Time To Relax

grizzlyg

Evening folks, I have spent last 24hrs reading lots of posts and yes things not good at moment but let's all get together and have positive outlook. Yesterday I couldn't believe the sheer negativity. Yes I was amazed at ego mcghee's decisions and I ain't his biggest fan but all I want is our club to stay up and move on next season. Also and I know a lot won't agree but the abuse the lineswoman got yesterday at times was crazy. If any of us called someone an a**hole or daft bitch in the street ye wouldn't get away with it. She wasn't reason we lost yesterday. I have been going to Well games since 1977 as a 5yr old when my Dad took me as he was a life long Well fan. I lost my Dad 18months ago and believe you me if I had a choice between having him still here or losing a few games of football I think we can all know what is more important. Things will improve folks and hopefully starting with Killie match...altogether now..CMONNNNNN YEEEEEEE WELLLLLLLLLLLL

• Like 7

Way to sensible for the Internet.

On a positive note, though we cannot buy a break at the moment, these were games that we were shipping three or four goals in last season. A change of luck and a couple of guys finding some form and we will turn it round. Stay classy and COY W!

We've been spoiled in recent years, reaching heights that, when I started following the 'Well, were pipedreams. In the 45 seasons or so I have been watching this mob, the vast majority of the seasons have involved lower half of the table struggles and a couple of relegations. Not to mention the seasons where we cheated relegation thanks to dodgy stadium rules and league reconstruction.

I was at at the games where we were officially relegated and with a couple of exceptions, went to every game home and away when we were dossing around the first division. If you choose to watch our team, you are going to be disappointed more often than not. The first real heartbreak I suffered was the Airdrie semi-final replay in the Scottish Cup - Stewart Rennie's breach of the 4 step rule a harsh lesson of what was to come. From that day forward, I have savoured every victory regardless of how small or large.

I was lucky enough to be at Hampden when we won the Cup, and even luckier that I was able to share it, standing beside all my old 'Well supporting school mates (and a number of Accies supporting mates). I said then I would die a happy man because I knew from bitter experience how the planets had to be aligned for a club like ours. Wee Tommy had assembled a great team over the years, but I had seen better squads fail to pick up a trophy.

I touched on this story in a different thread, but never went into details. The year Butcher took us to the CIS Final, I was working in NYC. I had booked my fight home for the game, but a few days before we had a work emergency. There was a project that needed someone to fly to Hong Kong for a few weeks and nobody was available. One of the big bosses called me up and asked me if I could go.

I told him I had holidays planned and didn't really want to change them. As well as 2 or 3 weeks in Hong Kong all expenses paid, he told me if I cancelled my (cheapo cattle class) flight back home, that after the project, he'd pay for me and the wife to fly anywhere we chose First Class. I turned him down with the story that my Mum was ill and I really needed to go home. That was partially true, but the real reason I turned it down was to be at my 2nd Cup Final.

So I turned all that down and came home, cheapo style, to watch us collapse big time in the Final. Would I have changed it? No way, because it was a great experience I was able to share with my family and good mates again.

Those experiences are what makes the game enjoyable - or on some occasions, at least tolerable. They also make the good times great, because the majority of the Motherwell experience is disappointment.

I have enjoyed standing on the terraces at Firs Park watching us beat East Stirling in a game where the foodlights were so bad the ref missed a handball on the goal line. I was at a game at Fir Park where we kicked off both halves. I was at Love Street the night Steve Kirk was red carded for headbutting Billy Abercrombie and Abercrombie received 3 red cards for his response. I was in Perth when Hugh Sproat was having a snowball fight with the 'Well fans during the game. I was at a Stirling Albion game where we chatted to the linesman and ended up persuading him not to flag Willie Irvine offside.

That's the kind of experience you need to savour as a 'Well fan, because despite the McCall years and brief success under McGhee the first time, most seasons are rank rotten.

• Like 9

We've been spoiled in recent years, reaching heights that, when I started following the 'Well, were pipedreams. In the 45 seasons or so I have been watching this mob, the vast majority of the seasons have involved lower half of the table struggles and a couple of relegations. Not to mention the seasons where we cheated relegation thanks to dodgy stadium rules and league reconstruction.

I was at at the games where we were officially relegated and with a couple of exceptions, went to every game home and away when we were dossing around the first division. If you choose to watch our team, you are going to be disappointed more often than not. The first real heartbreak I suffered was the Airdrie semi-final replay in the Scottish Cup - Stewart Rennie's breach of the 4 step rule a harsh lesson of what was to come. From that day forward, I have savoured every victory regardless of how small or large.

I was lucky enough to be at Hampden when we won the Cup, and even luckier that I was able to share it, standing beside all my old 'Well supporting school mates (and a number of Accies supporting mates). I said then I would die a happy man because I knew from bitter experience how the planets had to be aligned for a club like ours. Wee Tommy had assembled a great team over the years, but I had seen better squads fail to pick up a trophy.

