2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Summer would have been Brown in charge and Brown clearly didn't fancy him. January, McCall would barely have been in the door and no way could have considered offering a contract until he knew how Sutton/others fit in with his plans. Not entirely sure what Sutton was expecting there.

You've got it in one Haggis.

How many posters on this Board would have offered him a lucrative deal in say last last November? Out of interest how many folk would currently offer Ross Forbes a 2/3 year extension on the basis that his form may take off next season?

Not uncommon for clubs to wait until their final league position is known before offering deals - we're by no means unusual in doing this.

Pretty certain that JS has been talking to Hearts for some time but despite that said publicly he'd like to stay.

We need to cut the club some slack on this. We shouldn't start slagging the club off until we've heard their side of the story.

Hopefully SM well spend some clever money this summer and get a decent striker or two. I'm actually not all that worried about Sutton leaving - I reckon it will give Murphy a chance to step up some more. I'd be much more worried if Randolph or Hutchy goes.

How many posters on this Board would have offered him a lucrative deal in say last last November? .

Whilst not exactly lucrative I'd have been offering Sutton a deal way back but as has been posted Broon wis an auld diddy who didnae recognise Sutty's true worth to the team.

His comments don't add up considering McCall was quoted weeks ago as saying we'd put our best offer on the table so I won't be hard on the club about it but he should have been offered a new deal even before he rattled in those 2 goals against Celtic. After that, what with it being on live telly, he immediately drew attention and kept on scoring so we were well fucked even at that stage IMO.

But we'll survive, we'll just sign somebody else as we have done numerous times in the past.

• Like 1

What an absolute Wonga.

It's hard to dislike Sutty even if he has gone to 'them' like others I think he was expecting too much to be offered anything by Motherwell until very recently and a bit daft if he thinks he is more valued at Hearts than by us.

All said it will be a good move for him. Hearts is as far as he can go in Scotland, they have had a good season, he has an opportunity to work with JJ who might be good for him, they are in Europe and are probably only going to get better next year.

I hate JJ's Hearts a lot less than Hearts of recent years. They have had a history of signing arseholes with talent and now seem to be signing good players with the right mentality like John so more power to them I guess.

On the flip side it gives SM a chance to bring his own player in with the wage which can only be a good thing. He needs to make this team his own now and frankly, despite his obvious value... did we ever really think John suited our style of play?

Wasn't suprised when i heard he had left on sportsound last night. I am disapointed to see him go, but do not grudge the man for doing so. I just hope McCall can find a decent replacement.

All the best John (Just hope you have "off day's" when you turn out against us)

Good luck to the big man, hope he receives a warm welcome at fir park next season. Good move for him, would be a bench-warmer anywhere else.

You've got it in one Haggis.

How many posters on this Board would have offered him a lucrative deal in say last last November? Out of interest how many folk would currently offer Ross Forbes a 2/3 year extension on the basis that his form may take off next season?

Not uncommon for clubs to wait until their final league position is known before offering deals - we're by no means unusual in doing this.

Pretty certain that JS has been talking to Hearts for some time but despite that said publicly he'd like to stay.

We need to cut the club some slack on this. We shouldn't start slagging the club off until we've heard their side of the story.

I agree that its all down to timing but we should have been talking to Sutton after we wrapped up the top six instead of doing it the week before the cup final. After we got into the top six, we knew the minimum of what our budget would be and it would have then been a good time for Sutton to be rewarded for his purple patch which helped get us into the top six and would've been a good boost ahead of the semi or the final.

There are certain players where its acceptable to wait until the end of season before deciding if we are keeping them or not (eg. Jeffers, Jones and the like) and there are players who we should've been working hard to secure their deals as part of building for next season (Sutton and Jennings). Wrapping up the deals for these guys in March/April time where McCall knows who are his regulars would've been more adventagous to the club and would've prevented the vultures from circling.

I've questioned Gunning's attitude but I've also said that he has great potential.

I never imagined there would be an opportunity to sign him on a permanent deal but if there is a chance, Id jump at it. You could easily make a few quid out of him. He's got a helluva lot to learn just like Hutchinson and Saunders but his talent is unquestionable.

I am sorry to lose big Sutty, personally i'd have kept him on...and strangely the best game i've seen him play, he didn't even score. In the 8-1 game against Flamurtari he was basically responsible for nearly all our goals.

I do think however, that this deal will be beneficial for all parties involved. Strangely, I actually think we'll benefit more from it than Hearts, as it might unlock the way we're able to play slightly and give us a few more options.

So according to Sutton we made pretty much fuck all effort to keep him? Sounds just like us.

He was enjoying his time here, asked for a deal at the start of the season, at christmas and there was nothing concrete on the table, even the week before cup final :wallbash:

I certainly don't hold any grudges, as much as I don't think it's the best move he could've had. I appreciate the hard work and effort he's put in whilst here, as well as his professionalism both on and off the park.

Best of luck for the future Sutty, but I hope yer team gets pumped on a regular basis :cheers:

Link

When contacted last night, Jeffers said he had an offer to stay in Scotland and two to return to England.

He said there had been no contact with the Jets but he would love to come back to Newcastle.

''I really enjoyed my time in Newcastle and my family loved being there,'' Jeffers said.