Games In The States

Neilwell86

The evening times posted an article in the gossip column today saying that Dundee's home game against celtic is set to take place in philadelphia and the deal could be as good as 85% done, I personally think this is an absolute joke. Has anyone else heard anything about this ?

It's not isolated to football of course, you have the increasing number of NFL games in London and I think the English rugby side Saracens played a European Cup game in Belgium for example.

But like those who've posted already I'm not a fan of the idea in the slightest. For me It's right up there with the awful concessions made to those who want to forego playing league matches to cash in on friendlies.

I would vociferously oppose any attempts that Motherwell made to copy such a scheme or indeed, extremely unlikely as it would be, if were ever unfortunate enough to be the "away" side forced to travel to whatever country to play our fixture.

Doncaster and his ilk will smugly stand and talk of increased exposure and opportunity and commend the innovation but there's some right fucking stupid thinking coming out of the Scottish football at the moment in the desperation to be seen to do something different. The attempts to involve Welsh and Irish sides in the Challenge Cup is another. Clyde v Dungannon Swifts in the pissing rain in Cumbernauld in November. Absolutely fucking mouthwatering stuff!!

• Like 2

Had a quick read at the article, not sure how likely this is to happen however talk of the fixture being before the split (no fixtures even announced yet) and both teams going away for a week in advance.... If Dundee are needing points to stay in the league how beneficial will this trip be? Almost guaranteed the majority of the crowd will be rooting for Celtic too. No home advantage at all. Daft. Dundee living in a fantasy world if this is happening for a league game. I could see it being more viable after the split with little to play for, almost like a friendly match - but appreciate turning a fixture around like that in a few weeks woukd be pretty tough.

Shows Scottish football as a joke should never be allowed if it happened to us would want rebate on sesson ticket for missing that game unless they paid for transport to it lol

They're getting either a £20 rebate or a £25 voucher for the club shop.

If it's Dundee's home game Celtic better not be getting a penny of the gate.

Aye, I'm sure Celtic would agree to travelling the squad over to the states and playing there without getting a penny of the home gate. That definitely seems like a likely scenario.

People are saying what else do you expect from the SPFL but as Andy and others have pointed out, other sports have done it and let's not forget the Premier League in England had mooted the idea of a "39th game" to be played in some foreign land. So not an idea that's come out of nowhere.

As Steelboy points out, if it's a Dundee home game, they might make a fair bit of money from it, if rules regarding gate receipts are followed...

The difference between the NFL and the SPFL is the NFL has saturated its multi-billion dollar market and is looking to expand. The SPFL can't even negotiate a reasonable deal with the TV companies in Scotland. Same goes for the EPL who also have a multi-billion pound product they are looking to expand.

In one sense, it seems like a reasonable idea to grow your market, but there is so much more that could be done domestically it sounds more like a money making scheme for Celtic than an actual attempt and increasing the visibility of our game.

They'll feel at home in Philly, though. The fans there for all sports are pretty brutal...

The difference between the NFL and the SPFL is the NFL has saturated its multi-billion dollar market and is looking to expand. The SPFL can't even negotiate a reasonable deal with the TV companies in Scotland. Same goes for the EPL who also have a multi-billion pound product they are looking to expand.

In one sense, it seems like a reasonable idea to grow your market, but there is so much more that could be done domestically it sounds more like a money making scheme for Celtic than an actual attempt and increasing the visibility of our game.

They'll feel at home in Philly, though. The fans there for all sports are pretty brutal...

Is it not Dundee's American owners who have been pushing this? According to the Evening Tele they're the ones driving it. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/american-peh-deal-dundee-v-celtic-game-usa-85-complete/

Edit: John Nelms has had quite a bit to say about how the Scottish game markets, or fails to market, itself: https://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/scotland-hardest-league-world-says-dundee-chief-john-nelms/

Fair play to Dundee for looking to improve their income, although definitely not a fan of it. Celtic are the big draw in America so they will be making money from it and goes against the rules of the game in terms of attendance money. Surely if Celtic get a cut of this then the same rule would have to apply for all games?

Fair play to Dundee for looking to improve their income, although definitely not a fan of it. Celtic are the big draw in America so they will be making money from it and goes against the rules of the game in terms of attendance money. Surely if Celtic get a cut of this then the same rule would have to apply for all games?

I can count on the fingers of one...er...finger the number of Celtic fans I know in America. Funnily enough, he's in Philly. I know one other guy who knows who they are, and I know one guy who knows who rangers are - and he's an Albanian