2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

With Motherwell's tight wage budget it would be crazy to sign another central midfielder. We already have Las and Jenno, who are playering very well together this season. We also have Hateley. We also signed Daley to be back up for our strikers as apparently he can play anywhere up front (although I have only seen him play on thew wing). If we were to sign one player I would hope it was a natural right back, which we don't have in our team at the moment. Hately is doing okay there, but he isn't the best right back

Seriously?

Hateley is a strong contender for our poty so far.

Hughes would undoubtedly bring more goals to the team through his creativity.

I can see what people mean. If we did sign Hughes, we would have him, Lasley, Jennings, Hateley, Law, Forbes and Carswell who can all play centre midfield, not to mention Jonathan Page has featured there too. In theory we would perhaps be better signing a striker, but if Hughes can hit the form he did in his first season then he could make just as much of an attacking difference that a striker would.

With Motherwell's tight wage budget it would be crazy to sign another central midfielder. We already have Las and Jenno, who are playering very well together this season. We also have Hateley. We also signed Daley to be back up for our strikers as apparently he can play anywhere up front (although I have only seen him play on thew wing). If we were to sign one player I would hope it was a natural right back, which we don't have in our team at the moment. Hateley is doing okay there, but he isn't the best right back

Hateley is never a midfielder (except maybe in his own head)... although I would agree he's been one of our best players this season, but always at right back!

Would also disagree with the statement that Jennings has been playing well, no where near his best this season and has left Lasley trying to cover for him during a few games this season. I'd take Hughes in a second and a straight swap for Jennings at the moment would improve the team in my opinion.

Yeah, well he is okay, as I said, but he plays very much like a midfielder covering at right back.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but for me, that is aboslute nonsense.

I actually think anytime he's been played in midfield, he plays like a right back covering at midfield.

Except that Jennings is the anchor player and Hughes is the creative forward moving player who doesn't like doing the dirty work!

Can Lasley not be the anchor player? We appear to be playing with two anchor players at the moment which is causing a severe lack of creativity.

• Like 1

Can Lasley not be the anchor player? We appear to be playing with two anchor players at the moment which is causing a severe lack of creativity.

Double figure for corners in the last game doesn't sound like a lack of creativity to me at all. :blink: Lack of ability to finish is more of a concern

Double figure for corners in the last game doesn't sound like a lack of creativity to me at all. :blink: Lack of ability to finish is more of a concern

Its not rocket science is it? Lack of a real goal threat is indeed our problem. We're creating chances aplenty but not making opposing goalies work hard enough.

Lasley's playing a more forward role this season, and that is backed up by the fact he is actually scoring goals!

thank god....................i thought I was watching a different team from everyone else

just because Lasley doesn't have the same goal ratio as Frank Lampard doesn't mean he is an "anchor player" :doh:

our problem is that we don't shoot at goal. you don't shoot, you don't score. we try to over play it like Arsenal sometimes!!! however, there have been a few occasions this season when we've tried to get a shot away, that its been blocked and we've been done on the counter attack..

playing Killie last week, Harkins played in the hole off Heffernan................notice "off", not 100 yards away. As much as I like Murphy and Law, none of them do what he did when they are meant to be playing in that position. Harkins was my MOTM last week - not the paciest of players, but has clever feet, confidence in his own ability and is able to always find space.

Its hard to criticise the team when we are in this lofty position - but I do think signing Hughes would be a great deal. If he's here, he's living in Motherwell - surely getting something is better than nothing when you are going to FP every day anyway!! I think he would improve the first team - and i think it would give us different options and better competition for places (however I would feel for Forbes and Carswell who have done everything right this season when called upon)

sign him up please

Deal might not be done just yet.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall will hold talks with midfielder Stephen Hughes next week over the possibility of a short-term deal.Hughes has been training with his former club and played in a reserve game in midweek after his Norwich contract was cancelled by mutual consent earlier this month.

McCall said: "He is a good type, a good professional. He has played 60 minutes in a reserve game for us. We're going to have a little chat with him next week and we'll see."

After losing striker Bob McHugh and second-choice goalkeeper Lee Hollis to injury in the past week, to add to a long-term injury to defender Steven Saunders, McCall admits he probably has greater needs than signing a midfielder.

But Hughes was instrumental in Motherwell`s success under Mark McGhee during a two-year stay with his hometown team before he departed for Norwich in 2009.

The 28-year-old did not play for Norwich after undergoing ankle surgery in October last year and has not made a first-team appearance since March, when he was on loan at MK Dons.

McCall added: "Obviously his fitness levels aren't what they were but he is a naturally fit boy.

"It's not really an area where we're desperate, it's probably our strongest area, the middle of the park.

"Financially, we would have to sit down with him and I think if something would be done it would be a short-term deal, for us to have a look at him and him to have a look at us.

"The budget has been spent but we'll sit down with him and see what he's looking for and just have a chat. We thought for the first week or 10 days we would just let him get on with it and let him get his fitness levels up."

Link:

http://uk.eurosport....s-contract.html