2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

if Hughes was going to come in for fairly average (for us) wages I'd take him back tomorrow, if he wants relatively high wages though I'd give him a miss

I'm with this. Good wages, aye. One of the top earners at the Club, naw.

I don't see Forbes as an answer for the first team. For all Hughes has been posted missing for periods, Ross Forbes has been missing for the best part of two years (excepting the Celtic game). I genuinely think he hit a tiny purple patch, and that he lacks the quality, and far more importantly, any form of wok ethic befitting a team challenging for top six.

He lacks a prolonged run in the team and maybe not being dropped after he plays a really good game might help as well. Forbes had a couple of good games last season but found himself dropped for the next. Other players were afforded more patience.

• Like 3

He lacks a prolonged run in the team and maybe being dropped after he plays a really good game might help as well. Forbes had a couple of good games last season but found himself dropped for the next. Other players were afforded more patience.

I agree with that.

I think forbes is a very talented player especially at set pieces and delivery. Can be very frustrating to watch as he is painfully slow and sometimes seems like he doesn't want to play. I still think with the right coaching he could turn into a key player for us as long as he is played in his favoured position.

We have ended up passing to the wingers in a static position most times, rather than a defence splitting pass that they can run on to and cross. That's why we were so ineffectual in the Cup Final, our wide players always seemed to receive the ball facing their own goals, and invariably passed the ball back the way.

Nail on the head, same with Diggle's.

That for me is the problem with our last 10 games of the season (leaky defence aside), can't remember how many times I got frustrated at Humphrey standing on the halfway line, back to goal, taking a touch and then hitting it by his man to chase. An insightful slide-rule pass into a gap for him or Murphy would pay dividends.

In Humphrey's defence, you don't know if he's been instructed to do that.

Hughes is a luxury player for a team like us. And he's another midfielder that doesn't score goals.

What we need is someone, not necessarily with Hughes technique that is going to run up and down the park, get into the box and actually be a threat himself, not someone dinking balls about from midfield. If we had an attacking midfield player making runs from the middle to front there presense alone would open up defences and create chances for strikers to move and get into space or wide players to cut inside.

When he's on form, which isn't often enough, Hughes can spot a pass but who is he going to pass it to? Higdon isn't going to run past defenders, Jennings? Lasley? Basically it's going to go to Murphy or Humphrey which completely negates the point of having a player like Hughes.

He's not what we need.

Good post. We need a a hard working box to box player first and foremost in midfield. That would provide Higdon with some support for knock downs and give our wingers much needed space.

Last time round Stephen Hughes simply didn't turn up in too many crunch games when he should have been head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. We cannot afford passengers.

Nail on the head, same with Diggle's.

That for me is the problem with our last 10 games of the season (leaky defence aside), can't remember how many times I got frustrated at Humphrey standing on the halfway line, back to goal, taking a touch and then hitting it by his man to chase. An insightful slide-rule pass into a gap for him or Murphy would pay dividends.

In Humphrey's defence, you don't know if he's been instructed to do that.

Aye but if Humphrey or Murphy want to receive a through ball they need to make the run, if they're standing still facing our own goal then the passer has no option but to give to feet. Sometimes i get the feeling that Hump doesn't realise he's fast due to his lack of movement looking for through balls. Can be really frustrating as the boy does have the pace and (occasionally) the ability

• Like 1

Judging from the posts above, what we really need is a " Phil O'Donell"

• Like 1

Last time round Stephen Hughes simply didn't turn up in too many crunch games when he should have been head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. We cannot afford passengers.

what games?

as i remember it it was hughes who was the driving force in the three vital wins over hibs, celtic and aberdeeen that secured europe for us.

i honestly think that people who wouldn't take him are mental. it would bring murphy on leaps and bounds as he would be able to concentrate on getting in dangerous areas rather than taking the ball off hammell 40 yards out and trying to make somthing happen from nothing.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Express tomorrow (don't buy it :evilgrin: ) everyone's fave message board reader claiming McCall discusses his "summer of frustration in the transer market" tomorrow.

It's the 6th of June. Our season only finished just over two weeks ago. Some summer of frustration.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Express tomorrow (don't buy it :evilgrin: ) everyone's fave message board reader claiming McCall discusses his "summer of frustration in the transer market" tomorrow.

It's the 6th of June. Our season only finished just over two weeks ago. Some summer of frustration.

And he's probably been on his hols as well :drinks:

To be honest with you, having a player like Hughes in the team isn't about how many goals he scored, but how many the team does. In his first season, Porter scored 18, Clarkson scored 13 and McCormack scored 11. His influence on those tallies were priceless in my opinion.

If he manages to get us playing in a way that the forwards score, I'll be happy with that.

