2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Random question. How does fitba insurance work? We hear sometimes of insurance paying out for players wages if they get crocked, but how long do they have to get crocked fur tae pay out? We will certainly get crocks through the season, even just fur a couple of weeks; might the insurance pay oot?

Hughes will come cheap! He stays in Motherwell and his family were homesick. Killie, St Mirren etc ain't exactly dripping with cash to add Squad players or automatic picks. Even if we just got him on a Payed as you Play deal, he would be a great signing. Only teams I think would want and could afford on decent terms would be Hibs and Sheep

I'm bamboozled by some of the negativity, although I probably fucking shouldnt be given that this is Motherwell fans we are talking about..........if we have the capability (ie available funds) to sign Stephen Hughes we should fucking be delighted. One of the best midfielders that I have seen playing for Motherwell over the past 25 years or so, and he would compliment any variation of our midfield and would offer a bit of guile and creativity that Jennings and Lasley are often short of.

Who fucking knows, maybe McCall is aware that Jenno or Law could be lined up for a move at Christmas and he is getting ahead of the game by lining up a replacement already, maybe the gaffer WANTS to change the formation because he realises that the current one doesnt always work and thinks that a midfield 3 of Jennings, Lasley and Hughes and a front 3 of Law, Murphy and Higdon will offer more going forward than we have currently. Regardless of the reasons, I'll be chuffed if we can afford to sign Hughes and I'm more than happy to let the manager use HIS resources as he sees fit.

See when it comes down to it, pick any combination of our current midfielders you care to choose, and put them out on the park. Then replace any one of them with Stephen Hughes. You've just improved it.

If he's interested, for reasonable and affordable money, then fucking tie him to something until he signs.

• Like 1

It's not about change, anyway, it's about options. We have the option now of bringing on Daley for Humphrey. That's all well and good, but if a team has set up to defend against Humphrey, we aren't changing tactics with that swap.

Hughes would give us another creative weapon and might even free up Murphy a bit more.

Thats a fare point there Weeyin, but Murphy is finding space now but doing nothing with it, at present its working so why change it.

Dare I say it but Hughes could be the kind of player we need to provide Humphrey with the service he needs i.e. the ball threaded in behind defences for him to run onto instead of having to track back to halfway to pick up the ball then pick his legs up and start running from a standing start. I thought Law was going to give us that when he first came but it hasn't worked that way.

• Like 2

Dare I say it but Hughes could be the kind of player we need to provide Humphrey with the service he needs i.e. the ball threaded in behind defences for him to run onto instead of having to track back to halfway to pick up the ball then pick his legs up and start running from a standing start. I thought Law was going to give us that when he first came but it hasn't worked that way.

I've been saying that for weeks MJ. To get the most out of Humphrey and Murphy we are crying out for a Centre Midfield who can get on the ball and play a defence splitting FORWARD pass out wide between full back and centre half. Law, Murphy and Humphrey especially at home really need to come deep a lot to collect the ball, it then gets knocked to Higdon to lay it off and our midfield is usually pretty far behind relying on the full backs getting bye them to support and put the crosses in. Which is why we arent scoring a load of goals at home and our supposed goal scoring creative players are a bit off the play when the ball comes in.

If a team sits with a solid back four or 5 then we will struggle to break it down. I love Lasley and Jennings but sometimes to me they are too similar and whenever they get the ball in the middle its sideways and back ways and played short to our wide players. The games against Killie, Aberdeen etc we have cried out for a CM who can get on the ball and play a pass forward like a Hughes or dare I say it and will probably get crucified for even suggesting it, Ross Forbes.

• Like 2

I've been saying that for weeks MJ. To get the most out of Humphrey and Murphy we are crying out for a Centre Midfield who can get on the ball and play a defence splitting FORWARD pass out wide between full back and centre half. Law, Murphy and Humphrey especially at home really need to come deep a lot to collect the ball, it then gets knocked to Higdon to lay it off and our midfield is usually pretty far behind relying on the full backs getting bye them to support and put the crosses in. Which is why we arent scoring a load of goals at home and our supposed goal scoring creative players are a bit off the play when the ball comes in.

If a team sits with a solid back four or 5 then we will struggle to break it down. I love Lasley and Jennings but sometimes to me they are too similar and whenever they get the ball in the middle its sideways and back ways and played short to our wide players. The games against Killie, Aberdeen etc we have cried out for a CM who can get on the ball and play a pass forward like a Hughes or dare I say it and will probably get crucified for even suggesting it, Ross Forbes.