I touched on this story in a different thread, but never went into details. The year Butcher took us to the CIS Final, I was working in NYC. I had booked my fight home for the game, but a few days before we had a work emergency. There was a project that needed someone to fly to Hong Kong for a few weeks and nobody was available. One of the big bosses called me up and asked me if I could go.

I told him I had holidays planned and didn't really want to change them. As well as 2 or 3 weeks in Hong Kong all expenses paid, he told me if I cancelled my (cheapo cattle class) flight back home, that after the project, he'd pay for me and the wife to fly anywhere we chose First Class. I turned him down with the story that my Mum was ill and I really needed to go home. That was partially true, but the real reason I turned it down was to be at my 2nd Cup Final.

So I turned all that down and came home, cheapo style, to watch us collapse big time in the Final. Would I have changed it? No way, because it was a great experience I was able to share with my family and good mates again.

Those experiences are what makes the game enjoyable - or on some occasions, at least tolerable. They also make the good times great, because the majority of the Motherwell experience is disappointment.

I have enjoyed standing on the terraces at Firs Park watching us beat East Stirling in a game where the foodlights were so bad the ref missed a handball on the goal line. I was at a game at Fir Park where we kicked off both halves. I was at Love Street the night Steve Kirk was red carded for headbutting Billy Abercrombie and Abercrombie received 3 red cards for his response. I was in Perth when Hugh Sproat was having a snowball fight with the 'Well fans during the game. I was at a Stirling Albion game where we chatted to the linesman and ended up persuading him not to flag Willie Irvine offside.

That's the kind of experience you need to savour as a 'Well fan, because despite the McCall years and brief success under McGhee the first time, most seasons are rank rotten.

Nice story and sentiments. Makes you wonder why we put ourselves through it sometimes, but I have come to the conclusion that being a Motherwell fan and all it entails is part of who I am and not possible to just give up. Nobody I have met here in Taranaki has heard of Motherwell and my kiwi wife finds it odd that I sometimes get up in the middle of the night to follow games online or listen on mixl, and that I am a grumpy bugger when we lose, but she accepts it as one of my many foibles. The good times make the struggle worthwhile.

• Like 1

Cracking post Weeyin. I was one of the "embarrassments" dishing out the abuse towards McGhee on Saturday but I live and breathe this club. it's sometimes easy to get sucked in with the emotion of it all especially in the Scottish Cup, 1991 was my first game so as I was only 4 I don't remember too much just snippets of the broken down train trying to get to it haha.

We've had some absolute rank times but our major highs always stand on top of that, beating The Sheep to qualify for Europe, cracking semi finals against Hearts and St Johnstone, scudding Rangers 6-1 plus Champions League and Europa League Qualifers. It's crazy to think what we have achieved in the last few years but that has made the bad times in the past season seem that wee bit harder, that goes for me aswell.

We will prevail as we always do CMON YE WELL!

it's sometimes easy to get sucked in with the emotion of it all.....

I'm more concerned when folk don't get sucked into the emotion of it all. As long as we show respect to each other a bit of argument and discussion is no bad thing. Its healthy to get matters off your chest when things go wrong, or even sometimes when they go right.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Cannot say that often.

Like those above started going to odd games here and there in mid to late seventies. I was never from Motherwell and have never lived within a 45-60 minute drive. So all games are / were away games to an extent.

But I do think I am lucky I have seen us in 3 finals inc 1991. Should be more but as is widely known Hibs last won the Sc Cup in 1902!

Also Uefa Cup, Cup Winners Cup, Europa League and Champions League. Been to 9 away trips in Europe inc Nancy which with 2500+ well fans was a fantastic experience and a epic journey both ways...

I was gutted on Saturday - 3 late goals in a row and being Motherwell I would not rule out a 4th or 5th....

When all is said and done we support a team that has actually achieved quite a lot. We could have achieved more, but we also could have been an Ayr, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Morton, St Mirren, all teams of a comparable size languishing in lower leagues for most of the time we have been in top flight.

Nah it could be worse - a lot worse

• Like 1

Could be worse that we get relegated and turn out like your dunfemlines, falkirks etc and don't get back up straight away

Took us 3 seasons the first relegation I had the pleasure of watching.

Despite the struggles on the field, it was one of my favourite times watching the 'Well, standing on the terraces with my mates at a lot of away grounds that don't exist any more. Midweek trips to the likes Shawfield, Kilbowie, Boghead and Firs Park were the order of the day.

Since we entered the top division in 1903 we've only spent 6 seasons outside it.

Getting relegated would be a disaster.

I agree it would be bad news, financially, and might lead to cuts which would hamper the club and its development. On a footballing side it might not be all bad news. The SPFL is pretty stagnant with the same clubs to play three or four times a season. One season of visiting new places and hopefully winning a good few games might freshen things up. Of course, there are no guarantees that it would just be one season, so on balance we are better off where we are, but it wouldn't all be negative.