2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

For me, Hammell has had a solid season so don't know why we'd need a left back. A natural right back would be a priority.

Craigan, we need to look to be replacing. He may have another season in him but if not it'd be better to have another experienced centre back rather than find out in September that Craigan's legs have gone.

I'd let Jennings go as Lasley can do the same job without as many bookings. Maybe a more attacking midfielder alongside him to save Lasley having to try and support the strikers. Stephen Hughes wouldn't be my first choice but could live with him and Lasley in the middle..

I like craggs as much as the next well fan but take the claret and amber specks off for a minute. He's just simply not good enough anymore, he's far from the worst defender in this league but all im saying is that if we want to progress as a team we need a new partner for Hutchy. Craggs is absolutely fine to have on the bench but in the starting 11, in my opinion, we need a new CB.

Speaking to few Dumbarton fans they all rave about the lad Devlin at right back. Think he is an excellent player.

Don't see why he can't come and make an impression on the first team next year. Look at Barry Douglas that signed for Dundee Utd from Queens Park he played a good few first team games.

As for Craggs i have an awful lot of respect and time for the guy but we have got to be realistic, maybe his time is nearing an end! All sentiments put aside we need another centre half to partner Hutch. Or replace him as I think there will be vultures hovering over the big chap.

I like craggs as much as the next well fan but take the claret and amber specks off for a minute. He's just simply not good enough anymore, he's far from the worst defender in this league but all im saying is that if we want to progress as a team we need a new partner for Hutchy. Craggs is absolutely fine to have on the bench but in the starting 11, in my opinion, we need a new CB.

In all honesty i have to agree with that, Craggs is showing his age now and i think its time he was replaced. :nod: In Hutchison we have a great prospect who has been solid as a rock since he came into the team mid season but he needs a partner to back him up. If i was SMC i would make recruiting a centre half his number 1 priority during the summer.

stephen craigan is done at this level im afraid

I disagree. His experience is second to none, and whilst I would certainly like to see a replacement coming through I don't think he's finished.

Like most of the defenders in the SPL, he'll get caught out more times than not by Rangers & Celtic forwards. He's still got a fair bit to give I think, even if he doesn't play as many games this season as he did last.

oh and I only stopped by to comment that Scott Burns (Daily Express) has tweeted

McCall offers deals to two of his out-of-contract stars yesterday (outwith Jenning and Sutton)- see Daily Express tomorrow to find out who

Five players also head for the Fir Park exit door

Remember thats another season of experience under the belts of Saunders, Hateley & Hutchinson. Considering these guys to an extent have been thrown in at the deep end theyve done not to badly. Sure, we've lost alot of goals of late, but the players have played alot of games in recent seasons, and are probably jaded. With no European distractions, and hopefully a fully recharged and determined squad, much the same as this season, then we will do ok next season.

Has Craigan's form been that much different than previous seasons? He seems to have always had good and bad spells each season. Perhaps start with Saunders and Hutchinson with Craigan as back up. Tho, how happy he would be with that...

Outwith the old firm and perhaps Hearts (i.e. the big player budget clubs) who's a better left back than Hammell?

At the end of every season, we always have a thread where someone states we need this position filled. God knows how long we've waited for a left side midfield player!

We do need more a goalscoring threat from midfield. But then everyone is looking for that player.

Suppose we will just need to sit and wait to see what unfolds.

Not sure if he is done at this level. He makes mistakes like any player. I am not sure how many games he has played this season but it must be over sixty games the guy has played. I think he is our level and does a good job for us.

51 apps this season. That's not bad for someone who is "done". Craggs is so much needed on and off the park.

• Like 3

According to Scott Burns five players are heading for the Fir Park exit door.

I'm sure it'll be Este, Jones, Jeffers, Ross and Gunning that are the five that Mr Burns is Referring to with his tweets and he'll just assume that the loan must leave, that the older and out of contract stars will be "worthless", and the Season long contract that has gone no wheere will go nowhere. Hence only really leaving Jenno and Sutton, who he will know nothing about in any case but he'll assume that Jennings will leave us for another SPL Clubs the same with Sutton. :)

So in other words a pile of pish to get eople to buy the paper he works for.

51 apps this season. That's not bad for someone who is "done". Craggs is so much needed on and off the park.

Can see both sides and some of it depends on Crags. Does he want a change, a better deal than what has been offered, been offered a better deal ie Aberdeen, feel his best days are behind him, want a move into broadcasting? Does McCall feel he could get someone who could command a large transfer fee in the future for the wages Crags is on? Does McCall think he could get a better, younger, player, for less money?

Who knows. Either way I hope he gets his testimonial match. All went very quiet on that front.

Going by Scott Burns we might find out the answer soon.

Saunders and Hutchinson are two belting prospects but playing them alongside each other on a regular basis could be detrimental to their development imo as both of them are still relatively raw. Ideally, you are looking for them to fight it out for one centre-half position with an experienced head alongside them.

Well to be honest id just like craggs to go out on a high. Great servant to the club and just led us to a scottish cup final. Even though he had a pretty poor game id rather remember him for this than see him fading away next season.

I like John Sutton and think he's been terrific for us and I'd love to seem him staying with us. However, it seems that we have made him the best offer we possibly can so I think its time to tell him and his agent to put up or shut up. I really think clubs need to start playing hard-ball with their players and if they have made the best offer they can then put a time limit on accepting it. If they have not accepted within that time limit then the deal should be withdrawn and the player told to move out asap. If they think they can do better elsewhere then good luck to them. We need to move on as a club and the manager has to start planning for his replacement if he's not staying. Players come and go nowadays and very few of them show any loyalty so why should we. As I've said here before, most of the players who have moved out of FP in recent years for so-called better deals with so-called bigger clubs have ended up on their arses.

I like John Sutton and think he's been terrific for us and I'd love to seem him staying with us. However, it seems that we have made him the best offer we possibly can so I think its time to tell him and his agent to put up or shut up. I really think clubs need to start playing hard-ball with their players and if they have made the best offer they can then put a time limit on accepting it. If they have not accepted within that time limit then the deal should be withdrawn and the player told to move out asap. If they think they can do better elsewhere then good luck to them. We need to move on as a club and the manager has to start planning for his replacement if he's not staying. Players come and go nowadays and very few of them show any loyalty so why should we.

Great post. If we've offered the best deal we can, then set a deadline. If its not accepted by then by the parties concerned then its time to thank them and close the door. That will give SM adequate time to find replacements.

I've only seen Hollis the once so not the best way to judge the guy but i thought he looked a good keeper and on that performance I'd have though motherwell would have liked to keep him on for when a decent offer comes in for Randolf.