Bang On Mate..... couple of weeks ago when Humphrey rounded the keeper and put it over the top, came from a defence splitting pass, which pretty much rendered the Defence useless, Humphrey collected the ball at full pace, instead having to check back or use the stand in start....

I think the weekend highlighted as well that play through the wings may not be the best way for us to play. Hateley, Hammell, Law and Humphrey were pinging crosses in and while I do rate Higdon, he seemed pretty unwilling to be make a bursting run past in front of the Centre-Half.

I'd love Hughes back either way, just having a different option would be cracking.

Humphrey's pace can be electrifying, we all know that, but all too often he's caught out in no mans land and we lose the ball too easily because he either: A. takes on an unwinnable situation or B. he gives up when disposessed. He also doesn't seem to like trying for headers or tackling.

Now, I'm as aware as the next person that Humphrey can be a game changer when he's on form, but when he's clearly not been at his best for a while I don't think you can lay the blame for that solely on the midfield players. Same goes for Murphy, he's quite capable of creating the space for himself, but for the last few weeks he's been off form. In terms of results, the team hasn't been off form, so you can't blame their failings on everyone else necessarily.

That's like saying Higdon isn't playing well because Craigan keeps missing tackles :blink:

• Like 1

Bang On Mate..... couple of weeks ago when Humphrey rounded the keeper and put it over the top, came from a defence splitting pass, which pretty much rendered the Defence useless, Humphrey collected the ball at full pace, instead having to check back or use the stand in start....

Aye, rounded the 'keeper and didn't score :whistling:

Was that an admission that the guy isn't superman from his fan club?! :blink:

• Like 2

The games against Killie, Aberdeen etc we have cried out for a CM who can get on the ball and play a pass forward like a Hughes or dare I say it and will probably get crucified for even suggesting it, Ross Forbes.

Agree about Forbes. When we are playing at home and are facing teams with a more defensive set-up, it's a killer final ball that is going to win the game for us, not high crosses into a packed box.

Thats a fare point there Weeyin, but Murphy is finding space now but doing nothing with it, at present its working so why change it.

From what I have seen, Murphy is still playing out on the left - he's not as useful there. Putting Hughes into mid, would allow him to play a more central position and feed of Higdon. I think that is where he would thrive.

unless we have a youth player called hughes, it will be.

Reading on in this thread, I'm starting to think Hughes would be a good player to come back. He's versatile, skilful and still fairly young. So a pay as you play contract as an impact sub wouldn't be so bad although I still think it will be unfair on the benchwarner who loses their spot. Anyone whos forked out for 'WellTV, can see if/ how he played?

I would love to see Hughes back but if we only had funds to bring in one player (if any at all) then I reckon they would be better spent on bringing in a striker.

But, if we had the opportunity to bring in a midfielder that could chip in with some goals then surely they should be considered an option?

Hughes isn't a prolific goalscorer but does anyone know how his goalscoring compares to Jenno and Lasley's?

If he has a better strike rate then surely he should be considered as we have got to be looking for goals throughout the team to help take some of the (undeserved) pressure off Higdon.....

I am more interested in the work a midfielder does to get the ball to the strikers to help them score, and also the work they do as a line of defence.

can't just say, Mr Hughes has a slightly better goal ratio, so stick him on the park. other things need to be considered.

Just to say though, I would be happy for him to come back to the club, but the age old question of "who do you drop" has never been more prudent.

If we sign him and by the trasfer window we're looking good for at least a top six place, then I think it would be possible to also get a striker - either a signing or a loan deal.

This should give us enough cover though to the end of the season and allow SMcC to rest players.

With Motherwell's tight wage budget it would be crazy to sign another central midfielder. We already have Las and Jenno, who are playering very well together this season. We also have Hateley. We also signed Daley to be back up for our strikers as apparently he can play anywhere up front (although I have only seen him play on thew wing). If we were to sign one player I would hope it was a natural right back, which we don't have in our team at the moment. Hateley is doing okay there, but he isn't the best right back

I am more interested in the work a midfielder does to get the ball to the strikers to help them score, and also the work they do as a line of defence.

I agree, that should be the main role of a midfielder and we know what Hughes can do on that front.

If there was a massive goals difference (and Hughes 0.07 goals per game isn't exactly prolific, although it is better than both Jenno and Lasley) then could it be worth changing the shape of the team to accomodate Hughes if there was a chance of more goals?