2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Newsnow posted a link to an article stating celtic are in for murphy.

http://www.newsnow.c...509754957?-1321

Haven't read it yet as it's blocked at work. wallbash.gif

Here is the full thing.

Scotland U-21 striker and self confessed Rangers fan, Jamie Murphy, has emerged as a surprise target for Neil Lennon. The Motherwell striker, who is valued at £1m, had been linked to his boyhood heroes in recent weeks, but it now appears that city rivals Celtic are in pole position for the youngsters signature.

Lennon had Murphy watched against Inverness on the opening day of the season, and the striker will have done his chances no harm with a fine display and a 28th minute goal in an impressive 3-0 win over the Highlanders.

Celtic face competition from Spurs, West Brom, Crystal Palace and Wolves with Rangers only likely to re-enter the race if their signing of David Goodwillie from Dundee United falls through.

Scouts from at least seven different clubs had the Motherwell man watched from the Fir Park stands last Saturday, and manager Stuart McCall’s post match press conference had an air of inevitability,

“It’s not just Jamie – there are two or three others – but from my point of view, they would all benefit from another year here.’

‘Players maybe leave the SPL and end up on the bench or whatever down south when they would be better staying here and developing by playing.’

‘If a big bid comes along it’s something we’ll have to look at but it’s not something I’m encouraging.’

The problem we have at the mo is that Rangers have got off to a pants start, this means that the management at the club will want to calm the fans down, one more poor result and they will call for blood, anyways they will need to make a signing to calm the natives, one more bid for Goodwillie, that will fail and then they will half that offer and get Murphy just to keep the fans happy! watch this space.

Get your money on Goodwillie to be SPL top scorer, at Dundee Utd he has no chance of that, but the market has not allowed for a move to Rangers, worth a few quid.

That thought has crossed my mind today. I still don't think he is going anywhere though. As for McCoist I think he would have to be doing truly abysmally for his fans to turn on him.... ie 2 months or more in 3rd place.

and I can't help thinking McCall will be their next manager.

The problem we have at the mo is that Rangers have got off to a pants start, this means that the management at the club will want to calm the fans down, one more poor result and they will call for blood, anyways they will need to make a signing to calm the natives, one more bid for Goodwillie, that will fail and then they will half that offer and get Murphy just to keep the fans happy! watch this space.

Do you think Rangers fans will be 'happy' if they sign Jamie Murphy? More than likely it would cause more unhappiness that they weren't signing big enough targets.

Anyway with Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty all likely to score 15+ goals this season they aren't crying out for a forward player. They need a top quality midfielder, their central midfield is currently Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu and there is the problem in a nutshell.

Most importantly it's highly unlikely Rangers would offer the sort of money we should be looking for from a sale anyway. Murphy shouldn't go anywhere for less than 1 million, the Rangers valuation is supposedly £700,000 and they will come in lower than that.

and I can't help thinking McCall will be their next manager.

I think McCall would need to have some kind of tangible success before he was offered the job at Rangers. Right now he doesn't have the credentials, although I'm more than happy for him to go at the end of the season if we have some silverware in the cupboard!

Anyway if McCoist fails, and I think people are jumping the gun a bit on that score, most likely the support would move away from the idea of having an 'old hero' as manager and probably be looking for a sort of Dick Advocaat appointment.

Do you think Rangers fans will be 'happy' if they sign Jamie Murphy? More than likely it would cause more unhappiness that they weren't signing big enough targets.

Anyway with Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty all likely to score 15+ goals this season they aren't crying out for a forward player. They need a top quality midfielder, their central midfield is currently Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu and there is the problem in a nutshell.

Most importantly it's highly unlikely Rangers would offer the sort of money we should be looking for from a sale anyway. Murphy shouldn't go anywhere for less than 1 million, the Rangers valuation is supposedly £700,000 and they will come in lower than that.

Ya Bezzer what he is worth and what you get our two totally different prospects you know aswell as i do that at present knowone will pay a Million for Murphy, Rangers will test the water i think, but Rangers will want to sign someone if there poor start continues, at present they do not look impressive , Hearts more than matched them last week and as stated previously (Whether he is a god at Rangers or not) McCoist will have to take some incoming from the fans. Ok its only two games into the season and they are looking at exiting Champions league b4 the comp has even started. As for the fans being happy with getting Murphy your prob right, they wont be happy, but Murphy and Little Willy are hitting the headlines. and Rangers will want to cash in on the Press linked to these players, hence Celtic have been mentioned over the last few days.

Never say never, and for the record i believe that Murphy is better than anything Rangers have at present.

For the record, if you think Murphy is better than Jelavic, then you're off your head..

Owe no your ganging up on me!

Well im off my head then... Dazzer(offyourhead)

Seems like Badboaby aint going to Ibrox.

Talk-in on Radio Clyde tonight says he's off to Blackburn tomorrow for a fee of 2.8 million including add-ons and a percentage of any future transfer.

I cant believe it, Diddy Willy aint worth a million! mad money me thinks.

Talk-in on Radio Clyde tonight says he's off to Blackburn tomorrow for a fee of 2.8 million including add-ons and a percentage of any future transfer.