As for Ross Forbes, the boy has the ability to be a top class player, we just need to utilise it. As it has been mentioned further up the page, last season he was dropped on the back of some good performances, I.e after the Celtic game, probably his most battling performance with Motherwell, then he was left out. Also, in the 0-0 game at Tynecastle, the week before the semi-final, I thought he was the best player on the park by a country mile, but wasn't in the squad for the semi-final, that must have knocked his confidence. Like anybody I can see his fitness has real room for improvement and it is upto him to work hard to improve that, but he can spot and execute a pass better than anyone else in our team and it is a waste we aren't using that. That said he does only seem to fit into a midfield three and you shouldn't play a formation to suit one man.

joining in the Hughes debate....

I dont know him, but do know his cousin very well. I spoke to him yesterday, and he seems to reckon that we are favourite to land him, but that Aberdeen have offered bigger wages.

He also said that his wife and wean were back up here, and that they preffered life in the Lanarkshire area.

probably all common knowledge to be honest, but its from a confirmed source (his cousin).

I would take him back in a heart beat, as I reckon I watched some seriously good football when he was here before.

basically , if we can afford him, we should sign him (imo)

joining in the Hughes debate....

I dont know him, but do know his cousin very well. I spoke to him yesterday, and he seems to reckon that we are favourite to land him, but that Aberdeen have offered bigger wages.

He also said that his wife and wean were back up here, and that they preffered life in the Lanarkshire area.

probably all common knowledge to be honest, but its from a confirmed source (his cousin).

I would take him back in a heart beat, as I reckon I watched some seriously good football when he was here before.

basically , if we can afford him, we should sign him (imo)

Famous last words but there is no chance of him heading North. I can see the only competition coming from the Edinburgh clubs, whether either is interested is a different matter.

what games?

as i remember it it was hughes who was the driving force in the three vital wins over hibs, celtic and aberdeeen that secured europe for us.

i honestly think that people who wouldn't take him are mental. it would bring murphy on leaps and bounds as he would be able to concentrate on getting in dangerous areas rather than taking the ball off hammell 40 yards out and trying to make somthing happen from nothing.

Without trawling through the fixtures list two games immediately come to mind. The first was a dire 0-0 draw at Rugby Park later in the season in an important encounter. On paper you'd have thought he could take the game by the scruff of the neck but in truth did absolutely nothing. The second was in a Scottish Cup replay at Paisley which we lost. That night he didn't show up until the final 10 minutes when it was too late. Two games where he could and should have provided the vital spark but was anonymous. One of the reasons he left Ibrox was that they reckoned he was too lightweight and disappeared whren the going got tough. Again, on paper you'd think he'd make a good Championship player but again has failed to cut it on 2 separate occasions. If push came to shove I could probably cite more examples.

You seem to have a problem with this fella, up to you but I don't see much of a problem with him compared to his fellow hacks. At least he bothers to feature our manager as in all other rags all we get all summer is the Old Firm non-signings

To be honest with you, having a player like Hughes in the team isn't about how many goals he scored, but how many the team does. In his first season, Porter scored 18, Clarkson scored 13 and McCormack scored 11. His influence on those tallies were priceless in my opinion.

If he manages to get us playing in a way that the forwards score, I'll be happy with that.

As for Ross Forbes, the boy has the ability to be a top class player, we just need to utilise it. As it has been mentioned further up the page, last season he was dropped on the back of some good performances, I.e after the Celtic game, probably his most battling performance with Motherwell, then he was left out. Also, in the 0-0 game at Tynecastle, the week before the semi-final, I thought he was the best player on the park by a country mile, but wasn't in the squad for the semi-final, that must have knocked his confidence. Like anybody I can see his fitness has real room for improvement and it is upto him to work hard to improve that, but he can spot and execute a pass better than anyone else in our team and it is a waste we aren't using that. That said he does only seem to fit into a midfield three and you shouldn't play a formation to suit one man.

Which, funnily enough, is how everyone sees Hughes fitting in if we sign him. :popcorn:

The gist of the Express Story is that we are competing with Non-League sides in England who can pay more than we can.

McCall says that some of he is finding it frustrating that some players would rather drop leagues for more money than challenge themselves to play at a higher level.

He appreciates that family etc. also comes into play and is another reason why players would opt to stay local.

So he is now at the point that he has players looking at all their options before making their decision or looking at SPL players or Scottish lads that have gone down South and looking to come back.

He is trying to get Gunning back on loan but this is another stumbling block as it'll be late in the window before he'll know about loanees as the English teams won't decide on their squads until then.

He is interested in Hughes and Porter has been put to him to but admits even those deals would depend on finances as they're both on much more than we can afford.

• Like 1

He is trying to get Gunning back on loan but this is another stumbling block as it'll be late in the window before he'll know about loanees as the English teams won't decide on their squads until then.

He is interested in Hughes and Porter has been put to him to but admits even those deals would depend on finances as they're both on much more than we can afford.

------------------------Randolph----------------------

Hateley------Hutch---------Gunning---Hammel

-------------------Lasley------Jennings-------------

Humphrey----------Hughes---------------Murphy

--------------------------Porter--------------------------

Subs: Hollis, Craigan, Saunders, Page, Carswell, Forbes, Higdon, McHugh etc.

If McCall put something like that team together i would probably end up drowning myself :wank: :wank: :wank:

• Like 2