' Project Brave ' Mfc Podcast With Alan Burrows

AndyRoss

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2016-17-episode-21/

The latest episode of the MFC Podcast was recorded with the aim of discussing the implications of 'Project Brave' on the football club.

Alan talks with great passion on a range of issues surrounding the initiative during the 85 minutes of the podcast.

Hopefully this will help inform 'Well fans of the potential dangers to MFC if the project goes ahead, we also manage to get some information on potential transfer activity during the window and an insight on preparation for the weekend's Scottish Cup tie.

• Like 4

Really enjoyed that. As Sparra says, Alan's enthusiasm for the club is infectious and it's evident how strongly he feels about this ridiculous Project Brave.

I would urge everyone to have a listen as if this comes to pass it will be a major threat to the business plan and model of the club.

• Like 3

This is the first time I've sat through a complete Podcast and I found it very interesting. Sometimes though I found the sound quality a bit difficult and maybe 1 hour 30 minutes is a tad long? However see my comment at the end to put this in perspective.

As for the content I'd make 2 points. I think it was Jay who brought up the subject of local authority playing fields in Blantyre. Its a sad fact of life that for most Councils leisure and recreation & sport come bottom of the pile due to financial constraints. They simply aren't on the radar. National land use planning policy too hasn't helped matters much. Politicians of all shades really have to take responsibility here. In short I don't see change any time soon.

Secondly Project Brave. I wholeheartedly agree with what was said by the contributors. I'm still unclear what the SFA's objectives actually are. I assume from the roughed up proposals that we've heard that its to boost the performance of the national team and enhance the level of our top clubs in Europe? Thats how it appears to me. However it simply won't work if youngsters at the top clubs aren't given game time. The proposals certainly won't help the quality of our game as a whole. My plea to the SFA - lets not forget clubs in the Championship and lower leagues. A lot of the young lads from the academies might not make the top grade but they are helping to enhance smaller clubs. I 100% agree that the academy system needs overhauled but these proposals won't do that. A fundamental and perhaps fatal flaw was to hand over responsibility to a committee comprised of clubs which were involved in the academy system. That renders the project unsafe in my view and tainted by vested interests. Instead it should have been conducted by a totally independent body or committee.

Finally well done to the lads for organising and setting up these podcasts. It gives us an insight into the club that we wouldn't have otherwise and the lads are giving up their time. Despite what many think time, not money, is most the important thing anyone can contribute.

• Like 1

Very good listen and Motherwell appear to be in the best position we've been for some time.

So disillusioned with the SFA, I haven't paid too much attention with to the remit and implications of Project Brave. Without knowing the detail of academy football, I'm baffled as to why we are focusing on 11-17 year olds (when the young national teams have performed ok) as opposed to managing the transition of our top Scottish players from 18-22.

• Like 1

Presumably the 8 "Elite" academies would have some signing restrictions placed upon them? By that I mean they'd be allowed to sign up say 20 15 year olds, 20 16 years olds and so on. If there was no restriction they could hoover up an unlimited number of promising youngsters, with most of them having no hope of progressing or of getting decent game time. I heard Alan Burrows go on at length about this project at the shareholder's AGM and was impressed. Whatever is eventually proposed I have no doubt whatsoever that he and Jim McMahon will vigorously fight our corner by any means necessary.

Much has been made of our position but I can't see the likes of Partick, Dundee, Dundee United and Kilmarnock taking this lying down.

Much has been made of our position but I can't see the likes of Partick, Dundee, Dundee United and Kilmarnock taking this lying down.

Thistle seem pretty relaxed about it.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/15027292.Ian_Maxwell_says___39_Project_Brave__39__holds_no_fears_for_Partick_Thistle/

I wonder if we had wind of this prior to finalising the move to fan ownership.

The point I find quite interesting was made by Busta re revenue from players such as Marvin. Our youth policy hasn't exactly made us loads of cash and in fact Flow stated Marvin was the most lucrative transfer for many years.

That said I still think it a farce we aren't considered an"elite" club given numerous reasons provided and also the fact we have remained in top flight since early 80s.

Overall I thing project Brave will be yet another system that falls away quite quickly so it doesn't worry me too much.

In relation to the podcast a great listen especially re the transfer window, well done guys

• Like 2

Thistle seem pretty relaxed about it.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/15027292.Ian_Maxwell_says___39_Project_Brave__39__holds_no_fears_for_Partick_Thistle/

I wonder if we had wind of this prior to finalising the move to fan ownership.