Last I heard, United had knocked back Blackburn's offer.

You only hope that if Murphy was a few clubs' Plan B if they didn't get Goodwillie then we can now engineer a bidding war that would get us the largest possible fee, and as a real bonus almost certainly rule out the Old Firm..

I am in two minds here really about Murphy, firstly i agree with Mcall that he should stay another season, but the dangers are that at present he seems to be flavour of the month, lets hope we dont do a Reynolds with him, thought we held on too Reynolds far to long, as his value dropped massively as the season went on.

Our best price could come now for Murphy as he will go one of two ways.... be worth nothing in 6 months or Millions, i suppose thats the gamble we take.

I'd heard they had turned down £1.8m. Won't sell for less than £2m. They are seriously in debt and need to replace him with quality.

"The deal looks likely to be concluded within the next 24 hours, with United receiving £2m in cash up front, plus add-ons of £800,000".

From the BBC website.

Bottom line is that is very decent money for Goodwillie. I would say he is marginally better than Murphy. But the word is marginally. Goodwillie is stronger and has a stronger shot as a result, but I still think Murphy is as skillful and in fact goes past players more easily than Goodwillie.

Murphy is worth what teams are prepared to pay for him. I hope he stays at least until January, but if he continues to score and play well over the next week or two, the vultures will be circling.

I hope MFC to a DDee Utd. If you want Murphy stump up £1.5m, any less don't bother phoning. If they accepted less than £1m one would not be at all happy...........

Goodwillie is a poacher who if you blindfolded him and spun him round would still be facing at the goalmouth (closest player I've seen to him is Ian Wright - Arsenal, not Celtic) Murphy is a more intelligent player who has the ability to be a creator as well as a scorer but won't bag anything like the same number.

Goodwillie is worth more, however if that's what he's reportedly going for then Murphy is worth at least £1.4m (and a good choice, cutting about in Glasgow nightclubs and getting noised up by one half of the OF's fans would ultimately be his downfall I reckon).

Great bit of business by Thomson back in January to get him to extend, looks like he's peaking just when his club are in dire need of the resale funds to keep them away from the guys with baseball bats.

Melvin do you really think United could turn down that deal if it's true ??

They could buy a new team with that sort of money.

Sorry, should have been clearer. The story I heard was the same as Finlay. That Blackburn had bid just under £2m and had been told to beat it. No, a deal worth potentially £2.8m, I knew United couldn't turn down..

Goodwillie is a poacher who if you blindfolded him and spun him round would still be facing at the goalmouth (closest player I've seen to him is Ian Wright - Arsenal, not Celtic) Murphy is a more intelligent player who has the ability to be a creator as well as a scorer but won't bag anything like the same number.

Yep, which is why Murphy is probably worth half the 2.8 million Utd are going to get for him. Teams pay for goals. But we shouldn't let him go for less than that. As far as I know Murphy is contracted to May 2013 so we don't have to shove him out the door this season if no one matches the valuation.

if i was in charge I'd be throwing a 3 year deal at murphy on a par with highest paid player at the club so when he does leave its for top dollar. There's no guarentee he'll accept but I'd certainly offer it anyway.

edit to add same for Randy

And so it starts...........

Wigan Athletic have had a bid rejected by Motherwell for striker Jamie Murphy according to newspaper reports in Scotland

The young striker was the subject of quite a bit of interest last weekend when scouts from several Premier League clubs watched as he scored the second goal in Motherwell`s 3-0 win over SPL rivals Inverness CT, but it appears that the Latics are the first to test the water with a solid bid.

It is being reported that although the initial bid was turned down that dialogue between the two clubs is ongoing to reach a deal to bring the 21 year old south of the border.

Stoke, Spurs, Wolves and West Brom are understood to also be interested in the highly regarded youngster.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248844#ixzz1TZc1NJXo

And so it starts...........

Wigan Athletic have had a bid rejected by Motherwell for striker Jamie Murphy according to newspaper reports in Scotland

The young striker was the subject of quite a bit of interest last weekend when scouts from several Premier League clubs watched as he scored the second goal in Motherwell`s 3-0 win over SPL rivals Inverness CT, but it appears that the Latics are the first to test the water with a solid bid.

It is being reported that although the initial bid was turned down that dialogue between the two clubs is ongoing to reach a deal to bring the 21 year old south of the border.

Stoke, Spurs, Wolves and West Brom are understood to also be interested in the highly regarded youngster.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vit...4#ixzz1TZc1NJXo

Which newspaper reports?

There's nothing on the websites of the Scottish Herald, The Independent or Daily Record website.

In fact, a quick Google news search shows that there is nothing linking Murphy with a move to Wigan except that news site you linked.

Also, there's an interview with Stuart McCall on the Herald site today which quotes him saying;

“There’s not been one enquiry about Jamie Murphy,” the manager said. “That’s the gospel truth. There are maybe clubs who are interested but we’ve not had an enquiry from anybody. And long may that continue from my viewpoint. I spoke to Leeann [Dempster], the chief executive, the other day and I’m sure if there is I’d be the first to know.”