Run In To The Split - Projections

Goggles & Flippers

Did this a few years ago and its seems apt. If we do go for Robinson to get us over the line until the summer or we go for a manager for the future it's imperative that we retain SPFL status for major financial implications this summer. 5 games left to play, top 6 would be a relief. My guesses are in red. I don't think we'll do it but should be safe post split.

Current League Table (28 games)
Partick 33
--------------------
Kilmarnock 31
Dundee 30
Ross County 28
Motherwell 27
Accies 24
ICT 23

Partick Thistle (total 5):

Kilmarnock v Partick Thistle - 1 point

Partick Thistle v Ross County - 3 points

Celtic v Partick Thistle - 0 points

Partick Thistle v Motherwell - 1 point

Rangers v Partick Thistle - 0 points

Killie (total 1):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Kilmarnock - 0 points

Kilmarnock v Rangers - 0 points

Celtic v Kilmarnock - 0 points

Kilmarnock v Heart of Midlothian - 0 points

Dundee (total 6):

Dundee v Celtic - 0 points

Dundee v Aberdeen - 0 points

Ross County v Dundee - 3 points

Heart of Midlothian v Dundee - 0 points

Dundee v Hamilton Academical - 3 points

Ross County (total 1):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Ross County - 1 point

Partick Thistle v Ross County - 0 points

Ross County v Dundee - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v Ross County - 0 points

Ross County v Celtic - 0 points

Us (total 8 :ph34r:):

Motherwell v St Johnstone - 1 point

Rangers v Motherwell - 0 points

Motherwell v Hamilton Academical - 3 points

Motherwell v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 3 points

Accies (total 4):

Rangers v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v St Johnstone - 1 points

Motherwell v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v Ross County - 3 points

Dundee v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

ICT (total 4):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Ross County - 1 points

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Kilmarnock - 3 points

Aberdeen v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 0 points

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v St Johnstone - 0 points

Motherwell v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 0 points

Table at Split (wishful thinking)

Partick 38

----------------------

Dundee 36

Motherwell 35

Killie 32

Ross County 29

Accies 28

ICT 27

Having games against Partick, ict, and accies pre-split, with the latter two at home gives us a great chance to ensure our own safety early. Is there a break in between these fixtures?

Dundee have the worst of the fixtures, and I think Partick will sneak 6th, although a win for us this week could make it interesting. Getting at least a point though would take the pressure off a little for the trip to ibrox, where a result isn't totally out of the question.

For us it is, playoffs apart, it seems we're back to normal service against NewCo as it was since 2001 or whatever when the woeful record started.

A break? Don't know if you mean between the regular season and post split or the fixtures I listed (if its the latter most of the games for the majority of clubs are weekend's with one midweek fixture on the 4th/5th of April)

There's a week off between the st j and rangers games, that's what I was thinking of, followed by 3 games in a week. If nothing else, if we can negotiate the st Johnstone game, we have a couple of weeks to get injuries sorted and get acquainted to the new manager.

The three games in the space of a week against Thistle, Accies and Inverness are huge. Wins against the latter two should see us going into the split with a bit of a cushion, especially if we get get some points out of the St J and Partick games.

I think Partick will get the top 6 spot quite comfortably but after that it's anyone's guess. Ross County are on a bad run at the minute, and Killie and Dundee probably have the hardest run ins.

Out the bottom seven teams.... we have the lowest point return against the top 5............taken a measly One point

The next two games are vital that we get something from

Most of our rivals have managed to beat either the sheep or currant buns .....these "bonus points" have either kept them in touch or above us .

Except Killie and Partick.....who have managed to beat st John or Hertz

Partick have only lost one game against the bottom 7 opposition ........us

Some body puts 2/3 results together pre split could see them safe

Let's get some points on the board..........feck the play offs

Is like to think we could take 7/8 points from the next 5 games but I can't see us taking any more than 4 points, possibly less, and if that comes to pass then we're fucked.

I think we'll lose, albeit probably narrowly, on Saturday and then get horsed at Ibrox.

We'll then win one, lose one and draw one in the Thistle, Accies and Inverness games although I'm not sure in what order.

I have seen us relegated a couple of times, and seen us avoid it a few times due to league reconstruction, stadium rules etc.

Any season where we don't get relegated is a good one. Might not be a great one, but definitely a good one.

I have seen us relegated a couple of times, and seen us avoid it a few times due to league reconstruction, stadium rules etc.

Any season where we don't get relegated is a good one. Might not be a great one, but definitely a good one.

I know where you are coming from, but no. We have been in the top league for 30+ years now. Its the accepted norm. In those 30 years yes we have had a few seasons dicing with going down, but not overwhelmingly every season, and if you look more recently, we are more likely to be fighting for the top 3 positions, at least over the last 10 years.
Yes, for older punters who have lived through relegations, not going down is good, but the reality is that that is now history, times have moved on. We now have multiple generations who have never seen it, and it certainly is not the norm for Motherwell to be relegated. For these fans, avoiding relegation should not be seen and will not be seen as a good season. Infact, avoiding it by the skin of our teeth is a bad season.

