2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Apologies Owl just jumped the gun.

I hope you Understand Reynolds was a player who when he first came on the scene at Well was an outstanding prospect and went on to have a couple of good seasons before whatever reason his progression stalled.

He was that highly thought of we rejected £750k from Rangers for him.

A lot of Well fans were sceptical about a move to Weds as physicality isnt a strong part of his game, very easily bullied off the ball bye a bigger stronger opponent, which it looks like has been found out down south. To me a move to Holland or similarr style of football would have suited him more.

Really sad to See this happen as he is still a young lad and he is one of our own. A better professional you will struggle to find.

Just for the record not an Englishman and Im sorry you thought my tone was 'arrogant'! It was more about the quality of League One in general (which includes the Owls). Im under no illusions about how crappy SWFC have been recently (with or without Reynolds) and the changes needed ahead. My point was that on his showing for SWFC he was well below the poor standard of the rest of the team (and this division).

2 starts as CB and 2 starts as LB. Subbed in both LB starts and one CB game. We have had some awful players recently but this lad was imho amongst the poorest once he pulled on the new shirt. Whatever he showed at Motherwell he left behind in Scotland.

I dont condescend and follow football from several countries/leagues. I just happen to have a soft spot for the Steelmen. I knew about Reynolds well before he moved south and was originally happy to see him go to the Owls. Sometimes moves work and sometimes they dont. This was a personal disaster for the lad and I hope he recovers. I did think the £450k was a lot of money.

His form wasn't so good when he left, think most where glad we got some money for him

You can't read too much into that. Two different managers and tactics. Brown and Knox were very defensive while McCall has been using a much more attacking tactic.

we didn't lose 3 goals away to ict, killie and hearts and 4 away to united becuase we were playing cavalier football. we lost them because of piss poor defending.

I saw him play at LB against Birmingham in the FA Cup before he was hooked after half an hour and he was woeful. The corner flag would have done a better job at LB. Hibs would be welcome to him.

Hutchinson >>>> Reynolds

• Like 2

there's no chance that reynolds would get half the wage he is on at wednesday anywhere in the spl. i think he'll hang about for a while as he'll know that if he does that he'll be set financially and even if he barely kicks a ball in the next two years he can always come back to fir park then.

to me wednesday look to be up shit creek. they spent big hoping to bounce straight back to the championship and missed by miles. now they are owned by the grim reaper of fitba milan mandaric and unless they can't massively chop the wage bill they will start running up debt again. no reason for marky to worry though as the pfa guarantees wages even if a club goes tits up.

if we can get him free + not so much in wages then take him simply for some depth in the squad (something we have lacked for so long) he can put a shift in and under the inffulence of guys like craigan again he would find his feet, he has talent just needs someone to bring it out and use him in the right way

• Like 1

I saw Wednesday playing Brighton this year and they were the worst team I have seen in a long while. They would not give Airdrie a game. When I saw the shit they had in defence that day I did fear the worst for Marky as if he could not get a game there then he had a very short shelf life.

Anyway I would have him back as long as it did not cost us anything.

Last time I saw Wednesday playing football they had Benito Carbone, Gilles de Bilde and Gerald Sibon, even then they were shit. Since then they have attempted some sort modern dance style show that only just resembles football. Yorkshire's 6th biggest team.

we didn't lose 3 goals away to ict, killie and hearts and 4 away to united becuase we were playing cavalier football. we lost them because of piss poor defending.

And we also qualified for a cup final this season which saw many players rested in the last five games and the goals racking up against us, not really a fair comparison either way is it?

• Like 1

And we also qualified for a cup final this season which saw many players rested in the last five games and the goals racking up against us, not really a fair comparison either way is it?

it's not like we were handing out debuts in defence after the semi and if we still had reynolds we wouldn't have had to watch gunning's comedy capers.

reynolds and hutchy would be a superb combo. left footer/right footer, one who attacks the ball and one who sweeps, both of them have pace. i still think craggs can do a job for us next season but playing every week on the left side of the CH pairing? not sure.

• Like 1

it's not like we were handing out debuts in defence after the semi and if we still had reynolds we wouldn't have had to watch gunning's comedy capers.

reynolds and hutchy would be a superb combo. left footer/right footer, one who attacks the ball and one who sweeps, both of them have pace. i still think craggs can do a job for us next season but playing every week on the left side of the CH pairing? not sure.

No but consensus was chopping and changing hardly helps.Not arguing over it, couldn't care less really but for 'one set of fact's there's another which fit just round the corner. I agree Marky and Hutch wold be good pairing, in fact I was hoping for just that partnership before Reynolds left.

• Like 1

got to say i was never his biggest fan, somtimes he played imence and others he just made stupid mistakes that cost us dearly... see the 6-6 game with hibs for an example. his distabution was poor, couldnt pass to save himself. made some decent challenges but then other times would let himself down with positioning.

keep him, we have a far better player in hutchinson.

with reynolds last season we playeed 28 games and conceded 29 goals.

without reynolds we played 25 games and conceded 43 goals.

we definitely missed reynolds when he left last season. him and hutchy would be a superb pairing.

I know you have a wee hard-on for picking people up on things and contradicting wherever possible so apologies for not just letting you get on with it, but I think we all know that if we brought him back it wouldn't be Craigan sitting on the bench next season...and Reynolds certainly wouldn't be back to try out the subs tracksuit. The difference we'd be left with is playing Reynolds who was about as finished an article as he would ever be at Motherwell, versus playing Hutchinson who is very much still developing. Of course choosing the latter comes with the possibility of conceding a higher amount of goals at this stage...but as long as it's not too disastrous in the short term then the longer term benefits of playing Hutchinson far outweigh the quick fix of choosing Reynolds. As long as the short term drawbacks are manageable and don't harm us too badly, then a club like ours has to look longer term than bringing back someone like Mark Reynolds.

Apologies Owl just jumped the gun.

A lot of Well fans were sceptical about a move to Weds as physicality isnt a strong part of his game, very easily bullied off the ball bye a bigger stronger opponent, which it looks like has been found out down south. To me a move to Holland or similarr style of football  would have suited him more.

When Alan Irvine bought him it was for his alleged pace but he came in at a time of major change and perhaps that sapped the confidence out of the lad. Cue Megsons arrival and now we are looking at six foot seven centre backs like the newly signed Rob Jones. Physicality is very much Megsons ethos when faced with limited resources. We now have money to spend but who wants to come to a third tier team with no recent success?

Reynolds cant fit into the new style Owls defence because we cant afford players to be bullied off the ball. Stoke City mark 2 here we come lol.

I do wish everyone at Motherwell the best for the coming season. I always look for their results.

but I think we all know that if we brought him back it wouldn't be Craigan sitting on the bench next season...and Reynolds certainly wouldn't be back to try out the subs tracksuit.

i don't see why that would be the case.

reynolds would play on the left side and hutchy would be the first candidate to play on the right. hutchy has signed a new deal and getting a healthy fee for him should be a target for us. i don't think mccall would hesitate to start with reynolds and hutchy, he has left out craigan when it was the right thing to do on a few occasions before.

our defence was rock solid for most of 2009 and 2010 then since reynolds left it hasn't been up to the same standards. to suggest we're stronger now when all we have is the exact same players as a year ago minus reynolds and craigan a year older is a strange statement.