Will We Qualify For The Next Stage Of The League Cup

middleeastdave

I'd be surprised if any team didn't go through with 9 points.

I'd expect 8 points, possibly even 7 will do.

There's 2 or 3 groups where 3 teams are in contention, so they should cut each other's throats.

I think there's a couple of groups already where 2 teams can't both get 9+ points.

My app of choice for scores and results these days is Flashscores (which I'd fully recommend btw and for more than just fitba) I'm sure the info. will be available elsewhere but within their stats they have the eight second placed teams ranked.

We actually have a better record currently than the 7th and 8th placed teams, unfortunately there's just the small matter of the fact we're sitting third rather than second at the moment.

As has been said already the more games are played the clearer the picture will become and the cut-throat nature of some of the groups is already having an impact in limiting who can get nine points.

You look at Dunfermline, Inverness and Dundee Utd all battling away in Group C for example and there isn't much between Ayr, Accies and St Mirren in Group G.

Whilst we did get Rangers, in all honesty when you compare our hand of a Second Division, Third Division and a non-league team in comparison to those groups then we've been given a fair chance to get that second spot. A resounding win on Tuesday night and any win in 90 minutes next Saturday I would hope would be enough.

• Like 1

There are currently 25 teams that can potentially get 9 points or more. 12 of them will qualify. 8 as group leaders, 4 as runners up.

12 of the 25 also need to win their next game to be able to get or potentially get 9 points.

Tuesday fixtures for these teams

Peterhead v Dundee -----------would expect Dundee to win this meaning Peterhead couldn't get 9 points

Stirling v Elgin -------------------difficult to call Stirling better form and at home

Brechin v St. Johnstone--------would expect St. Johnstone to win this meaning Brechin couldn't get 9 points

Queens Park v Airdrieonians -----difficult to call Queens Park better form and at home

Motherwell v East Stirlingshire------would expect Motherwell to win this

Ayr Utd v Livingston---------------------difficult to call, Ayr Utd with home advantage

Albion Rovers v Clyde-----------------difficult to call, Albion Rovers with home advantage

Berwick Rangers v Kilmarnock-------would expect Kilmarnock to win

Edinburgh City v Hamilton--------------would expect Hamilton to win

Queen of the South and St. Mirren have no fixtures on Tuesday.

So I'd expect Peterhead and Brechin to be knocked out after midweek fixtures but that doesn't narrow it down much.

Look further ahead..

Group A - Would expect Dundee and East Fife to qualify on more than 9 points

Group B - If St. Johnstone beat Brechin and Stirling don't take full points at home to Elgin, the runner up in this group probably won't qualify. Even if Stirling do win they would have to also win at St. Johnstone.

Group C - Very difficult to call with three teams all in with a real shout and lots of variations possible.

Group D - Raith Rovers are looking good to win this one. Ross County have a potentially trick tie away to Alloa. If Alloa win 2nd place is likely to finish on 9. If Ross County win they are likely to finish on 10.

Group E - Queen of the South and Partick should both get 9 points plus.

Group F - Between us and Stranraer for 2nd and we can both get 9 points. Potentially Stranraer can win the group but would need a couple of spectacular results to do that. Likely comes down to last fixture between Stranraer v Motherwell with winner finishing 2nd on 9 points max.

Group G - St.Mirren should win this group (last fixture is at home to Edinburgh City). Ayr have to win away at Livingston to get 9. Livingston have to beat Ayr at Home and Hamilton away. Likely comes down to Hamilton at home to Livingston with Hamilton having to win to get 9 points.

Group H - Morton should beat Berwick at home to get 11 points and win the group. Likely Kilmarnock finish 2nd on 9 points.

Runners up from Group A and Group E look good to go through. Runners up from Group B probably not going to qualify.

The leaves 2 spots between C, D, F, G, H. If Ross County can win away to Alloa they will probably finish on 10 points meaning, there is one runner up position left between C, F, G, H.

C is very difficult to call. Likely Hamilton, Motherwell and Kilmarnock all finish on 9 points.

• Like 2

I would replace ‘could be’ with ’will be’ crucial. If we want to progress we will need to hit as many goals as the time allows, or we will be staring at yet another early elimination from the cup.

At least we will have had 3 more games in a cup than we normally get. Our defence and midfield are still cack so even if we score a few you can bet your mortgage we wont stop the opposition scoring in the next two games. The tournament is every bit as dull and boring as the mini league format in the 70s.

At least we will have had 3 more games in a cup than we normally get. Our defence and midfield are still cack so even if we score a few you can bet your mortgage we wont stop the opposition scoring in the next two games. The tournament is every bit as dull and boring as the mini league format in the 70s.

Positive stuff. Super!

All good stuff from ya beezer, but it's based on 2 rounds of games, with no upsets or draws as far as I can see.

If we win both our games, we'll go through.

But if we were to look for a messed up way to go out, win both our games, Stranraer beat Rangers, all 3 teams on 9 points, lose out on goal difference, while other teams go through on 8 points.

:lol: