2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I value the players highly too and would like to see Randy go eventually for seven figures.

But realism needs to kick in here somewhere.

This sums it up perfectly for me. We all rate him as being worth at least a mil but £600k is a lot of money for us, it could keep us ticking over for a year or two.

If he was sold for 600k and we got a solid young keeper in on loan in return I'd be pretty satisfied.

From my understanding of things, intitally the society will only have a couple of members on the board with the rest being made up of the present members.

to begin with but once the society holds the controlling interest all the directors will be appointed by members.

it also has to be remembered that the current directors will also be members of the society and considering the job they are doing at the moment will surely still be the best people to sit on the board. i was very impressed with wilson, weir and mcmahon at the meeting i attended.

what i hope to see from the society is increased communication. if there is a good reason to sell randolph for 600k in january then i'm sure everyone would accept it, the problem is not really knowing all the facts. hopefully when the society begins we all will all be better informed.

Along with the phrase 'bidding war', one of the greatest myths around football. Name me one player who has had his value pushed up by different teams instigating anything close to a 'bidding war'?

It doesn't happen.

Charlie Adam? Initial talk of 4/5 million bid, Blackpool stuck to their guns, 1 or 2 other teams showed an interest and he went for 8/9 million did he not?

to begin with but once the society holds the controlling interest all the directors will be appointed by members.

it also has to be remembered that the current directors will also be members of the society and considering the job they are doing at the moment will surely still be the best people to sit on the board. i was very impressed with wilson, weir and mcmahon at the meeting i attended.

what i hope to see from the society is increased communication. if there is a good reason to sell randolph for 600k in january then i'm sure everyone would accept it, the problem is not really knowing all the facts. hopefully when the society begins we all will all be better informed.

maybe the £600k keeps you from admin

Charlie Adam? Initial talk of 4/5 million bid, Blackpool stuck to their guns, 1 or 2 other teams showed an interest and he went for 8/9 million did he not?

The final price wasn't the result of a bidding war though, it was a result of Blackpool setting the price and sticking to it.

It's not eBay. If Adam is worth £9m and 4 clubs bid that, the bids are accepted and it's down to personal terms. As stated, actual 'bidding wars' are largely nonsense.

The final price wasn't the result of a bidding war though, it was a result of Blackpool setting the price and sticking to it.

It's not eBay. If Adam is worth £9m and 4 clubs bid that, the bids are accepted and it's down to personal terms. As stated, actual 'bidding wars' are largely nonsense.

Zigackly. Same with Goodwillie, it wasn't any sort of bidding contest, Dundee United said 'This is what he is worth, meet the demands and business will be done.'

Its a myth.

Of course Randolph is better than a lot of goalkeepers than have gone for more money but that's not how transfers work.

The buying club isn't a charity, it's trying to get the player for the least amount it can and they know small clubs desperately need money.

Better to think of transfer fees as a percentage of the clubs turn over. Randolph was at Albion Rovers no one would pay more than £50,000 for him. We can get more than that and if Randolph was a Liverpool player he'd be going for about £4 million.

Obviously we should try and get as much money for him as we can possibly negotiate but if he goes for £600K having got him for nothing and had two great seasons out of him, you can't really mumble too much.

As for Leeds Utd, Randolph made probably the biggest clanger in his Motherwell career against them so I'm a bit surprised if that's true!

As for Leeds Utd, Randolph made probably the biggest clanger in his Motherwell career against them so I'm a bit surprised if that's true!

Any club worth their salt wouldn't decide whether or not to sign a player going by 1 performance. If they do they deserve everything they get.

Mind you some managers sign players by watching a DVD that said player's agent sent them so maybe I'm talking pish rolleyes.gif

given our exploits in the league and cup last season, we were told that we were on a good financial basis for 2-3 years, and one of the reasons we managed to not sell anyone in the summer. So whats changed? Remember, our squad actually shrunk in the summer yet again.

To sell a valuable team member in January would be stupid, given his backup is injured and the difficulties in replacing him at that time. We have a hard enough job bringing players in the summer, never mind January. So whilst, we should not stand in the way of a player bettering himself, the timing of any move has to benefit both parties, and January would not seem to benefit us, especially given how well we are doing.

