Scottish Premiership Motherwell V St Johnstone Sat 18 Mar 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Hopefully we will see our new manager this week and get that new manager bounce that some teams get when they get someone new in. We have Moult back for this one which is crucial as well, I feel we need to win this going into the international break, we go to ibrox after that so 3 points here would be a welcome boost.

Anyway looks like it will be 3 points or none.

If I get to choose, I'll choose 3 please.

I suspect it will be a hard fought, slightly uninspiring match, but I'll settle for that if we edge a win.

(Looking at our last 10 league matches, we won one of them 2 - 0, and the other 9 have either been draws or a 1 goal margin for the winners. And neither team has managed to score more than twice).

Could actually go 352 with a back 3 of Ferguson, McHugh and Jules which could work as long as we have the right personnel ahead of them in midfield.

3-5-2 is Motherwell speak for a 5-3-2 or a 5-3-1-1 formation Del. :spiteful:

At this stage its almost impossible to call the outcome. We don't know who'll be in charge; it'll be a weaker defence yet with Heneghan missing out; Moulty will be returning; and who knows about injuries.

One thing is for sure it won't be a classic. Whatever, I'd like to see either Frear or Pearson starting wide left as that would take the pressure off our sole outball (Cadden). I think young Campbell deserves some game time either from the start or from the bench as we badly need some energy and bite in midfield.

• Like 2

At this stage its almost impossible to call the outcome.

Nonsense Dave! Everybody knows you'll be casting admiring glances down at Tommy Wright and looking on lovingly as your midfield dream-teamers Paul Paton and Murray Davidson kick, scratch and bite their way through another slow weak Motherwell midfield for ninety minutes :spiteful::)

I jest of course, well mostly. As you've rightly pointed out it is difficult to call with the uncertainties over who will be in charge and available for selection but what I don't think will be lost on the team, whoever is involved, is the importance of the fixture. That alone should be the incentive to take the game to a St Johnstone team who are fast veering towards "nothing to play for" territory. If a similar attitude, endeavour and desire is there that has been shown in the past couple of fixtures I'm confident of a win.

Nonsense Dave! Everybody knows you'll be casting admiring glances down at Tommy Wright and looking on lovingly as your midfield dream-teamers Paul Paton and Murray Davidson kick, scratch and bite their way through another slow weak Motherwell midfield for ninety minutes :spiteful::)

I jest of course, well mostly. As you've rightly pointed out it is difficult to call with the uncertainties over who will be in charge and available for selection but what I don't think will be lost on the team, whoever is involved, is the importance of the fixture. That alone should be the incentive to take the game to a St Johnstone team who are fast veering towards "nothing to play for" territory. If a similar attitude, endeavour and desire is there that has been shown in the past couple of fixtures I'm confident of a win.

We should be up for it Andy given the importance of the fixture. One thing in our favour is that Tom (yes, Tom to some who know a bit about him) Wright won't have much of an idea what to expect from us.

Well, the well-meaning folks in charge have made their managerial choice. It's now time for the manager to begin earning his corn.

This game and our remaining two home games pre-split (Acas and ICT, both currently below us) are must win games if we are to retain our top league status, because after the split, it's extremely likely we will have to play both of them away from home.

I don't usually buy into the "must win" scenario. At least not until the arithmetic starts to show otherwise. However, with ten games to go, we need to realise that points won now are undoubtedly going to make the fixtures after the split a lot more comfortable. We don't "need" to win this game, but it would be a great result if we could pick up more points than the teams around us. The same goes for every match up until the split when we can then see where we are placed. The home games against access and ICT are genuine "six pointers", "cup ties" and any other cliches you'd care to mention.

I don't usually buy into the "musIt win" scenario. At least not until the arithmetic starts to show otherwise. However, with ten games to go, we need to realise that points won now are undoubtedly going to make the fixtures after the split a lot more comfortable. We don't "need" to win this game, but it would be a great result if we could pick up more points than the teams around us. The same goes for every match up until the split when we can then see where we are placed. The home games against access and ICT are genuine "six pointers", "cup ties" and any other cliches you'd care to mention.

I think for the teams morale and for the fans to get behind Robbo it is a don't loose game. Given the way the appointment has polarised the support it would be great to get of to a winning result. However a draw would not be a bad result.

I think for the teams morale and for the fans to get behind Robbo it is a don't loose game. Given the way the appointment has polarised the support it would be great to get of to a winning result. However a draw would not be a bad result.

I would agree with that.

I can't see any appointment being made these days that doesn't polarise support as 50% of them are idiots*

I'd prefer a good performance, but it's all about points over the next few weeks, so if that means grinding out a win, that's fine.

*that's the 50% that don't agree with me, obviously

It will not be the best start for Robinson with possibly no central defence, it will be interesting to see who will in there if there is no Jules/Heneghan, as I just don't think McGuire is ready for first team, but probably no choice in the matter!!

I also think we need to see Pearson and Cadden start to come into some kind of form, as both of them have not done anything in the last month or so

• Like 2

I also think we need to see Pearson and Cadden start to come into some kind of form, as both of them have not done anything in the last month or so

That could well be down to the formation that we've played. I'd like to see Pearo or Frear start wide left and stay there. Pearo often plays in a deep left central berth and that leaves the left back exposed. If Frear plays he has to be given the ball. Cadden's game will improve if he's given more support and we play with more than one outball ie him. Too often this season Cadden has broken out of defence only to receive no support when he's closed down by 2 or 3 players. If we have an outball on the left hand side that creates more space for not only Cadden but the 2 strikers.

That could well be down to the formation that we've played. I'd like to see Pearo or Frear start wide left and stay there. Pearo often plays in a deep left central berth and that leaves the left back exposed. If Frear plays he has to be given the ball. Cadden's game will improve if he's given more support and we play with more than one outball ie him. Too often this season Cadden has broken out of defence only to receive no support when he's closed down by 2 or 3 players. If we have an outball on the left hand side that creates more space for not only Cadden but the 2 strikers.

Would fully agree with this. Cadden has struggled a bit because he's the only guy with pace in the team. If teams get tight on him, there's nowhere else to go. Frear may be a bit raw, but pace can go a long way to masking that. Anything that opens the game up a bit further forward has to be a benefit to us.