2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

my take on things

higdon - he's upped his workrate but still not contributing enough. we should be looking for another striker in january. if we had a striker in the clarkson/jutkiewicz mould we'd be well away from celtic. we're 15 games into the season and there's not one game where you could say he's earned us a result, not good enough from a centre forward.

humphrey - a shocking start to the season. passenger is the perfect description.

forbes - mccall will already be planning what to spend his wages on next season.

hughes - get him signed up. lasley isn't getting any younger and even if jenno survives this betting thing he's still not guaranteed to be here next season. we won't get the chance to sign too many players of his quality.

See all this love for Stephen Hughes, is this based on any recent performances in the last season or two? Or are people just assuming he's the same player as he was way back in his first spell with us?

See when Phil O Donnell came back to us, what had he done in the year or 2 leading up to him returning? No I am no way comparing both of their contributions to out club in their first spells but sometimes a certain club suits a certain player. Scott McDonald had done hee haw in football until he signed for us but look what happened. Strange things happen in football.

what the f**k do people actually want from Michael Higdon?? for all the moaners, what do you seriously expect? according to this he has scored a 1/3 of our total goals this season - is that not enough?

playing up front on his OWN is not an easy job, and it continues to be harder if players either do not play to his strengths or do not get up to support him.

he isnt Rooney, he isnt Drogba, he isnt Aguerro...........he is what he is. Support him and the team - we're 2nd in the league FFS!

• Like 4

Feel free to stay clear of Fir Park on Sunday lads. I'm sure the team could go one week without your "support".

On topic. If we were to sign Hughes, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone should drop out the team. When you currently look at our bench, its weak and has very little experience. If a game isn't going our way, there are very few options to actually address it. Now if Hughes was sitting on the bench, he'd be a brilliant option to bring on to change our shape and add a bit of class to our attack.

As the season would progress, injuries and suspensions are likely to accumulate in our midfield. Allowing Hughes to come in and show his worth. I personally would like to see Forbes get a chance. But I think he lets the "East stand boo boys" get to him to really perform at Fir Park and more importantly I think McCall doesn't rate him all that much, which I think is a real shame.

I would like to see Hughes brought in and send Forbes out on a 6 month loan to the First to get some important game time that he isn't getting with us. Before coming back next season for one last shot at breaking into the first team. Hughes would be an excellent signing that would boost the squad and actually push for a first team slot, which in turn would help keep the pressure on our midfield to keep up the high standards already set this season.

So you can't say anything negative about guys if they're getting a game but it's ok to say our bench is weak despite hardly any of them getting a chance? At least with Humphrey and Higdon they've had plenty of chances and contributed very very little... As for Forbes he's had more time than most players get to prove he can cut it and except from a decent couple of months under Gannon he's not shown much at all, several managers have came and went with the same opinion.

I'm not saying people should boo players when at games (although I would maybe make an exception for Bob Malcolm when he was here) but I agree that "passengers" is the right phrase here.

So you can't say anything negative about guys if they're getting a game but it's ok to say our bench is weak despite hardly any of them getting a chance? At least with Humphrey and Higdon they've had plenty of chances and contributed very very little... As for Forbes he's had more time than most players get to prove he can cut it and except from a decent couple of months under Gannon he's not shown much at all, several managers have came and went with the same opinion.

I'm not saying people should boo players when at games (although I would maybe make an exception for Bob Malcolm when he was here) but I agree that "passengers" is the right phrase here.

Michael Higdon should just leave now and take Humphrey with him.

Nothing they do will be enough for some folk on here.

Higdon has scored a third of our goals and is top scorer at the club. Those goals have us second in the league. If that constitutes very little then I really hope the rest of the squad step up to the plate and start to contribute very little themselves.

Humphrey seems to be on a poor run of form admittedly, but his presence on the park allows us the opportunity to give him the ball and his pace will get us up the park quickly. He is also playing a part in the team being second in the league.

Forbes, Higdon and Humphrey now have the combined tactical genius of the East Stand and Cooper behind them though - who obviously all have a much better idea of how these professional footballers should play the game or Stuart McCall.

Second in the league and the players aren't good enough. Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What I actually said was the bench was weak and has very little experience. Taking a look at our bench from the ICT game at the weekend, I stand by those comments.

Tom Bradley

Omar Daley

Ross Forbes

Gary Smith

Jonathan Page

Jordan Halsman

Stuart Carswell

Now the weak and inexperienced comments come hand in hand, its weak because there is little to no first team experience apart from Daley as the rest are from our youth team. I'm in no way dismissing these players as weak and not good enough. They're good prospects, some will be good enough to break into the first team in the next few seasons, others won't and will move on. Thats football.

FWIW "Passengers" is entirely the wrong phrase. Teams are scared of what Higdon and Humphrey are capable of, more often than not opposition double up on them. This more often than not creates space for others. I would suggest that Hateley is having such consitent form down the right hand side of the park due to Humphrey often sucking in 2 players and creating a bit of space for him to play (space that he's taking advantage of with some good play). Even if they're not on top form which has been the occasional game over the course, the presence alone is contributing. Omar is obviously a very similar player, perhaps deserves a chance. But we're not second in the league, because we've been playing all our matches with essentially 9 men on the park. That is utter nonsense. We've won 4 and drawn 1 out of our last 5 league games. The team on that form picks itself (barring injury and suspension).

