2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Think once we sign Daley that might be our lot, would like another option up top on loan but can't see it happening. To be honest I would be fairly pleased with our squad, a bit thin but one of the best non OF 11's in the league and in reserve would have Clancy, Forbes, Hollis, Page & Daley all with decent experience and capable, we also have the likes of Carswell, McHugh & Lawless. I think if we stay lucky with injuries and suspensions we could challenge for Europe.

As I say I'm hoping rather than expecting to get another player in, however my biggest hope is that nobody leaves between now and the end of the window..

• Like 1

Would have liked a left sided defender and a striker to provide some depth but it would appear there is little scope for us to do anything in the loan market.

Majority of Scottish clubs in the same boat.

Lots of ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the state of the game, no money in Scottish football meaning it's going down the tube etc etc.

I genuinely believe the opposite. Right now we are at the beginning of a stage where football is the way it should be. There is no money in the game, that much is true, but that leaves us with, like Lobey Dosser says, everyone in the same boat. If you want to win games you have to do it by working with what you have, developing players, tactics and systems to try and better the opposition. There's no such thing as a team with more money, because none of us have any...there's less of a situation where a team wins more games because they can bring in the players they need.

At one point a few days ago, 4 of the bottom 5 were Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United. It's no coincidence that these are teams who are used to being able to spend a bit of money to bring in players. Now that they can't they are struggling, because they don't have the experience of having to try and win games with no money.

Obviously there are one or two little anomalies within that, and things that buck that trend slightly, but for the most part the money has all but left the game, and it's coming down to who can coach their players better, who can develop their players, who can apply tactics, and who can outwit and outplay the opposition.

Scottish football is dying? Balls.....Scottish football is just starting to be able to breathe again. Right now, is the best thing that could happen to the game in this country.

• Like 8

i met gordon young in the daziel arms on saturday ngt,and he said ross mckinnon was going to dunbarton,he also said the young french guy we signed would probably feature for the first team this season.

Lots of ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the state of the game, no money in Scottish football meaning it's going down the tube etc etc.

I genuinely believe the opposite. Right now we are at the beginning of a stage where football is the way it should be. There is no money in the game, that much is true, but that leaves us with, like Lobey Dosser says, everyone in the same boat. If you want to win games you have to do it by working with what you have, developing players, tactics and systems to try and better the opposition. There's no such thing as a team with more money, because none of us have any...there's less of a situation where a team wins more games because they can bring in the players they need.

At one point a few days ago, 4 of the bottom 5 were Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United. It's no coincidence that these are teams who are used to being able to spend a bit of money to bring in players. Now that they can't they are struggling, because they don't have the experience of having to try and win games with no money.

Obviously there are one or two little anomalies within that, and things that buck that trend slightly, but for the most part the money has all but left the game, and it's coming down to who can coach their players better, who can develop their players, who can apply tactics, and who can outwit and outplay the opposition.

Scottish football is dying? Balls.....Scottish football is just starting to be able to breathe again. Right now, is the best thing that could happen to the game in this country.

Great post!

Fair point Al, likewise never seen it tackled from that angle. The only thing that may upset the apple cart in that summary is Hearts, who continue to spend regardless of income.

With respect to the French guy, I've pretty much heard the same, apparently he's quite a find.

Finally, anyone got any updates as to how a lot of our "Out's" have faired?

Angelis Charalambous, Esteban Casagolda, Francis Jeffers, Steven Meechan, Liam Sloan, Gavin Griffin, Bradley Halsman, Steve Jones

EDIT:

Steve Jones has signed with Droylsden

according to Wikipedia, Gloria is at Real Madrid .....

Completely agree with all of that

according to Wikipedia, Gloria is at Real Madrid .....

Looks like someone has been having a bit of fun!!

Esteban Casagolda is a Spanish Football Forward currently a free agent after his release from Scottish Premier League club Motherwell.

The striker has spent most of his professional career in Belgium before being spotted by football agent Jonathan Hope and offered a trial at Stockport County. He was then offered a trial with Motherwell and, after impressing the Fir Park club, he was subsequently awarded a one-year deal.[1] He then made his debut in the 3-2 defeat to Hibernian.

Casagolda was to be only a squad player, who would make only 3 starts for the club. He left the club in the summer of 2011.[2]

Casagolda is subject to a bidding war towards the end of the European Transferwindow. No other teams than Manchester City, Inter Milan and Bayern Muich trying to sign the Striker on a permanent deal.

Also states his goal scoring for Motherwell as 12 in 12..

hahaha if only!

Although the whole thing doesnt make sense, was pretty funny

That's certainly true, but the problem we also have is that being good enough to beat another Scottish team under these conditions currently isn't nearly good enough to beat even mediocre teams in European competitions. So we also need to be finding ways to develop our players, tactics and systems to a level much higher than is currently required for domestic success, and that, I fear, is the tricky bit.

It's also incredibly misleading. Jan/Feb typically has the worst winter weather and our record for the last 3 seasons for those 2 months (including Cup games) is pretty good:

2008/2009: Played 11. Won 5, Drew 5, Lost 1

2009/2010: Played 10. Won 6, Drew 3, Lost 1

2010/2011: Played 14. Won 6, Drew 2, Lost 6

Total: Played 35. Won 17, Drew 10, Lost 8.

And 2 of those seasons we only lost 1 game during those 2 winter months.

Statistics, eh?

all i was saying was we've had a fairly major slump for two months in each of the past 3 seasons that has left us playing catch up, avoid that and we should be in a strong position going into the final 1/3 of pre split fixtures.

i don't think the weather has been that bad in febraury recently. i don't know about 2008/09 but the last couple have been mild compared to what came before. i do think we're a bit of a fair weather team, the only games i can remember us winning in minging weather in the past two seasons are the cup tie in stranraer and the two games at pittodrie (which says more about aberdeen than us). the 3-3 game at tynecastle is a good example, when it was pissing down we were dire and 3-0 down, when the sun came out we ran riot and scored 3.