Like 2

Must be great to be so young.

2 actual relegations (plus 2 years struggling to make top 6 in the First Division) apart, we have finished bottom with worse teams than this another couple of times. Saved once by league reconstruction and once by dodgy stadium seating rules.

Obviously I am younger than you but I don't for a second think the administration season in which we beat both the Old Firm and stuck six past Hearts and Livingston with a crop of our own kids was worse than this term.

Obviously I am younger than you but I don't for a second think the administration season in which we beat both the Old Firm and stuck six past Hearts and Livingston with a crop of our own kids was worse than this term.

Those four matches you have mentioned were very much the highlights in a full match season.

We had an 11 and then a 9 winless streak that season. That's two winless streaks worse than our worst run this season which is 8.

Those four matches you have mentioned were very much the highlights in a full match season.

We had an 11 and then a 9 winless streak that season. That's two winless streaks worse than our worst run this season which is 8.

That's true, but the games I mentioned showcased more quality than anything we've produced this season. Also, that season was off the back of administration when we had to let most of the squad go and rely on boys. The nonsense we are currently being served up is the result of heavy investment and that makes it far, far worse.

• Like 1

Would agree with that.

We've had supposedly decent players this season who look like they don't give a f*ck or have suddenly became shite.Everybody knew we were shite that season we finished bottom, we were just happy to still have a team.This season there was expectation and we've been awful since the very first game against the Icelandic part timers.

The "heavy" investment came after we were up shit creek. It's rare for any team to be able to buy itself out of that kind of trouble. You don't ever get the best players in the January window.

However, I think the only strange thing about this season was the timing. We had a massive rebuild 2 seasons ago, and it was likely that was going to have a negative impact on the team. What happened last season was, by any stretch, remarkable. I have no idea how you can lose so many first team players and win as many games as we did. What we're seeing now is what I expected then.

But, win the play-off and it will still be one of the sweetest ever

I certainly expected a poorer season this time but not nearly as poor as we have had - maybe finishing in 5/6/7 place? However the root cause of our demise this time was Stuart McCall's fundamental errors in the transfer /player market especially but not exclusively last summer. A prime example was Iain Vigurs. It was well known in footballing circles that the lad had a serious back problem and yet we still signed him. Our central midfield has been in need of major overhaul for a year or two and yet nothing was done about that. These are the kind of errors that have cost us big time.

I certainly expected a poorer season this time but not nearly as poor as we have had - maybe finishing in 5/6/7 place? However the root cause of our demise this time was Stuart McCall's fundamental errors in the transfer /player market especially but not exclusively last summer. A prime example was Iain Vigurs. It was well known in footballing circles that the lad had a serious back problem and yet we still signed him. Our central midfield has been in need of major overhaul for a year or two and yet nothing was done about that. These are the kind of errors that have cost us big time.

I could be wrong but I think most people were quite excited about the prospect of the 2 Ross County boys when they signed.

& as much as you are right on the midfield I don't think many could have predicted the season Lasley would have.

Agree with others that if we go down in will be the worst season iv ever experienced.

If we stay up as someone said earlier, it'll be like helicopter Sunday!!!

The shit McCall left us in has received next to no acknowledgement outside our fan base. Doubt it will now. The players should still have been good enough to at least scrape 10th spot minimum. Nobody expected another top 3 finish but the collapse has been incredible. Barraclough then managed to turn a 6 point lead over 11th spot in to being 6 points adrift of 10th spot despite being given funds to bring in a wad of players.

Then there's the appointment of Barraclough...

These are the areas for starters that should be under the microscope.

Even if we manage to somehow survive the play offs (of which I think we have absolutely no chance) this is by far and away the worst season I've ever experienced.

If we stay up as someone said earlier, it'll be like helicopter Sunday!!!

Bollocks, it will be much better. Helicopter Sunday was us winning a game which we then got to rub it in Celtics faces that we stopped them winning the league.

If we beat Rangers this time, it is our win, it's us who benefits, not the other arse cheek!

• Like 4

Bollocks, it will be much better. Helicopter Sunday was us winning a game which we then got to rub it in Celtics faces that we stopped them winning the league.

If we beat Rangers this time, it is our win, it's us who benefits, not the other arse cheek!

This.

With the exception of '91, a win in the play-off finals will be the single greatest moment of my life supporting the 'Well. Last year at Aberdeen was better than Skippy Sunday for me.