Motherwell V East Stirlingshire 26/7/16

ChrisMFCfan1886

We may face several selection problems in midfield and attack. We don't know know the extent of MacDonald's and Blyth's injuries. Will Moult be risked again given his impending operation or procedure as its termed these days? Will Lucas be fit? Is McHugh banned? We may need to go with a 4-3-3 formation or with 2 wingers, with Cadden playing in the middle.

All that said we should be too strong for East Stirling in any event. We have to win and win by a good few goals.

We may face several selection problems in midfield and attack. We don't know know the extent of MacDonald's and Blyth's injuries. Will Moult be risked again given his impending operation or procedure as its termed these days? Will Lucas be fit? Is McHugh banned? We may need to go with a 4-3-3 formation or with 2 wingers, with Cadden playing in the middle.

All that said we should be too strong for East Stirling in any event. We have to win and win by a good few goals.

McGhee said post match Moult was getting op on Tuesday and won't be back until after international break so won't be playing on Tuesday

Anything less than 5 goals and a clean sheet for us on tuesday and id be quite disappointed actually, we should win this comfortably.

Maybe 5 goals is being ambitious but certainly we have to score as many as we can and not let up. I'd say a 3 goal margin would be the very minimum we should be looking for. We must leave nothing to chance.

Maybe 5 goals is being ambitious but certainly we have to score as many as we can and not let up. I'd say a 3 goal margin would be the very minimum we should be looking for. We must leave nothing to chance.

They have lost 3-1 to Stranraer, and 3-0 to Rangers thus far. So, I'd also suggest 5 is ambitious.

Glad we have it at home rather that on their pitch as their artificial surface looked shit on Friday night.

I wouldn't be so presumptious as to state the minimum number of goals we are going to win by but that said I do expect us win.

A positive of the group stages of the League Cup for me has been the opportunity to face sides we haven't played before or don't cross swords with very often so in that respect I'm looking forward to us playing East Stirlingshire as much as my trip to Annan yesterday. I recall playing them in 1980'81 or 1981'82 when we were in the First Division and whilst I don't mind the game at Fir Park for some reason I do remember watching us play them at Firs Park as a wean.

Who knows what we're facing though? What level are they at? Have they built a new team from scratch? How fit are they? I expect there will have been a scout watching their game against Stranraer (kill two birds) and there was an opportunity to catch them on TV on Friday night against Rangers of course. How much did they put into that given it was one of the Old Firm and the circus involved and because they were on TV?

All a wee bit of the unknown perhaps but I would fully expect we'll be strong enough to get the win without much of an issue.

A similar showing to our last encounter against non-league opposition in the Cups would be ideal really.

i just think goal difference may come into play for going through as one of the best second placed sides, so id say we should try and go for as many goals as we can on tuesday, maybe im underestimating the strength of east stirling but 3,4 or 5 would certainly help on the way to going through i reckon.

The fact it probably will come down to goal difference means the likes of Campbell, Thomas, Mackin and Ferguson will be unlikely to get a start on Tuesday which is a shame.

If we go full strength I think we'll score 5 plus just based on the sheer number of chances we've created in the first two games.

The fact it probably will come down to goal difference means the likes of Campbell, Thomas, Mackin and Ferguson will be unlikely to get a start on Tuesday which is a shame.

If we go full strength I think we'll score 5 plus just based on the sheer number of chances we've created in the first two games.

Given we will be missing McHugh, Moult and possibly one of Blyth/McDonald (possibly both) then full strength might be a couple of Mackin, Campbell or Thomas playing!

Is Lasley back? If McHugh is suspended I'd like to see Campbell get a chance and possibly Thomas in front of midfield with McDonald pushed a bit further up.

Lasley played on Saturday, so you'd think so.

I'd think it'll probably be something like;

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Thomas

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

There are a couple of options left side of the central midfield 3 Thomas is probably most experienced but you could also look at Turnbull who's a natural CM and was on the bench at the weekend or Campbell who's more defensively minded, Chalmers is also an option given he played there against The Rangers.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Thomas

Ainsworth McDonald Johnson

A reasonable line up Captain and probably what I'd opt for. Even although the opposition is East Stirling I think we could expect a few close things with that midfield but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest they'll cause us serious trouble. Given attendances elsewhere I expect an attendance in the 2,000 - 2,800 range.

Fair line-up Capt. You could even tweak it slightly to go 4-2-3-1 and have Ainsworth, Thomas and Johnson interchangeable behind McDonald.

If we are in position of being 3 or 4 goals up, it would be nice for guys like Campbell, Turnbell and Mackin to get 20-30 minutes.

If they park the bus, it's never easy to bang in the goals. If we score early though, our fitness levels should help during the last 30 minutes. (Although it was interesting to hear McGhee's thoughts on how these games interfere with pre-season fitness levels).

...it's never easy to bang in the goals.

Tonight is the best opportunity to increase our goal difference in our attempt to qualify for the next stage of the League Cup. Whilst teams can park the bus, I refuse to accept it as an excuse. As a professional football team we should be winning this in a canter.