2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Bolton, QPR and Rangers all showing an interest in Murphy, supposedly. Nice of old Craig to offer an opinion, too.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/129933-bolton-wanderers-rival-rangers-fc-and-qpr-for-motherwell-ace-murphy.html

Bolton Wanderers rival Rangers FC and QPR for Motherwell ace Murphy

by Geraldine Lagard. Published Tue 12 Jul 2011 14:15, Last updated: 2011-07-12

According to reports Motherwell striker Jamie Murphy is interesting Bolton Wanderers.

The Daily Star claims Wanderers boss Owen Coyle is eyeing the marksman.

However, it is understood that Scottish champions Rangers and Premier League rivals QPR are also in the frame for the £700,000-rated Murphy.

Murphy is a product of the club's youth academy and a Scotland U21 international.

Former Well boss Craig Brown said: "In terms of ability I can see exactly why Jamie Murphy is being quoted in the same breath as the likes of James McFadden."

Bolton, QPR and Rangers all showing an interest in Murphy, supposedly. Nice of old Craig to offer an opinion, too.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/129933-bolton-wanderers-rival-rangers-fc-and-qpr-for-motherwell-ace-murphy.html

when are rangers not wanting a player that could threaten their defence? I'd ignore this one. Start McCall has already page that he wouldn't consider a bid as low as £700k.

Sheridan had that "signed by Celtic so I must be good" pish about him.

Occasionally showed some nice touches and scored a couple of good goals but didn't ever seem to want to get stuck in unlike the Juke who knocked his pan in for the cause even though he was only on loan. Main reason that the 'Well fans never really took to him IMO.

Agreed, and I have no real qualms about getting players in on loan from the Old Firm if absolutely necessary to boost the squad. As soon as they play in claret and amber, they are a Motherwell player, clean slate, until I see how they play for us, or when they go back to the scum. Where they came from has little relevance, (excepting Elliot. We shouldn't be partially developing players for teams we should be in direct competition with)

I seem to remember McCall was rating him as a million pound player. With the number of years left on his contract, U-21 Scotland Status and Europa Cup experience, he must be worth that to someone.

Be happier to keep him for one more season though.

I'm surprised.

I thought that McBride was "piss poor" and "a fucking chancer" same as Sheridan...

Especially after he got the injury he came back and looked un-interested and was even more lightweight in the middle of the park.

I meant in terms of time, in the time Sheridan was here in the same length of time McBride was trying a leg and looked ok, once he'd signed and got injured.... well, different story entirely

I seem to remember McCall was rating him as a million pound player. With the number of years left on his contract, U-21 Scotland Status and Europa Cup experience, he must be worth that to someone.

i think that if we made it too the group stages last year anyone would be offering 1.5 mill. for murph

And to give Murphy his due, I think he would be more than happy to stay for another season before going for about £1.5m. Especially after he's 2nd top goal scorer in the SPL, behind big Higdon :whistling:

I think he will go in the January transfer window if I'm honest. As long as he doesn't go to the either of the OF, I'll be happy for him.

And to give Murphy his due, I think he would be more than happy to stay for another season before going for about £1.5m. Especially after he's 2nd top goal scorer in the SPL, behind big Higdon :whistling:

I think he will go in the January transfer window if I'm honest. As long as he doesn't go to the either of the OF, I'll be happy for him.

He'll have to do better than 1 goal in every 6 SPL games he managed last year. However there shouldn't be an Alan Gow to contend with. He does appear to be flying.

He'll have to do better than 1 goal in every 6 SPL games he managed last year. However there shouldn't be an Alan Gow to contend with. He does appear to be flying.

I quite agree and I do see him improving on his form from last season. He could be seen as a senior player in the squad with his appearances, which, according to wiki is 140-odd. I think he will grow into the role of 'senior squad member' and help the less experienced members of the squad (I was going to say younger but he's just a pup himself)

I see big things for Murphy. He's the second coming. Just waiting on the red Mohawk...

Motherwell have added former Tottenham left back Zaine Francis-Angol to their ranks, but manager Stuart McCall denied the 18-year-old as being the defender he is looking for to boost his first team.

Francis-Angol was invited to train with the Fir Park club last season and after an unsuccessful trial at Colchester has now agreed a deal to return to Lanarkshire.

McCall, who is still hoping for Gavin Gunning to return and boost his defensive options down the left side, said: “Zaine is a kid we had here after he was released by Tottenham. He will go into the under-19s as he’s not one for the first team yet.

“When you are bringing players in to the under-19s you have to ask if they can become first team players. From what we saw of Zaine, if he gets a season under his belt then he might be able to do that.

’Well enjoyed a good start to their pre-season campaign with wins over Morton and Dumbarton and continued their pre-season programme as they met Partick Thistle in Stephen Craigan’s testimonial match at Fir Park tonight (Wednesday).

They host Championship side Leeds United on Saturday with the SPL season starting a week later.

Probably about 90 percent of the matches he's ever played for us he's not played as a striker. He started off in midfield, he's played wide and off the front, but rarely as a out and out striker.

When he has done his record is a lot better than 1 goal in 6 games.

I don't think he'll ever be a 20 - 25 goal a season kind of player but he'll get into double figures if he's consistantly played as a striker I'm sure. I'd compare him with David Clarkson in that regard.

• Like 1

Porter allegedly has tried to fix a move back to the club only to be rejected due to lack of funds! I know he has been spoke of as a shout but heard it from a player tonight who is still friendly with him and he is defo keen to return! Shame, him and higdon along with murph would be a fantastic threat going forward!

Porter allegedly has tried to fix a move back to the club only to be rejected due to lack of funds! I know he has been spoke of as a shout but heard it from a player tonight who is still friendly with him and he is defo keen to return! Shame, him and higdon along with murph would be a fantastic threat going forward!

Well we certainly need another striker.

In the recent interviews the consensus seems to be that McCall is looking to bring in two more players, one permanent and one on loan. The one on loan I assusme is Gunning/Reynolds to give us a left sided defensive cover. That leaves one more space and if we get gunning/reynolds we look set in defence and we have more than enough midfielders. So that leaves us with finding a striker.

Would Porter be the answer, I have fond memories of him and thought he was a great player for us but with his injury record and his wage demand's you've got to wonder if we saw the best of him and is he worth the risk.

I have no idea if the above story is true(doubt it, no offence :P) but if he was willing to come back I would like to think the club could offer him something, as with a fit Chris Porter, we would have the strongest non OF striking options in the SPL.

As I say not sure about the story but I am desperate for the club to sign another striker as I'm not sure we can really rely on McHugh and Smith. If not Porter you look around and there's not much left, most players we could have got in our competitive wee market will have themselves sorted by now. If Porter was willing to come back for a decent wage I'd love to see him back but I can't help but feel he will have better options elsewhere. Where does that leave us... who knows but we always seem to sort ourselves out in the end.

As I've said before, my concern with Porter would

not be his ability (although as has been pointed out playing with Clarkson and McCormack helped him), but his fitness. Although fairly consistent with us, had injury issues both at Oldham and Derby.

On paper, he and Murphy look a good pairing but I won't be distraught if he signs for someone else..

Z.F.A. signed specifically for the U-19s eh? Not another Charalambous-type fiasco I hope.

I saw Charalambous have an argument in Tesco in Cypriot over a bottle of Fanta. So at least one Motherwell fan got some entertainment out of him.

Can only really echo what's been said about Porter. Fantastic penalty box player and the best finisher we've had since Tommy Coyne, but his wage demands in connection with his injury proneness might be too much. Would still love to see him back at Fir Park though.