2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

My only issue is that he's no better that Sutton and I always think players we sign should be better than the player they replace, mind you Motherwell can't afford to do that all the time (we just have to develop them ourselves)

I agree that we should replace players that we choose to move on with someone better, but Sutton left because he was offered a better deal by a bigger club, so I don't think it applies here.

Higdon is exactly the kind of striker that we need. Hopefully he can do a job for us next season.

I agree that we should replace players that we choose to move on with someone better, but Sutton left because he was offered a better deal by a bigger club, so I don't think it applies here.

Higdon is exactly the kind of striker that we need. Hopefully he can do a job for us next season.

Truth is we aren't going to get better strikers than Sutton very often and certainly not on a season by season basis.

You get 15 goals out of one striker (Suttons level) and 10 out the other and you are probably going to be in the Top 6 or certainly very close.

If memory serves correctly, I don't recall Sutton being all that prolific before he came to us

His league stats, at least, were much the same: 53 goals in 173 appearances (30% strike rate), compared to 32 in 98 with us (32%).

For the record, Higdon's career (league) stats are 43 goals in 204 appearances (25%).

Hate this shite during pre season.

Best user name ever

Thats right mate, you must know a shit load about fitbaw. In fact I think SM should hire you a his top scout so we can source players who are not lazy.

I also agree about Sutton never working for his goals. I mean his 40 yard effort into the top corner verus St Johnstone basically just hit his toe and went it. Also I seem to remember a good few others ones that just hit his head, left foot and right foot and amazingly went in the net.

I actually think Sutton isn't even a footballer - he is just a lucky c**t.

I actually enjoyed this post

JOB was decent. He caused defenders a headache, but didn't contribute enought in front of goal. 4 goals from 64 games is shite. But as many have said we haven't missed him at all.

Will never forgive him for the penalty miss against Rangers

i think some people are going to be in for a bit of a shock when they see Higdon play.......dont get me wrong, I'm delighted we have signed him, good old fashioned centre forward who likes to put himself about and can find the back of the net

but without a shadow of a doubt - Sutton had more pace and was more mobile than Higdon. Sutton will never be as quick as Kenny Miller, but he wasnt as slow as a dinosaur. He just looked very clumsy when he was running

Sutton is/was fitter and quicker than Higdon - hopefully with a good pre season under his belt this will improve

Anyway - delighted to have another body on board, and lets hope he gets off to a flier before the boo boys get on his back

Would rather still to have Sutton but Higdon is a decent choice to replace him, I fear he may be a target for the boo boys if he dosnt make a good start to season, let's not forget Sutton wasn't everyones favourite until Brown left.

Good luck big man hope you score a barrow load of goals for us.

what these two said

Remember THE DON is now at a bigger club therefore will get more chances over the season and hopefully more goals.

Its like when Skippy went to smellic they were screaming abouthis lack of goals forgetting its alot harder to score at a diddy team.

St Midden is more a diddy team than us , from a town full of diddies

Higdon has one advantage over Sutton. He wants to play for us. No point comparing them like we made a choice. Choice between the two was made for us by John Sutton.

Higdon wants to be here. That makes him better than Sutton for me..

I think its more Higdon wants to play in he SPL, but i like you opinion more.

Mmore than happy to have him on board, another 14+ goals in the league next season will nicely Mr Higdon

The test of a decent striker is when he's playing for an opposition team, and you genuinely fear he's going to score against you. Boyd had it with the 'Gers, Higdon had it with the Bairns and the Buddies, Sutton didny really. Good signing, now if we could only get Vadocz back in midfield......:whistling:

The test of a decent striker is when he's playing for an opposition team, and you genuinely fear he's going to score against you. Boyd had it with the 'Gers, Higdon had it with the Bairns and the Buddies, Sutton didny really. Good signing, now if we could only get Vadocz back in midfield......:whistling:

Ha, funny enough when I saw your name at last post, I thought "Jesus, have we got Vadocz back?!?"...

Happy with this signing . As has been mentioned in previous posts ,Higdon is one of those strikers that always made me nervous when he played against us .

Capable of scoring a goal out of nothing , and the occasional screamer from distance .. Good bit of business by McCall . Welcome to The Arc big man .

Like others have said I always feared Higdon when he played against us. He seemed to bully Craigan every time. I'm sure I saw him score a cracking goal against us at Falkirk a couple of seasons back. A big strong forward who should get on the end of crosses and hopefully Humph and Jamie will provide them.

Positive couple of days.

For me, I'd love to see:

* Jenno extend

* Another striker .... Grella?

* Creative midfielder

* Someone to compliment and bring on Hutch resulting in our GD not being -20 next season

If budgets allow, I'd also like:

* A left winger to allow Murphy to move more central if the game demands it

* A young box to box midfielder with pace

* Cover for Hammell and Craigan (if he stays) .... Gunning fits that bill surely

In an ideal world:

* Hateley to play like he did for the first six months he was here as a defensive midfielder

* Saunders to make RB his own

* Hammell to find someone ahead of him at LM who does 1-2's telepathically

* Lasley to stay injury free all season

* Murphy's trough to be as short as possible

* Humphrey to improve by the same margin he did this year and tie down crossing the ball like Beckham

* Higdon to establish where all the divots for lucky bounces are

* Randy to pull all the Rockettes ... on the same night

* Delvin to make one or two first team starts

I cant believe some people would be happy to go this season with McHugh and Murphy up front. Two decent prospects i'll grant you but seriously lacking height,weight,games together,in fact i'll go as far as to say there's NO WAY we can play them both as our strike force as we'll be known as Motherwell NIL. <_ . we need at least two strikers to replace the that have left. it not rocket science.>

Agreed, Murphy will need rested at times.

We need some experience upfront

McCall has his work cut out

Agreed, Murphy will need rested at times.

We need some experience upfront

McCall has his work cut out

Maybe he should think about looking at Michael Higdon or someone like that?

• Like 1

Truth is we aren't going to get better strikers than Sutton very often and certainly not on a season by season basis.

You get 15 goals out of one striker (Suttons level) and 10 out the other and you are probably going to be in the Top 6 or certainly very close.

we've always had better strikers than sutton!

clarky, porter, mcdonald, mcfadden, goodman, spencer, mcculloch, coyle, coyne and arnott all superior players in my well supporting career.

good move bringing in higdon. we pretty much know what we're going to get and he gives us an option to go long if need be. it'll be a test for mccall to keep him fit and motivated but if he is i think he will compliment humphrey and murphy well.

we've had 3 strikers in double figures for each of the past 4 seasons and i'm sure higdon will manage at least that. our midfielders always seem to have an aversion to shooting but the flipside of that is that we create plenty for the forward line. i also think we'll be worrying some teams from set plays next season if we're sending up higdon, hutchy and saunders to meet hateley's dead balls.