Maybe not Partick, who seem very laid back at the proposals but according to Mr Maxwell there are other clubs uneasy at the proposals. Maybe its the way that the Evening Times wrote the story but Partick's approach seems a bit odd and certainly very relaxed. There seems little point to me in training youngsters who are mediocre or reasonable and giving them longer contracts, which is what they seem to be aiming for. If they want to attract and develop the best prospects they'll have to up their game. To attract the best youngsters you would have to be in the top section of academies. Odd too that the Weirs invested heavily in Partick's youth system if thats the case. Trying to make sense of Partick's model it would seem that they are developing a youth system but it'll take them a few years to catch up and so there's no concern currently at Project Brave. Head in the sand?

If the best prospects go to Project Brave teams there will still be plenty of others to go to the other teams. My big problem is that some teams will have a commercial advantage by receiving more funding, potentially receiving more transfer fees and having to spend less to bring players in. Over time this could affect relegation and promotion issues.

If the best prospects go to Project Brave teams there will still be plenty of others to go to the other teams. My big problem is that some teams will have a commercial advantage by receiving more funding, potentially receiving more transfer fees and having to spend less to bring players in. Over time this could affect relegation and promotion issues.

Thats it in a nutshell...the 'elite 8' :lol: (you've got to laugh at a group where Accies are regarded as Elite) will get more funding from the SFA than we get, they will also be able to attract the better prospects locally.

I honestly can't believe that this is being seriously considered as being a fair way to move forward

• Like 3

it shows just how fucked up this idea and scottish football is in general if the likes of accies and ross county will be classed in any way elite.accies have produced 2 players in the puff and all ross county seem too have done since getting into the spl is sign foreign duds that they pay off 6 months later.

I can't get my head around this "Project Brave".

After googling stuff about it one of the best things I saw said about it was from a Gordon Waddell article in the Record ( I don't catch these things at the time cos I dislike reading the papers these days). Waddle said "Which loses sight of the fact that what we're trying to create are elite players and NOT elite clubs".

Not even taking a selfish point of view on this there is talk Dundee Utd would be one of the clubs missing out. Going by the last 30 years they are the 5th or 6th biggest team in the country surely? Cup wins, recent player production, they even won the league at one point (Alright it was 35 years ago).

I can't understand the thought behind leaving any club out.

• Like 2

There's an article from Stewart Fisher in the Herald today with the headline 'Focus turns to numbers as Project Brave kick-off nears'.

Quite an interesting read and it states Herald understand the idea of 8 elite clubs is doomed and the final number could be '10, 12 or even greater'.

It goes on to say that if the performance measures were worked over last season the 10 academies would be; Celtic, Rangers, hearts, Aberdeen, Killie, Hibs, Hamilton, forth valley, Fife elite and st Mirren.

Apparently the final draft of the strategy was approved by the professional game board on Tuesday and now goes before the SFA main board before a bid document is sent to clubs.

Interesting on the potential increase in numbers and how this might effect us getting in or otherwise.

St Mirren :lol:

Quite an interesting read and it states Herald understand the idea of 8 elite clubs is doomed and the final number could be '10, 12 or even greater'.

Can't say i'm surprised by this as the only justification for limiting it to 8 academies seems to be that 'Elite Eight' sounds good when people say it.

Devil will be in the detail. For me the main questions are (and only due to lack of publicly available knowledge):

Is it max of 16 and all on a level playing field? Or is it an elite 8 and a second grouping of a 'less-elite' 8?

Is that 16 set in stone. Can clubs outside of the 16 aspire to be included or is it a closed shop until someone decides to drop out of their own accord?

What is the qualifying criteria to get in to this group of 16? For example, like Alan seemed to refer to...Will we have less 'points' as we known less young players out but, arguably, have more youth products playing first team football this season compared to others

Devil will be in the detail. For me the main questions are (and only due to lack of publicly available knowledge):

Is it max of 16 and all on a level playing field? Or is it an elite 8 and a second grouping of a 'less-elite' 8?

Is that 16 set in stone. Can clubs outside of the 16 aspire to be included or is it a closed shop until someone decides to drop out of their own accord?

What is the qualifying criteria to get in to this group of 16? For example, like Alan seemed to refer to...Will we have less 'points' as we known less young players out but, arguably, have more youth products playing first team football this season compared to others

I thought that myself. However reading the quotes attributed to Regan today are as follows:

"One of the recommendations from the working group was to have no more than 16 academies in Scotland defined as elite. Any club can put a bid in, and they will be independently audited against a defined set of criteria. If they are successful, they will be included in Scotland's list of elite academies."

From the sound of it that means that as long as the criteria is met then the academy will be defined as having "elite" status.

As you say, the devil is in the detail and it very much depends on how those "elite" academies are treated within their own group.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38735136?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sportsound&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=scotland