2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

"Dundee United to hold contract talks with a midfielder from another SPL club within the next 48 hours - story in tomorrow's Daily Express." -- From that Scott Burns guy on twitter.

Could that be Jenno? I hope no! what a major sideways step that would be for the lad.

The Express story is about John Rankin

could we seriously afford Porter??? i dont think so

did he not go down there to reasonably funny money? and to be closer to his family?

there must be loads of clubs down there who would be interested and can offer way more than what we can

IF he came back - are you assuming Sutton is away? or are you going to drop Sutton? or do a Paw Brron and punt him to left midfield?? for me, if we were to pay someone a wage that Porter would want - he would need to play every week to justify the expense

could we seriously afford Porter??? i dont think so

did he not go down there to reasonably funny money? and to be closer to his family?

there must be loads of clubs down there who would be interested and can offer way more than what we can

IF he came back - are you assuming Sutton is away? or are you going to drop Sutton? or do a Paw Brron and punt him to left midfield?? for me, if we were to pay someone a wage that Porter would want - he would need to play every week to justify the expense

I was assuming Sutton is away. If he stays I don't see any need for porter

I was assuming Sutton is away. If he stays I don't see any need for porter

its a difficult one..........for me, Ports is by far the better footballer........however Sutton represents what Motherwell Fc is all about, fight, determination, guts and wears the heart on his sleeve

When Ports was here, Clarky done all the donkey work for him - who would do that now?? It would be class to see Jeffers and Ports together - but I just dont know if that would work and would probably cost the club a fortune!

its a difficult one..........for me, Ports is by far the better footballer........however Sutton represents what Motherwell Fc is all about, fight, determination, guts and wears the heart on his sleeve

When Ports was here, Clarky done all the donkey work for him - who would do that now?? It would be class to see Jeffers and Ports together - but I just dont know if that would work and would probably cost the club a fortune!

In my opinion Sutton will be away in the summer, if he was going to accept our contract offer he would have done so by now. As far as a partner for Ports(should he come back, as unlikley as it is), don't you think him and Murphy would be good together??

Slight side issue here. . . . .

I see Sheffield United have sacked Micky Adams, and I know from a workmate McCall is very highly regarded down there having finished up his playing career with them. Do you think he may be an option for them and we could be left with yet another manager hunt?

If Jennings & Sutton are going to leave they should be man enough to say so now. Anyone not committed to the club should be dropped for the final. How would you feel if you were committed to the club but didnt make the squad for the final only to find that after these guys play in the final & pick up a medal they bugger off? :angry:

• Like 1

If Jennings & Sutton are going to leave they should be man enough to say so now. Anyone not committed to the club should be dropped for the final. How would you feel if you were committed to the club but didnt make the squad for the final only to find that after these guys play in the final & pick up a medal they bugger off? :angry:

Are you seriously suggesting dropping two of our best players for our biggest game in 20 years? I take it all loan players should be automatically banned from the final too?

• Like 1

If Jennings & Sutton are going to leave they should be man enough to say so now. Anyone not committed to the club should be dropped for the final.

I agree in principle, but unfortunately thats not how the football world works. Players like Valakari and Hughes were in the same boat years ago. If, as seems very likely, both Sutton and Jennings move on there will still be fans who'll be blaming the club for not doing enough to retain their services.

Thats the way of the world. In the eyes of some the club will deserve criticism whilst the players will be seen to be squeaky clean.

Firstly, whatever Sutton decides to do he deserves his medal and his final place afterall he has scored in every single round and has played a vital part in geting us to where we are this season.

Secondly, Jennings has been fantastic this season and his performance against Dundee United in the replay was fantastic and pretty much sums up what the man is all about.

You can't really blame a guy for moving on for x5/x6 the money they are on at Motherwell. I will be disappointed to see them leave but they will do with a thanks and best wishes from me especially if they spur us on to a cup win this year.

• Like 3

I agree in principle, but unfortunately thats not how the football world works. Players like Valakari and Hughes were in the same boat years ago. If, as seems very likely, both Sutton and Jennings move on there will still be fans who'll be blaming the club for not doing enough to retain their services.

Thats the way of the world. In the eyes of some the club will deserve criticism whilst the players will be seen to be squeaky clean.

Dave, its a two way thing - the club need to accept some blame if they go. We could have offered Sutton a contract extension in Nov/Dec - but the club chose not too. If we made him an offer before he started scoring for fun and bringing mega attention on himself, then we would have a player who would have been signed on for longer and on a "cheaper" wage. As it happens, we didnt offer him a contract and waited until his stature rose and rose and rose - now we are in a position of losing him for nothing, or if he stays, its costing the club more money.

I dont want to see the club going back into the dark days of administration, however we need to speculate a little more - we have already seen the club tie down some of the more sellable assets - why was Sutton not included?

by not engaging with the players/agents before Jan - we are leaving them open to freely talk to other clubs who can tempt them with whatever offer.

I'll be disappointed if both leave, however they both would go with my best wishes and I would do exactly the same (you go where you think is best for you and your family)

• Like 1

If Jennings & Sutton are going to leave they should be man enough to say so now. Anyone not committed to the club should be dropped for the final.

Aye, we should have dropped that turncoat Tom Boyd for the '91 Final, too. :rolleyes:

Dave, its a two way thing - the club need to accept some blame if they go. We could have offered Sutton a contract extension in Nov/Dec - but the club chose not too. If we made him an offer before he started scoring for fun and bringing mega attention on himself, then we would have a player who would have been signed on for longer and on a "cheaper" wage. As it happens, we didnt offer him a contract and waited until his stature rose and rose and rose - now we are in a position of losing him for nothing, or if he stays, its costing the club more money.

what you are forgetting is that in november we had management in place who seemed to rate sutton as less valuable than gow. he only started 2 out 11 games in that period (madness) so maybe it was the management rather than the club who didn't want to give him a new deal.

good luck to sutty if he departs and if chrissy p comes back then jackpot.

Slight side issue here. . . . .

I see Sheffield United have sacked Micky Adams, and I know from a workmate McCall is very highly regarded down there having finished up his playing career with them. Do you think he may be an option for them and we could be left with yet another manager hunt?

I wouldn't rule it out. But i'm not going worry. give it any thoughts until names start to be mentioned in the pepers.