Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Hearts Fri 30 Sep 19:45

Yabba's Turd

OK, but where do you play him given that Cadden plays "widish" right?

I thought it was telling that in his post-match interview yesterday McGhee alluded to still having to work out what was best to do with his front players whether it be play 3 or 2 of 3 and that we can't play the 3 every game. That seemed to be a tacit acknowledgment that it didn't work yesterday.

I'd imagine that a game against Hearts would be one of those where we'd go with 2 rather than 3. The question really is which of Moult or Bowman he'd start as I'd think it'd be McDonald +1.

I'm not saying I'd be 100% on board with it but you could fit Ainsworth in as an inverted winger on the left.

Ultimately I can't imagine we'll change that much but I thought Cadden offered something moved in one in the centre of the park yesterday and arguably he'd offer legs in the centre that we don't have with a pairing of Lasley and Clay. Whether he has the discipline to play centrally just now is a different question.

Of course in that scenario who plays left side rears its head again as from the sounds of things Chalmers is well off being ready to come back. So in that respect you're really perming from Thomas, McFadden or just sticking Clay wide left or as I say just settling and going with Ainsworth out there.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Clay Ainsworth

Moult McDonald

We struggled against Accies when they switched to five in the middle of the park and Thistle had our number on Saturday.

Cadden needs to be in the centre, other than that it's a difficult team selection. Our lack of anyone who can play on the left hand side of midfield is really hurting us. There's no chance we can play Bowman, Moult and McDonald.

I don't particularly fear Hearts even though they are in 3rd and the press are starting to talk them up a bit.

Last 2 games - drew with County and lost to St Johnstone.

3 wins this season have came against Inverness, Thistle and Accies. All bottom 6 currently.

They will play a standard 4-4-2. I would like to see an attacking line up and force them to change it first like Accies had to do.

Looking at Hearts away record thus far I was quite surprised to see they've scored 2 and conceded 2. I think them scudding ICT gave me the impression they were a bit more free scoring.

Drew 0-0 with Aberdeen, won 2-1 at Firhill and lost 1-0 at McDairmid though given the chances they squandered they could easily have won that (but didn't).

I've a bit of a fear about Walker and Nicholson going up against our full backs and I can see Watt fancying his chances against Heneghan.

Having said that McGhee's record vs Hearts at FP last season wasn't too bad; a 2-2 draw and a 1-0 win (albeit that was post-split).

I'm in Alcudia and see this games on TV. Anyone know of anywhere that'll show the game?

Plenty of options in the general nightlife area. However Everton v Crystal Palace is on the tv as well though so you might have to put up with it on in the background with no sound or something. Take a walk and ask around.

I thought it was telling that in his post-match interview yesterday McGhee alluded to still having to work out what was best to do with his front players whether it be play 3 or 2 of 3 and that we can't play the 3 every game. That seemed to be a tacit acknowledgment that it didn't work yesterday.

7 goals in two games suggests it does work, even if only 5 of them counted due to inept officiating. The biggest problem against Partick was application rather than personnel or team shape.

Would be disappointed if we did change it and Bowman might just be the chap to play against Levein's hammer throwers.

Hearts have lost or drawn 14 out of the last 20 away league matches so I'll be disappointed if we don't pick up a point at the very least.

We should be playing to the strengths of our squad, not Hearts.

I dont disagree with that. But is sacrificing the midfield playing to our strengths or ignoring our weaknesses? The centre of midfield has been an issue for us for some time now.

Had this down for a stick on defeat but Hearts recent "not terrible but not exactly tearing it up like many predicted" form and the general unpredictability of the league now has me wondering.

We'll have to be better than on Saturday though as we were laughably bad for about 70 minutes or whenever Faddy and Ainsworth came on and/or the formation/tactics were changed.

Still bracing myself for defeat though as we're still seeing the same unaddressed issues/problems within the team.

We should be playing to the strengths of our squad, not Hearts.

In the Accies game we started without a left mid which would give Paterson and Nicholson a free run at Hammell which isn't happening. In the Thistle game McDonald was terrible at left midfield so I doubt we will see that again.

It's worrying that we've signed 10 players this summer and Chalmers might be the best option if he's fit (and since McGhee doesn't seem bothered about who's fit and who's not these days he might even play if he's still injured).

It's worrying that we've signed 10 players this summer and Chalmers might be the best option if he's fit (and since McGhee doesn't seem bothered about who's fit and who's not these days he might even play if he's still injured).

Don't quite know where you are getting the 'unfit players being played' from.

Granted we don't have a direct left wing replacement for Johnson, but I do think we can play McFadden or Thomas in there to give width. If fit, I'd give Chalmers a role in a left defensive midfield position in front of Hammell.

Patterson will give most teams problems on their left side. He's a talented player.

Don't quite know where you are getting the 'unfit players being played' from.

Louis Moult needed an op but still played some cup games for reasons unknown. Moult hurt his hamstring last week but still stumbled about Firhill for over an hour on Saturday for some inexplicable reason .

Craig Clay was on the website saying he is still looking for full fitness 9 weeks after making his debut and walks around the park for a good 20 to 30 of every single second half.

Faddy looks at least a stone and half overweight.

McDonald and Hammell are both carrying too much weight but that's standard for them.

Faddy and Hammell have been plagued by injuries last season and were out most of pre-season, so they are not in peak condition.

McDonald has not looked fit for the last twelve months.

Moult was eager to play on Saturday and played for an hour. Did you really want him dropped after scoring four in the previous game?

It is worth noting that the first three players are all in the very last years of their careers and with the greatest will in the world, you can't expect them to be the physical specimens they were a decade ago.

I'll give you Clay, seems to be off the pace regardless of the run of games he's had.

Louis Moult needed an op but still played some cup games for reasons unknown. Moult hurt his hamstring last week but still stumbled about Firhill for over an hour on Saturday for some inexplicable reason .

Craig Clay was on the website saying he is still looking for full fitness 9 weeks after making his debut and walks around the park for a good 20 to 30 of every single second half.

Faddy looks at least a stone and half overweight.

McDonald and Hammell are both carrying too much weight but that's standard for them.

Just in case your not sure about Moult, hesis a goal scorer. He wasn't fit when he scored 4, so not an unreasonable risk to play him again, even unfit.

Chalmers stepping up is a good thing. As injured players return, were going to have strength on the bench too.