As for the valuation, seems somewhat low,given that apparent urgent need of the buying club (if Leeds) to solve a problem area. They want him that bad, let them pay over the odds. Yes, perhaps we are a selling club, but i thought the days of letting players go on the cheap was behind us, as we were investing in these players to sell on at a good price. Once you deduct fees, tax, vat, and costs to replace the player, i doubt any money left would be significant to make any real difference to our budgets.

As someone said, you let players go cheaply, i aint putting money into the club. I wonder how many others feel the same.

• Like 1

600k disnae seem much for one of our star players, but I'm more than happy to trust the managers judgement. For all we know, McCall is happy enough to gain the 600k for teh Club and utilise his contacts to sign another keeper on a freebie.

Its been a long time since I worried myself about any player leaving Fir Park as we're a seeling Club (we should all be used to it by now), if he goes, he goes and that will allow us to see who the manager will bring in.

The club in question is Leeds United but I still aint giving my source. :P

No offence Jim, but I'm completely disregarding your "insider knowledge" until something concrete comes of it.

As far as I'm concerned, Randolph is a Motherwell player and we're looking to cement a European spot this season. That's all I'm thinking about.

Oh, and the small matter of us beating Celtic and getting Lennon his jotters tomorrow.

I can't claim to know what price we might achieve in the current climate for any of our players. We've moved on from even relatively recent posers like when and how much to sell on Scott McDonald and Mark Reynolds.

But based on all the talk in the Well Society launch meeting about working towards the point where MFC dictate what is the optimum time to sell and the number of longer of term contracts the club have been signing and re-signing players on this just doesn't seem like that optimum time for Randolph for me.

Could be wrong but it would seem to me that if Randy doesn't want to extend further in the summer then that will be the time to do business.

I just can't see that, unless the club's hand is forced by a ludicrously large bid in January, they wouldn't have the savvy to realise the implications of selling on the cheap given that the number two is going to be out for a few months, the club has enjoyed a great start to the season and that they are looking for supporters to imminently invest a considerable amount of cash.

Lasley was questioned about Hughes on BBC Scotland last night. Starting to sound a wee bit positive even if it is only a short term deal. Sign him up till May!!

obviously we should give him a trial period but i think we should be looking long term.

we're probably going to be losing randolph, hateley, craigan, hutchy, murphy and law either this summer or the next. lasley is 33 next year and jenno is unpredictable. better to get the rebuilding in early.

Every one of them would cot another Club money apart from Craigan though (I think). Lasley is currently enjoying his best ever run and Jennings will always be gone as soon as soon as his situation is cleared. Difficult to get a right good standard in winter transfer window. I'd be happy bolstering the squad with Hughes and a striker (loan deal) in January with none out....in an ideal world.

No offence Jim, but I'm completely disregarding your "insider knowledge" until something concrete comes of it.

As far as I'm concerned, Randolph is a Motherwell player and we're looking to cement a European spot this season. That's all I'm thinking about.

Oh, and the small matter of us beating Celtic and getting Lennon his jotters tomorrow.

None taken David after all this thread has 187 pages and 3,728 posts of which 99.9% are complete and utter shite :lol:

Every one of them would cot another Club money apart from Craigan though (I think). Lasley is currently enjoying his best ever run and Jennings will always be gone as soon as soon as his situation is cleared. Difficult to get a right good standard in winter transfer window. I'd be happy bolstering the squad with Hughes and a striker (loan deal) in January with none out....in an ideal world.

what i mean is that though we might not desperately need hughes just now the chances are that by the end of next season half our first team squad will have left. w need to make sure we don't end up in the position we were in when mcghee left again.

i doubt hughes will be wanting to make another move south so if we could sign him and get maybe 4 seasons out of him it would be excellent for stability at the club.

we're probably going to be losing randolph, hateley, craigan, hutchy, murphy and law either this summer or the next. lasley is 33 next year and jenno is unpredictable. better to get the rebuilding in early.

Bollocks to that. We simply don't know who will still be with us when the new season kicks off. I remember all the talk of how many players we'd lose after the cup final, and it amounted to Sutton.

Besides, you have no idea who we'll be bringing in over the next year or two.

If Hughes is willing to sign until January or the end of the season for reasonable money, then fair enough. I'm still of the opinion though that we could be doing with using whatever money we have to strengthen other areas of the team.