2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Well thats your opinion, mine is that Goodwillie is a better player than Murphy. We might have knocked United out of the cups but Goodwillie still notched three goals against us last season(including his sublime overhead kick) for a team that finished comfortably above us in the league. He also racked up 19 goals, won caps for his country and won himself a multi million pound move to the Premiership to continue his development.

Murphy is a talented boy no doubt but I worry about the mental and physical side of his game. I like Murphy and he's got potential but if you offered me a straight swap Goodwillie for Murphy right now, I'd take it as I feel Goodwillie is the better player at this moment in time.

Can only judge players on what I see in front of me, and that says Murphy is/was better than Goodwilie at that time, Utd got a good bit of business there. His 'sublime' overhead kick wis a foul btw :evilgrin:

From the official site.

Following hot on the heels of Henrik Ojamaa penning a long-term deal yesterday, the club are delighted to confirm another young star, Stuart Carswell, has himself agreed a new contract.

‘Well boss Stuart McCall is a huge admirer of the Bellshill-born youngster and has rewarded him with a deal that will keep him at Fir Park until the summer of 2014.

Does anyone think we should offer an extension to Murphy's contract? He comes accross as someone who would rather stay amongst his friends, family, and play regular football at club where is happy. Remember he is still a young guy, and staying with us for another couple of years, still ensures a bigger move, assuming he wants it and he starts to perform consistantly.

Perhaps if Murphy actually had more belief in his own ability, it would be a step in trying to get consistancy.

I am not saying he would actually sign an extension, but if you dont ask...

Does anyone think we should offer an extension to Murphy's contract? He comes accross as someone who would rather stay amongst his friends, family, and play regular football at club where is happy. Remember he is still a young guy, and staying with us for another couple of years, still ensures a bigger move, assuming he wants it and he starts to perform consistantly.

Perhaps if Murphy actually had more belief in his own ability, it would be a step in trying to get consistancy.

+1

i saw this from mccall

"I was at a game and got a call to say we'd accepted a bid - certainly not a valuation myself or the staff would put on him.

"We value him higher than that, but needs must sometimes.

which begs the question who at fir park decides what is a good bid for our players?

This is something I have thought about in the past and I genuinely believe he is happy to stay at Motherwell long term. We need to manage him well and boost his confidence.

Exactly. When I heard the figure of £250,000 being accepted by the club I was pretty horrified to be honest.

Heard from who? source?

The only thing that has been confirmed by the Club is that a bid was accepted - absolutely no reference to the bid amount - mere speculation by you and others and nothing else I reckon.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats wrong with the three we have? Fair Enough, Randolph may be leaving in the summer, but Hollis has been trained to fill his role. Cerny would possibly get onto our bench if Tom Bradley was injured. We had three on the pitch yesterday, and not one of them was Hollis so, I don't think adding another to the equation would do much for the club.

• 2 weeks later...

i saw this from mccall

which begs the question who at fir park decides what is a good bid for our players?

My 2 cents worth:

This is why the 'Well Society is so vital.

We are all but blacklisted with any bank and will quickly run out of money if we have a bottom 6 run for a few years. Previously John Boyle helped out when we needed to address cash flow but unfortunately that is no longer an option.

We need a financial buffer and the long term security of our club is at risk if we can't have that safety zone available.

Stuart McCall has a yearly objective to sell a player as a direct consequence of the situation we find ourselves in.

I'm certain that's why we accept such low offers.

The 'Well Society could change and put us in a better bargaining position.

Latest from your very own Football Rumours Site!

01 Mar 2012 13:23:16

The takeover at Reading has now been completed and ratified. This will be announced within the next fortnight.

Brian McDermott has been given license to start enquiries and has already sounded out the availability of Jamie Murphy from Motherwell, Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield and Martyn Waghorn from Leicester. Reading have conceded defeat in the hunt for Mackail-Smith from Brighton.

Latest from your very own Football Rumours Site!

01 Mar 2012 13:23:16

The takeover at Reading has now been completed and ratified. This will be announced within the next fortnight.

Brian McDermott has been given license to start enquiries and has already sounded out the availability of Jamie Murphy from Motherwell, Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield and Martyn Waghorn from Leicester. Reading have conceded defeat in the hunt for Mackail-Smith from Brighton.

Oh well we are definitely losing Murphy then ...

looks light some lightening of the budget over the summer -

Last paragraphs -

"Despite the strong position at Motherwell Stuart McCall anticipates that there will still need to be reductions to the spending at the club next season.

The manager said: "We will have to see where we finish, but I would imagine, at this moment in time, we'll be looking to cut the budget."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/motherwell/299567-stuart-mccall-wary-of-facing-wounded-dunfermline/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

With it being all but confirmed that Rangers won't be playing in Europe next season I have to wonder if the attraction of a crack at the Champions League qualifiers or a Europa League place will convince any of our players who were maybe considering leaving in the summer to stay?

I'm thinking about the likes of Randolph, Jennings & Murphy.

With it being all but confirmed that Rangers won't be playing in Europe next season I have to wonder if the attraction of a crack at the Champions League qualifiers or a Europa League place will convince any of our players who were maybe considering leaving in the summer to stay?

I'm thinking about the likes of Randolph, Jennings & Murphy.

You would hope so. Im hoping we can push on and make a real effort to get 2nd. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is a reported £900k. Given that we certainly dont budget for a 3rd place finish, it would be a jackpot. Would hopefully mean McCall can go another season without selling anyone.