Motherwell Vs St Mirren Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lack a spark in midfield. If you nip the supply in the bud with us then you're absolutely laughing.

We have absolutely no creativity in the middle. Jennings and Lasley are maybe our best two players but all they do is enforce and play the ball sideways. And whilst Gow never performed with us having him in front of those two at least had a potential plan B. But now we have hee haw there and are focusing everything on the wing.

Defensively - on the whole we are fine.

Fair enough analysis.

I've been wondering how many extra points we would have picked up this season if we'd conceeded exactly the same goals but scored once in every match - I bet we would be clear in 4th if we had. Our failings are creative, not defensive.

It's true to say everything goes down the wings but it would be truer to say everything goes down the left wing. Hammell is the only player we have that has anything like a good delivery. Humphrey is useless because of his final ball. A winger that can't cross is worthless.

Then in midfield we have Lasley, Jennings, Hateley none of which are really a goal threat. I think they have bagged 2 each in the last two seasons.

We need a creative player but where do you find one for the wages we can pay?

A shocking display tonight devoid of any passion or aggression. Changes should have been made at half time but weren't and substitutions were a bit baffling to say the least. The big problem was midfield which was awful - lacked determination and pace. I agree with many other views on here. As far as I counted we didn't have one solitary effort on target.

Just to provide a counterbalance - I've seen far worse in the past and I'll be back. No intention of giving up.

+1 Season book will be renewed, and i will turn up in August full of hope as usual, the past few seasons have been great as regular european participants, so why not another campaign in 2011/12. Mon the Well

Huge letdown last night.

OK they got away with murder and we should have had at least one pen. But they looked far more dangerous in the final third than we did.

Again the concerns were raised before we even got out the motor to head to the game. McCall pre-match explaining the side. We apparently changed our winning side to compensate for their expected 3 central defenders. So we'll go for a bit of width. Eh, so even wi three in the centre will they no play full backs / just nullify yer width by stickin a thug on yer winger.

I thought we were at home? Could we not try and impose our game on them?

The lack of cutting edge up front is a problem and Jeffers is beginning to look bemused at how far apart his partners in crime are from him in general play. he's got a good head on his shoulders and his wee lay offs etc are being wasted by no-one being near him or dare i say it on the same wavelength.

I love Murphy - but his run of powderpuff shots on goal needs to be ended by him putting his laces through one soon. Surely?

Like I've said before - we're in limp home mode - we'll float home til the end of the season and we might make the top six we might not. We're up and doon like the proverbial and the squad is too thin to do anything about that. We'll have the odd win here and there - but it will be largely dire like last night.

The catch 22 is - we may not have funds / support to have done any better than we did in the transfer window, however we've barely got a depth in quality in our squad to justify being called a full time football club.

We need to address that in the summer. However the inconsistency is not putting bums on seats and the continual turmoil inside the club and in the bigger picture of scottish football - only suggests more of the same type of fare as we had moving forward.

Season Ticket Renewal anybody.

And whilst Gow never performed with us having him in front of those two at least had a potential plan B. But now we have hee haw there and are focusing everything on the wing.

Awaiting the pelters for mentioning two antichrists in one sentence. However - Jeffers might have been the player Gow needed and Gow might have been the player that Jeffers needs.

If we are not willing to match the workrate of the opposition we will be in trouble as last night proved. From the first whistle St Mirren closed us down yet when they had the ball they had time to pick a pass. They could bring the ball out of defence and find a player yet look at the amount of times Craigan had to give the ball back to Randolph because there was no pass available (not Craigans fault).

What concerns me is why we turned in this type of performance after 2 wins in a row. If we start thinking we are a good team without rolling up our sleeves and battling we have no chance.

I actually thought we played quite well in patches last night!! First thirty minutes we were by far the better side, the rest of the game was a bit more even.

The were a bit hungrier than we were and weren't afraid to shoot on site, that was the only differences between the teams.

Not a disaster the way it is being made out by some.

A couple of points to note:-

1. The football we're playing isnae much different from when Broon was here, we just didn't get the breaks last night

2. Re Hammell and Gunning - McCall is being criticised for wanting players to play in more than one position ... something than Gannon was lauded for trying. What's the difference?

3. Sutton is pish. How anyone thinks he deserves a new contract is beyond me.

Overall - take a step back for a minute - 5th in the league, in the quarters of th cup, and were bloody unlucky in the semi against the Vile. Is this isn't making you satisfied with the season then what will?

my main gripe, gunning and hammell at right back? what the fuck was that about

That was my main problem, why couldnt Hateley be moved back and put gunning in midfield?

St Mirren deserved the win, they were all over us after 25-30 mins

Does anyone know why the police kicked that boy out of the east stand? i know the stewards came round to complaing about something(surprise) then the policy came and kicked one wee guy out

Well surprise surfuckingprise.

An absolutely embarrassing result to lose to that shite and the players should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Fuck trudging along to watch this shite anymore. I'm done with it.

You sound like a prime candidate for Parkhead and Ibrox , enjoy the bus journeys

That was my main problem, why couldnt Hateley be moved back and put gunning in midfield?

Or bring forbes on as a direct replacement for lasley?

When hammell was at right back everyone was screaming for him to take it down the wing but he had to cut in everytime cause he doesnt have a right foot.

Re Muzz comment: the difference is you cannot play left backs at right back - we would just get caught out all the time.

The thing that most irritated me last night was that, like the Kilmarnock game, we had a lot of possession but I suspect that the opposition keeper had clean gloves as he went off the park. An easier win bonus Paul Gallagher will not get.

