2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I have never ever doubted Stephen Craigan's commitment to the C&A but time catches up with us all eventually and his time has come. As for coaching the younger defenders Iwould have no problem with that only not on the park during games. If that's the view then get him onto the coaching staff. Our defence is shocking at times. The back four seem incapable of keeping a line and if you watch them during games they are all over the place. As we are not going to be able to sign world beating forwards we need to address the defence and make ourselves hard to score against. Sorry but Stephen Craigan is not the answer but part of the problem.

Sorry but Stephen Craigan is not the answer but part of the problem.

Well that all depends on what the alternatives are.

I am quite sure McCall knows what is available and if HE feels it is better having Craigan around for another year, I am all for that. We have 3 very young central defenders and hopefully 2 0f the 3 will be mainstays for the next season or 2. But they need guidance and I would MUCH rather have Craigan than some other older Central defender who has not got a fraction of the passion for Motherwell.

It p1sses me off how dismissive some fans can be of Craigan. He deserves better. No-one disputes his best days are probably behind him, but he is still a good few years younger that Davie Weir :evilgrin:

I think with the earlier than normal start to the new season its time McCall got the finger out with regard to new signings. Personally, I doubt that we will see many if any new arrivals despite the cash garnered as a result of to good cup runs + tv revenue from these. We may well be bank-debt free, which is fine but we are clearly strapped for money and clearly there is no intention to change that. There is nothing wrong with carrying a debt provided you can comfortably service it. The club expect people to fork out hard-earned cash on season tickets so lets see some plans for the playing side. I really fear that we are going to struggle next season and over the coming seasons and that we may find ourselves in a lower league.

I think with the earlier than normal start to the new season its time McCall got the finger out with regard to new signings. Personally, I doubt that we will see many if any new arrivals despite the cash garnered as a result of to good cup runs + tv revenue from these. We may well be bank-debt free, which is fine but we are clearly strapped for money and clearly there is no intention to change that. There is nothing wrong with carrying a debt provided you can comfortably service it. The club expect people to fork out hard-earned cash on season tickets so lets see some plans for the playing side. I really fear that we are going to struggle next season and over the coming seasons and that we may find ourselves in a lower league.

It's already been confirmed that our player budget will remain the same as last season. I imagine that is a better predicament than most of our SPL counterparts will be facing.

Given the focus on the Cup Final, I wouldn't expect us to be busy in the transfer market at this moment in time. Dundee United, Hearts, St Johnstone etc are currently announcing signings that have been lined up for a while. I think there will be a fair bit of activity at Fir Park next month.

Craigan puts his heart n soul into every game and gets people around him playing he's a good captain. Distribution is shocking. But a good captain. As for reducing the goals against column? Line-up like we did against celtic on Sat and bring in a decent holding m/f player.

Does the club ever arrange games for all the out of contract players to attend like they do down south

Not quite sure what you mean by that Jamsie. If you're asking do Motherwell have bounce games where trialists are involved then yes, and that's not just restricted to the two transfer windows.

If you're asking do Motherwell's freed youngsters play in exit trials then yes, there have been players who've done that in the past. If you're asking do Motherwell look for players at exit trials then yes again, as that how they got wind of Shaun Hutchinson.

says in the record this morning jeffers is away but McCall thinks Jenno will knock back Aberdeen and stay with us

Sounds as though he'll probably be heading north then! What is McCall basing his thoughts on? He's going to say stuff like that to the press whether he means it or not. All Aberdeen have to do is offer him a load more cash and he'll be off.

The reality however is that money talks and a players career is short so if Aberdeen can offer more than Well, then he will go. I have a feeling that McCall may offer him Captaincy to stay however with Hartley gone at the Dons Brown may be offering him the same up there.

Money is a factor but how much more will Aberdeen pay than us and is it worth it? Remember Aberdeen is another couple of hundred miles away from Merseyside and almost everyone at Aberdeen this season said publically that it was an absolute misery with all the pressure, relationship with the fans and board, terrible results and long winless streaks etc, etc. Paul Hartley for one got out quick and reading between the lines he more or less said he wished he'd never signed and couldn't get out quick enough!

There is also the factor that signing on at Aberdeen is a step into the unknown, they will have an almost entirely different team next season, at Motherwell he knows who he is working with.

I've said it before but if he leaves I think it will be down south not up north.

The Aberdeen Evening Express from today is saying the same thing as the Wishaw Press I think;

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall believes Steve Jennings will snub Aberdeen FC to stay at Fir Park.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown is an admirer of the 26-year-old midfielder, who is out of contract this summer.

He said: “They can afford to offer him more money than we could, but his family is settled here and he might not fancy moving so far north.”

Here we go again, every fucking pre-seaon we get this same shite.

Here we go again, every fucking pre-seaon we get this same shite.

That's what I was thinking. Was El Grew not so worried about the same thing during Gannon's pre-season that he joined a snooker club so he'd have something to do on a Saturday afternoon?

When Jennings came in to replace (who was it? can barely remember now) hardly anyone had heard of him. If he goes, no doubt his replacement will be equally unknown (and cause as much consternation when he, in turn decides to move on).

Not quite sure what you mean by that Jamsie. If you're asking do Motherwell have bounce games where trialists are involved then yes, and that's not just restricted to the two transfer windows.

If you're asking do Motherwell's freed youngsters play in exit trials then yes, there have been players who've done that in the past. If you're asking do Motherwell look for players at exit trials then yes again, as that how they got wind of Shaun Hutchinson.

yeah cheers kinda ment as ive seen a few clubs down south arranging games and fielding a team of trialists agains another a kinda open day

It's already been confirmed that our player budget will remain the same as last season. I imagine that is a better predicament than most of our SPL counterparts will be facing.

Exactly, it has indeed.

I would guess that we'll now be looking for 2 strikers to replace Jeffers & Sutton. Most other clubs will be cutting back. Hearts have signed 3 players but are likely to lose at least 3. St Johnstone have signed David Robertson and Callum Davidson but have lost Grainger and Duberry. Killie have lost Hamill.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall believes Steve Jennings will snub Aberdeen FC to stay at Fir Park.

He said: “They can afford to offer him more money than we could, but his family is settled here and he might not fancy moving so far north.”

I seem to remember a similar rhetoric from McCall with Blackman,im sure he said if Blackman came back to Scotland he was confident it would be to Motherwell. :whistling:

Just checked out a few things there age-wise, and Jonathan Page, Shaun Hutchinson, Steven Meechan, Jordan Halsman and Gary Smith are all older than Gavin Gunning.

Rather than lacking anything, I think for Gunning to be at the standard he is right now, we should be throwing high class hookers through his bedroom window to encourage him to sign with us!!

What happened to Rosie Alan????

I seem to remember a similar rhetoric from McCall with Blackman,im sure he said if Blackman came back to Scotland he was confident it would be to Motherwell. :whistling:

To be fair, by that stage he'd realised Blackman was mince and wanted to get one over on Broon by bigging him up.