The need for some of our fans to have a "hate figure" from our own team will always baffle me. Which is why I would suggest if they want to shout abuse at our own players at the weekend they could do it in the comfort of their own home.

• Like 16

What I actually said was the bench was weak and has very little experience. Taking a look at our bench from the ICT game at the weekend, I stand by those comments.

Tom Bradley

Omar Daley

Ross Forbes

Gary Smith

Jonathan Page

Jordan Halsman

Stuart Carswell

Now the weak and inexperienced comments come hand in hand, its weak because there is little to no first team experience apart from Daley as the rest are from our youth team. I'm in no way dismissing these players as weak and not good enough. They're good prospects, some will be good enough to break into the first team in the next few seasons, others won't and will move on. Thats football.

FWIW "Passengers" is entirely the wrong phrase. Teams are scared of what Higdon and Humphrey are capable of, more often than not opposition double up on them. This more often than not creates space for others. I would suggest that Hateley is having such consitent form down the right hand side of the park due to Humphrey often sucking in 2 players and creating a bit of space for him to play (space that he's taking advantage of with some good play). Even if they're not on top form which has been the occasional game over the course, the presence alone is contributing. Omar is obviously a very similar player, perhaps deserves a chance. But we're not second in the league, because we've been playing all our matches with essentially 9 men on the park. That is utter nonsense. We've won 4 and drawn 1 out of our last 5 league games. The team on that form picks itself (barring injury and suspension).

The need for some of our fans to have a "hate figure" from our own team will always baffle me. Which is why I would suggest if they want to shout abuse at our own players at the weekend they could do it in the comfort of their own home.

Excellent post. In fact, just used the stupid green + thing for the first time on it.

• Like 2

You know sometimes its about maintaining a presence on the field of play nothing more... That alone creates space and therefore will free up the other free scoring midfielders we have in the team..dry.gif .. Come on guys lets face it we are performing well above exspectations and are still in the top 2 in the SPL, can we just give the constant abuse a rest.

Yes we know that not all the players can be excellent all the time but what ever they are doing works at present, so give the guys a break. Murphy Humphrey and Higdon will come good soon enough, we dont have any goal scorers in the whole squad, so being in the top 2 is a bonus, what we do have is players that need attention by the opposition, Murphy and Humphrey will always be doubled up on....purely as the just incase scenario, if teams dont double up they will get punishished.

Its not a wonder why Hateley is having his best season so far, the space is being created by the wingers we have, and the danger they pose should teams ignore the obvious threat.

Sitting 2nd in the SPL and both our wingers are playing below par, it can only get better.

I for one will take 2nd in the SPL and have our wingers under performing, and a Striker whos work often goes un noticed.

Well done lads keep it up!

Well what can i say ,I really am thoroughly ashamed of my comments about Higdon and Humphrey and I take back all that I said , a great big thanks to all you oh so much better than I am Motherwell supporters for showing me the error of my ways. A special thanks must go to Bert the sailor ,not only will I not go to the game on Sunday Bert the sailor but i will burn my season ticket such is the embarrassment I feel. To think I had the audacity to go along and watch Motherwell after such disgraceful comments .Disgraceful i tell thee disgraceful.

• Like 1

Well what can i say ,I really am thoroughly ashamed of my comments about Higdon and Humphrey and I take back all that I said , a great big thanks to all you oh so much better than I am Motherwell supporters for showing me the error of my ways. A special thanks must go to Bert the sailor ,not only will I not go to the game on Sunday Bert the sailor but i will burn my season ticket such is the embarrassment I feel. To think I had the audacity to go along and watch Motherwell after such disgraceful comments .Disgraceful i tell thee disgraceful.

suicide.gif

Don't be so hasty Jim, you could always give your season ticket to one of those "True" fans that are out there................ ph34r.gif

Just to be clear here, you're not calling Higdon a passenger, are you?

blush.gif

Lets get back on topic,

What can be our realistic expectations for the January Transfer Window? If we can only add one player to the squad, then I think it has to be a striker. Ideally I would have Hughes brought in on the cheap and have a cheeky 6 month loan deal for a striker from down south. But I fear thats unrealistic with the way the McCall talks about our budget.

So unless we sell 1 of the big guns in January, we'll have hee haw in the way of any In's? Strange as it may sound, but most of our sellable assets haven't been our top performers. Murphy hasn't hit the heights that we'd maybe hoped he would as yet, as some may point out Humphrey hasn't been firing on all cylinders whistling.gif. Jennings is pretty much untouchable until the case has been dropped. Hutchy and Saunders have both had injury set backs this season. I would say the only players that may be bought by other teams in January would be Randolph or perhaps someone will take a punt on Hateley on his current form, in fact I would be surprised if his dad ain't in the papers soon tipping him for a move to Rangers. Its been a team performance to get where we are so far this season. Its hard to point to one player being the sole reason for our success hence the bids hopefully don't come rolling in.

Heard from a reliable source [and I'm not telling who] that Randolph is away in January £600,000 .Done deal and all that ,just have to wait and see.

If it's a done deal, I'm looking forward to the club's reaction to the illegal tapping of a player with 18 months left on his contract.

• Like 2