2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I see Dundee United are after Dougie Imrie from Hamilton, I know there are those on here who seem to hold some grudge against him from their school days but for what its worth i think he's a player we should have been in for. He is a left footed player with a talent our side seem to be desperately lacking, the ability to actually put in a good cross and he runs himself into the ground in absolutely every game he plays. In recent years we have made cracking signings from down south, Law, Juke, Jenno etc but maybe at times we should look a bit closer to home too?

Do we really need a striker that doesn't score goals? He might have various qualities but goal scoring isn't one of them. He averages a goal every 10 matches in the SPL!

Do we really need a striker that doesn't score goals? He might have various qualities but goal scoring isn't one of them. He averages a goal every 10 matches in the SPL!

:nod:

Ojamma, Murphy, Humphrey & Daley are all forwards. We don't need another forward, we need another striker. Just now we only have Higdon and McHugh but McCall seems reluctant to play him unless it's a lower league team. Sadly you can't get a good striker with no money left in the budget. So unless we lose someone we can't bring anyone else in.

if we need a goal score we should have a wee look at the boy who plays wae airdrie top scorer in scotland so far this season , or try and get a wee loan in from a premiership or championship team

I'd love Clarky back, his movement and workrate would be the ideal foil for Higdon. Sadly as alluded to above, unless he fancies playing for free there's little chance of it happening.

I'm surprised McCall hasn't looked to move a few of the fringe players on. Let's face Forbes & Page have barely got a look in this season and will more than likely be let go in the summer. Why not try and offload them now, they both need games they won't get here and they're taking up a wage for doing a job which if we're being honest could easily be done by one of the U'19s. Of course they might not want to leave but if they have any ambition then the lure of regular first team football elsewhere might tempt them. Or someone like Jamie Pollock, when was the last time he was even on the bench let alone getting a game?

Getting rid of a few fringe players wouldn't free up the money for a David Clarkson but it might free up some

money to help pay towards  a contribution of a loan player's wage. We badly need another striker and quite frankly guys like Page, Forbes & Pollock are never going to get a game for  McCall and aren't contributing much for the wages they're getting. Just an idea, though McCall seems to be fairly happy with his squad.    

Totally agree with above - as things stand no chance of Clarky or anyone else. I would like to see some fringe guys moved on but in all honesty don't think that would free significant enough funds to bring in someone who could go straight into the team. I don't think the wages paid to the likes of Forbes & Page really make it worthwhile to move them on and reduce the squad size.

We have missed the boat on so many occassions by not cashing in on someone when the time is right and then getting less than we should have later on - Reynolds, Skippy, McCormack, etc, etc. I'd like to see what McCall could do by taking the hit in losing say Randy, Murphy or Humphrey and bringing in some first teamers.

Don't get me wrong I know Randy for example is vital to our team and has been oustanding last season and this.... but what if (and yes it is a big IF) we could get some decent cash for Randy that allowed McCall to find a replacement keeper and also bring a few more ready for the first team?

I'd like to see what McCall could do by taking the hit in losing say Randy, Murphy or Humphrey and bringing in some first teamers.

Don't get me wrong I know Randy for example is vital to our team and has been oustanding last season and this.... but what if (and yes it is a big IF) we could get some decent cash for Randy that allowed McCall to find a replacement keeper and also bring a few more ready for the first team?

of the 3 players you mention, there is probably only 1 that anyone is realistically going to get us any cash.

Murphy is / has been so "off-form" this season, that anyone who was having him scouted last season will have lost interest this season.

Humphrey has been much the same as Murphy this season, in regards to his form compared to last season......so there wont be many scouts turning up to see him either.

Randolph is the only one of the three that will get us any sort of a fee, but the big question there is "who replaces him, that wont cost us points ?".....sometimes it makes sense to keep what you have and run the risk of getting less / nothing for them next season, to justify the cash we could get from :-

a) a decent cup run

b) a higher league finish

c) a European spot ?

If....and it's a big if, we could find someone of a similar quality, then I'm all for cashing in, but not if we dont .

personally I'd prefer a decent cup run and a wee European run, over a few hundred grand in the bank and a relegation battle.

• Like 1

Didnt Gannon give Forbes and Hutchy long term contracts on a fairly good wage? I was always under the impression that Forbes was one of our higher earners in comparison to the full squad. That might not be the case at all, just what i'd picked up from the press at the time.

If so, first Division, here we come (Obviously sarcasm). He's stopped us from conceding too many goals this season. Holiis could replace him, but he's still out.

Well if someone pays us enough to make it worth letting him go we'll have the budget to bring someone else in. Whether we can do as well again is another matter, but I sure we'd bring in someone the manager has faith can do a job in.