1950Ish Motherwell Player?

Alan1899

Does anyone recognise this Motherwell player. The card is from 1950(ish). The card says it's Jacky Watters of Celtic (previously with Airdrie), but that is incorrect.

Can anyone help identify this player?

Other Motherwell players in the "Smashers" set are Redpatch, Johnston, Paton, Bremner, Kilmarnock, Mathie and Aitkenhead.

Thanks

Alan

Thanks for your help. I've just found a programme for the 1947-48 Celtic - Motherwell Scottish Cup tie and there's a Watters in the Motherwell line-up.

As you may have guessed, I'm not a Motherwell supporter. I haven't been able to find any information about a Motherwell player called Watters.

The name on the front of the card could well be right, perhaps the biography is of a different player?

Hard to tell, however, it could possibly be Johnny Aitkenhead who sign from Hibs around that time (the only issue is that the kit doesn’t match (we changed to white collars in season1949-50 and I think that was the season when he signed up).

johnny-aitkenhead-motherwell-fc-football

Thanks for your help. There is a card for Aitkenhead in the "Smashers" collection, so it's probably not him.

Sorry, forgot you weren't a ''Well fan so you won't have the book. I'm sure some other guys on here will confirm its Wee Johnny, eventually.

Thanks for your input. I suppose it could be that they've used two different photos of Aitkenhead and used one of them on this card.

Google image search brings up Andy Paton and team receiving League Cup. Watters scored in the final and the guy front left looks a weebit like the photocard . Could be your man

Found it, thank you. That's definitely the guy shown on the card. All I need now is confirmation that it is Willie Watters.

Here's a link to that image, with the one second left looking like the player on the card...

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/377/839599-2.jpg

Looks like the mystery has been solved. Just curious why are you so interested in this particular player?

A friend of mine told me it wasn't Jacky Watters as indicated by the back of the card. I just wanted to try and find out who it was.

You guys have been brilliant, I'll be do an update on my blog later today.

Thanks again to everyone.

Alan

• Like 1

A friend of mine told me it wasn't Jacky Watters as indicated by the back of the card. I just wanted to try and find out who it was.

You guys have been brilliant, I'll be do an update on my blog later today.

Thanks again to everyone.

Alan

If you can post a link to your blog post that would be great. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if you are serious, but here's the link.

http://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/mm-frame-sport-photos-glasgow-fra_23.html

Alan

My Uncle used to collect cigarette cards when he was a kid through to adulthood (Early 1930s onwards, he sold them all in the mid 90s) Since then I have always had an interest in football cards from a bygone era.

My Uncle used to collect cigarette cards when he was a kid through to adulthood (Early 1930s onwards, he sold them all in the mid 90s) Since then I have always had an interest in football cards from a bygone era.

A friend of mine, Robert Muat, is providing me with plenty of stuff on Scottish cards, like A&J Donaldson 'Sports Favourites', these Smashers cards, and others like Kiddys Favourites and Junior Pastimes.

Thank you weeyin

I think it's fair to say that the guy on the card is Willie Watters and the publishers have messed up by putting Jakcy Watters details on the reverse.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out.

Alan

Credit where it's due - I found it on google, but it's actually hosted by the guys at Fir Park Corner:

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/motherwell_loses_a_great__andy_paton_has_died_824071/index.shtml