I agree it's not every season, but if you look a post I made a few weeks ago that lists our position every season since the SPL was created, the position we have finished most often is 8th.

The recent run of success has been great, but it's not typical, and even the Board said it led to unrealistic expectations when it came to budgets.

The recent run of success also occurred at the same time as Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United all struggling. Next season at least 3 of those 4 will all be back in the top league and those 3 will all have bigger budgets to play with than us. Add in Celtic and Aberdeen, then you could argue a realistically good season is 6th. Below that we are in a relegation scrap.

Partick are safe already in my opinion. I tipped them for Top 6 at the beginning of the season. I think they have probably the best squad in the 'pack', Alan Archibald has done a tremendous job as manager there and their defensive record is highly impressive. In fact if the points had been wiped out at New Year Partick would be third in the league in 2017.

Weirdly Kilmarnock have shown enough this season, despite all the huge player turnover, back room turmoil, and managerial changes to stay up. They tend to pull out a win here or there when not expected. I think they will be OK.

Dundee have probably the toughest run up to the split and if I was a Dee I'd be a little nervous. We all saw them demolish us but by all accounts they haven't been playing well and St. Johnstone turned them over pretty easy last week. I think they might be sweating a bit going into the break as I can't see them picking up too many points in the run in.

Ross County have been poor this season and they have lost 7 out of the last 10. The weekends match against Inverness will be huge for them. Lose and they could be in really big trouble.

Accies will be in the bottom two. They have done very well to stay in the league the past couple of seasons but I think there time is just about up. Not won away from home all season.

Despite being bottom Inverness have been in pretty decent form, they have only lost 1 of their last 6 matches. As I said above the Ross County match is going to be huge for both clubs. If they can win it I think they have a decent chance of getting out of the relegation places.

I think Killie have the harder run in than Dundee and thats why I gave them a point.

OF and Hearts, away to the furthest geographically and as you point out, one of the best performers since the turn of the year this Saturday.

Safe to say teams like that have made hay while the sun shined in terms of fixtures before now, we have an easier run in because we played more of the tougher teams, we now have to capitalise on points from those in and around us.

Partick and Dundee will be fine

Killie can be pulled right into it, while ourselves and Ross County, are teetering on giving a horribly poor Accies team and an ICT team managed by Richie Foran a life line.

For me, Accies and ICT are clearly the two worst in the league, and we should gain enough points to finish at least 10th

Partick and Dundee will be fine

Killie can be pulled right into it, while ourselves and Ross County, are teetering on giving a horribly poor Accies team and an ICT team managed by Richie Foran a life line.

For me, Accies and ICT are clearly the two worst in the league, and we should gain enough points to finish at least 10th

Frankly Ive seen us play every bit as poorly as Accies and ICT, Ive seen about 4 hours of decent Football all season. I dont think its quite so clear cut that Accies and ICT are clearly the two worst teams.

Ironically, one of Accies' advantages is their appalling plastic surface while our billiard table pitch allows good teams to play well against us.

Of course, it should be to our advantage too if we start stringing a few passes together.

• Like 1

Did this a few years ago and its seems apt. If we do go for Robinson to get us over the line until the summer or we go for a manager for the future it's imperative that we retain SPFL status for major financial implications this summer. 5 games left to play, top 6 would be a relief. My guesses are in red. I don't think we'll do it but should be safe post split.

Current League Table (28 games)
Partick 33
--------------------
Kilmarnock 31
Dundee 30
Ross County 28
Motherwell 27
Accies 24
ICT 23

Partick Thistle (total 5):

Partick Thistle v Ross County - 3 points

Celtic v Partick Thistle - 0 points

Rangers v Partick Thistle - 0 points

Killie (total 1):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Kilmarnock - 0 points

Kilmarnock v Rangers - 0 points

Celtic v Kilmarnock - 0 points

Kilmarnock v Heart of Midlothian - 0 points

Dundee (total 6):

Dundee v Celtic - 0 points

Dundee v Aberdeen - 0 points

Ross County v Dundee - 3 points

Heart of Midlothian v Dundee - 0 points

Dundee v Hamilton Academical - 3 points

Ross County (total 1):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Ross County - 1 point

Partick Thistle v Ross County - 0 points

Ross County v Dundee - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v Ross County - 0 points

Ross County v Celtic - 0 points

Us (total 8 :ph34r:):

Motherwell v St Johnstone - 1 point

Rangers v Motherwell - 0 points

Motherwell v Hamilton Academical - 3 points

Motherwell v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 3 points

Accies (total 4):

Rangers v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v St Johnstone - 1 points

Motherwell v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

Hamilton Academical v Ross County - 3 points

Dundee v Hamilton Academical - 0 points

ICT (total 4):

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Ross County - 1 points

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Kilmarnock - 3 points

Aberdeen v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 0 points

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v St Johnstone - 0 points

Motherwell v Inverness Caledonian Thistle - 0 points

Table at Split (wishful thinking)

Partick 38

----------------------

Dundee 36

Motherwell 35

Killie 32

Ross County 29

Accies 28

ICT 27

Just about right all round except our duds. We are the ones who will put ourselves down