We need to stop trying to walk the ball into the net. St Mirren had a lot of bodies behind the ball. Lasley and Jennings are going to have to start blootering the ball from distance and tell our forwards to stand next to their centre backs and hope that if/when the shot comes off one of them, be ready to react to the second ball. Poor tactics? Possibly but without any other way of breaking down teams who come and put 9 bodies behind the ball, it's worth a go.

Perversely we'll get more chances on Sunday as Celtic won't come to sit in. Not saying we'll take them...

This is a much much worse result than the 6-0 at Ibrox. If the (largely shite) players obviously can't be arsed when why should I/we?

This Sundays entirely inconvenient kick off had me shuffling all my plans around at the last minute in order to make the game. Fuck that, what is the point? We now have baffling formation line ups to add into the extemely questionable capabilities and effort topped off by watching it played on a pitch resembling congealed porridge!

This will be the first Celtic game at Fir Park I've missed since before we won the cup! That is how utterly scunnered I have become with the pish we have been subjected to.

5, 6, 7-0 on Sunday quite easily.

The thing that most irritated me last night was that, like the Kilmarnock game, we had a lot of possession but I suspect that the opposition keeper had clean gloves as he went off the park. An easier win bonus Paul Gallagher will not get.

We need to stop trying to walk the ball into the net. St Mirren had a lot of bodies behind the ball. Lasley and Jennings are going to have to start blootering the ball from distance and tell our forwards to stand next to their centre backs and hope that if/when the shot comes off one of them, be ready to react to the second ball. Poor tactics? Possibly but without any other way of breaking down teams who come and put 9 bodies behind the ball, it's worth a go.

Perversely we'll get more chances on Sunday as Celtic won't come to sit in. Not saying we'll take them...

Thing i notice is when things are not going right this is what always happens:

Radolph throws to right back/left back who passes to Craggs, who looks up and launches a shite pass at Sutton, Sutton backs his ass into the defender and either gets taken to the ground to give them a free kick or he wins the header. If he wins the header Jeffers or Murphy will collect then try to throw it in the box again for Sutton to header, hit the first man then we lose possession.

Of course it doesn't always go like that i mean. Craigan making contact with a pass? but it usully ends up being that

If one of those shots had gone through the cluster of players encamped in front of their goal we wouldn't have such discussions. Shit happens, they got lucky taking 3 points home instead of 1, they're still utter shite although they're a happy bunch today but would you rather have their season end to look forward to or ours?

When Lasley came off McCall had Forbes, Meechan as straightforward midfield replacements and in Page and Hammell had two players that could probably go in and do a midfield job. Nobody changes position.

The tinkering that went on after that was pretty abyssmal.

Gunning looked injured, burnt oot or ill and he kept him on the park (dunno if he took a dunt at the far end of the pitch)

McCall is blasting the players - fair doos.

Someone should have a word wi the we man too

Ok another loss at home to a Bottom dweller,

Firstly i wont be highlighting individuals for the defeat, the whole team entered the pitch as a team and left as one be it (a defeated one).

His team selection was pretty much set up to win the game, Forbes was dropped for reasons only known to the gaffer, and to tell you the truth Forbes playing would not of made any difference.

As a team we are not scoring goals, Sutton and Jeffers are not going to get many goals, our midfield dont score goals.... Are defenders less (Page) dont score goals.

The sooner we realise that the goals are the issue the better, Yes even i expected some form of goal rush from the team last night even predicting 4 nil wins (Miles off).

But i am a supporter of Motherwell and i wont give up on them, we need to show some form of support to them be it only on here....as attendances will surley begin to drop off as we all know we are becoming very expensive to watch and playing like this wont do us any favours.

Ok where do we go from here, i reckon the players will be gutted after last nights game especially after six points in two games, Yes the Old firm on Sunday, how would we feel if we take something off the old firm, this is the chance they need to produce something of a miracle and actually get something from the game.

Lets get off there backs, and put it down to just another one of those nights we suffer all to regularly... ITS FOOTBALL.

Beat Celtic and they will be heros.... Lets supports the Heros theory, Come on McCall, dig deep.

And for the record i reckon Humphrey done ok...at least that point will give the No believers a chance to tell me how pants he is...currently he is sitting third (ish) in the Man of the Match poll so i am not alone in my support of the Humph meister.

I sincerely hope the first thing on the agenda at training is crossing practice, because i lost count of the times we got into decent positions out wide and hit the first defender with the ball.These guys get payed to play football yet passing and crossing(schoolboy stuff)seems to be beyond them.

I sincerely hope the first thing on the agenda at training is crossing practice, because i lost count of the times we got into decent positions out wide and hit the first defender with the ball.These guys get payed to play football yet passing and crossing(schoolboy stuff)seems to be beyond them.

Prob true mate.....pitch cant help... but they get paid much more than us to do it.

Beat Celtic and they will be heros.... Lets supports the Heros theory, Come on McCall, dig deep.

Beat Celtic!!?? If that were to happen there'd be an enquiry into irregular betting patterns around Parkhead bookies! :(

Bottom line, as I've said before is that our players are like piss poor racehorses - unable to repeat their form.

Chance to get 3 straight wins + go 4th in SPL and we lose at home to a team getting their first win of 2011. Says it all. Too many f*cking losers in the team. I think McCall will be learning now that he has inherited a number of players who he will need to ship out at the end of the season. We need to get some honest hard working players in who are prepared to battle their corner all the time and not just when it comes up their humph. :wub: