Fixtures 2016/17

Toxteth O'Grady

In principle I don't think fixtures should be balanced to reflect size of club. However, I think today emphasis that the league structure should be balanced in a way that you play every team the same number of times home and away.

We, along with Accies and Thistle by the looks of it, have taken a significant financial hit today. However it's a structure all clubs seem to support.

• Like 1

I thought when they announced the split set-up they said that all clubs would have equal amounts of home and away games against Celtic and Rangers.

Huge financial pressure on us to finish top six with those fixtures (assuming Rangers are going to throw money at it to ensure they make top six).

Hope MFC delegates are all over the fixture rigging!

In a balanced league, using celtic and rangers for what they are...the financial draw, then surely the fair approach is 5 teams get celtic twice pre-split and rangers once. Vice versa for the other 5 teams.

As well as losing one premium game pre-split, it's likely MFC lose an opportunity for a live TV game.

Add in only 1 visit from Aberdeen, then by the end of game 33 we are likely to have one of the lowest average away attendance. Commercially unfair.

The last four seasons with no Rangers in the top flight have went swimmingly, and we've survived just fine.

Why people want the fixture list tampered with so we can have extra games at Fir Park against Rangers or Celtic, I do not know. If you're so desperate to have bumper away crowds at games, then you'll be in for a treat next season. That's how they work.

"Commercially unfair". Jesus wept...

• Like 3

The last four seasons with no Rangers in the top flight have went swimmingly, and we've survived just fine.

Why people want the fixture list tampered with so we can have extra games at Fir Park against Rangers or Celtic, I do not know. If you're so desperate to have bumper away crowds at games, then you'll be in for a treat next season. That's how they work.

"Commercially unfair". Jesus wept...

I'd agree with that. Going by Burrows reaction though and ST pricing, there was an assumption that we'd return to pre newco traditions.

Don't think Rangers and Celtic should be used as cash cows for provincial teams, they should be treated as having equal footing as all the other teams. Fans can't complain about OF bias on one hand and then insist that their away supports be milked for our financial benefit.

To be as fair as possible the fixtures should be entirely random with no manipulation. We seem to have lost out to an extent but we should not be basing our finances on away fans.

As for the imbalance in fixtures, I think the current league set up is as good as we are going to get (although I'd change the play off system as we need more turnaround in clubs competing at the top level) so you just have to accept it's the cost of a system that I think has worked fairly well up till now in terms of keeping the league exciting over the season for most teams.

• Like 2

Don't think Rangers and Celtic should be used as cash cows for provincial teams, they should be treated as having equal footing as all the other teams. Fans can't complain about OF bias on one hand and then insist that their away supports be milked for our financial benefit.

To be as fair as possible the fixtures should be entirely random with no manipulation. We seem to have lost out to an extent but we should not be basing our finances on away fans.

As for the imbalance in fixtures, I think the current league set up is as good as we are going to get (although I'd change the play off system as we need more turnaround in clubs competing at the top level) so you just have to accept it's the cost of a system that I think has worked fairly well up till now in terms of keeping the league exciting over the season for most teams.

Burrows has said on Twitter that the problem is that they aren't random.

I'm sorry, but not having that from Alan Burrows. The fixtures, based on last season's fixures, should have been easy enough to predict. With Rangers effectively taking the place of Dundee Utd, he should have known at the very least it was possible we'd have Celtic and Rangers at home only once pre-split. In fact, it was probable.

Again, having the layout of the fixtures changed to suit Rangers and Celtic, or has Ya Beezer pointed out, changed to suit others milking their fans, is wrong.

• Like 2

Rangers/Celtic home games aside - the scheduling of us playing in Inverness & Dingwall midweek, along with a Christmas Eve game against Aberdeen is utter madness and makes no sense whatsoever.

How can the SPFL complain about dropping attendances, poor away support, etc and then dish out this utter nonsense. Baffles me, but not in the slightest surprised given the special calibre of clown we have running our game.

• Like 1

These fixtures could not have been any worse, rangers, celtic and aberdeen once at home is not great for financial reasons, also with the aberdeen game on christmas eve we will lose out again due to the time of year and i cant imagine many dons fans travelling down.

The main thing is, are Rangers and Celtic happy with the fixtures? That's all that matters.

On paper, nice easy first game for Rangers. At home too. No need for them to go to Pittodrie etc on the the first game and the first Old Firm game is ALWAYS at least 5/6 games in so they're settled in.

The tail wags the dug.